Removal of stereo - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Tempo Forum | Mercury Topaz Forum
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Ford Tempo Forum | Mercury Topaz Forum Forum for discussion of the Ford Tempo and Mercury Topaz.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-17-2001, 15:40   #1 (permalink)
darkbastard22

Question Removal of stereo

I'd like to know how to get my stereo out without having the special magic Ford wand. A lot of you have replaced them, I see. There are a few obvious ways to do it, but my chainsaw is out for repair.
Hope someone can help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-17-2001, 16:24   #2 (permalink)
Urmama

magic wand

It's only about $5.00. It's worth it, you could try to go in there with allen wrenches but if you mess up the tabs in there it could be a big pain in the ass.
Old 06-19-2004, 21:13   #3 (permalink)

Re: Removal of stereo

use 2 peace of a coat hanger bent into a u shape then insert eact side of the u into the holes then pull away from the radio, with a firg grip but not to har then slid the raidio out straigh or it will buckle and get stuck and u will have to fight with it. i removed mine with a coat hanger i got from the dry cleaners.. or was it the one that was here when i moved in??? lol either way didnt cost me nothing cept 5 min of my time to make it... anf then 5 more min to remove the radio deck.
Juggalo_X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2004, 21:37   #4 (permalink)

The problem is if somebody has tried to remove the radio before you and has either bent or broken the clips. Your in trouble.

A radio with decent clips can be out in less than 30 seconds. I've also spent over 30 minutes ripping the face plate off and use flat screw drivers to break/bend the clips to remove the radio.
1999 Grand Marquis GS (4.6/auto)
dagr8tim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2004, 10:32   #5 (permalink)

If you haven't done anything to it yet, you should be allright. The coat hanger thing works, tho. That's how I got mine out. Took about 15 seconds. Make sure not to go more than 1 inch in to the stereo, and then apply a little ******d pressure on the hanger/clips. Many people push the clips in and then pull straight out. You have to push the bars/hangers away from each other to release the clips on the side of the radio.
Old 11-22-2006, 15:51   #6 (permalink)

I am looking for a factory stereo (96 mustang gt). any suggestions where to find or anyone selling?
Sundevil31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2006, 18:46   #7 (permalink)
93 2.3 MTX BOLTED OUT!

if hangers dont work, disconnect the neg. battery cable, and maybe the + to lol, take a very large skill saw and cut a square hole in the dash around the deck as deep as possible, from the vehicle u wish to ubtain the deck from, parked in the mall. skill saws work 2, having a cordless 1 really helps!!

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Tempo Forum | Mercury Topaz Forum