RKE wiring - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Tempo Forum | Mercury Topaz Forum
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Ford Tempo Forum | Mercury Topaz Forum Forum for discussion of the Ford Tempo and Mercury Topaz.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-24-2004, 21:09   #1 (permalink)

RKE wiring

I have got a remote keyless entry system for my Topaz. My question (for now) deals with the power locks part of the system.

My power locks in the Topaz are NOT factory. They are an aftermarket system I purchased from eBay last year. When I installed them, I cut an auxilary plug on the power lock system and wired a pair of power lock switches (from an 88 Tempo) to it. The plug had three wires: red (hot), green (unlock), and blue (lock). Using a multimeter, I discovered which wires on the switches did the same actions (lock and unlock) and spliced the switch wires into the plug wires. The red (hot) wire from the auxilary plug I put to a constant 12V source with the main power wire from the lock system.

When I get this remote keyless entry system, I want to be able to use BOTH the switches AND the remote to lock and unlock my doors. I am thinking a relay is needed somewhere....but where?

I DID save the auxilary plug (and about 1" of wiring) from the lock system, would I wire a relay between the wiring for the factory lock switches and the plug to go into the remote keyless entry? Or are relays needed elsewhere?

My power lock system actuators have two wires going to them (green for lock and blue for unlock); unlike the wiring for the power locks that come factory with the Tempo and Topaz. Since my lock system is set up like this (with all actuators going to a central locking module which I placed under the dash on the driver side), I doubt I would need 2 relays per door (1 for lock and 1 for unlock). My Topaz is a 4 door model.

Thanks to all who make a helpful reply!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-25-2004, 09:12   #2 (permalink)

Re: RKE wiring

All 4 doors are going to unlock or lock at the same time, right? Why not hook a relay up to the unlock circuit and one to the unlock circuit under the dash?
1999 Grand Marquis GS (4.6/auto)
dagr8tim is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Tempo Forum | Mercury Topaz Forum