Road Trip Preparations - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Tempo Forum | Mercury Topaz Forum
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Ford Tempo Forum | Mercury Topaz Forum Forum for discussion of the Ford Tempo and Mercury Topaz.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-10-2001, 09:53   #1 (permalink)
HO V6 XR5i

Road Trip Preparations

This Saturday I'm getting cut a sweet deal on some window tinting. The 93 will get 5% tint all round with the windshield being %35 or slightly darker. I'm painting the whole car black in the future, so this will complement the paint. This Saturday I'm also going to fix the front left wheel stud problem. I'm going to use a small pilot drill bit and go through the stud, then work up some sizes till the stud is no longer there. Then I'll press in the new stud I bought.

I'm making a cross country trip beginning August 1st so I'm gonna get some stuff necessary for the trip. Round trip and driving in VA will clock over 5000 miles on the car. Do you guys think I should get a bra and something to cover the headlights with? I'm considering this just for preventative measures, not for looks, I'd like to avoid rock chips (and bugs can even chip paint). I will average 85MPH most of the trip since there are lot of open roads on the way. I may wing it without a bra, but I will probably cover the front lights in some thick clear plastic to keep them from getting damaged. The HSC's serpentine belt is totally dry rotted but I don't want to install a new belt just for a few more thousand miles, but I will buy one just in case. If the old one doesn't snap, I will return the new one and get my money back. Other than that I've completely "probed" the car in and out and it's ready to roll. The clutch is worn and completely soaked in oil (but it'll make it fine) and the right axle seal is leaking, but I'll get some ATF just in case. The front and rear main seals leak some and long highway trips tend to burn some oil, so I'm getting oil also. Also getting an aux gas tank, in case I run low on gas from the lack of a gas station on the way. Any other road trip preparation suggestions? Thanks.

1987 GLS - Genesis...
1988 XR5 - Will Always Live...
1993 HO XR5i - 3rd Time's a Charm...

<A HREF="http://www.zianet.com/roteno1981" TARGET="_blank">Guillermo's Garage
GuillermoXR5i is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-10-2001, 10:44   #2 (permalink)
Topaz Member

Bra

I would definetly suggest on getting a bra for your car. You may be planning to paint your car, but the bra will keep all those bugs from getting embedded into your paint. Driving across Texas, youw ill really want it. Those bugs will be caked into the front end and it will really be a time consuming process to get them off.

Just my .02

-Brian
XR5TopazBri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2001, 09:27   #3 (permalink)
Urmama

Read x country

Even though it is summer, it is always good to have something to keep you warm in the event of an emergency. A good Beenie, watchcap, or tobbagan for the summer can make you a lot less miserable if you should break down in the mountains, or with a cold front coming in. Also water is good to have, a cell pfone, and keep your dog tags on for quick blood-type identification.
Remain vigulant, think like a criminal, don't let yourself become a victim.

Once again I have disabled all smiles from this post.
Old 07-11-2001, 09:31   #4 (permalink)
Urmama

Window tint

I noticed that you already have your DOD sticker. If you are traveling because of PCS orders remember that they will scrape your sticker, when you get to your next duty station you will have to apply again and if you have illegal tint they will make you scrape it off. If you are keeping your sticker just roll down your windows when you come through the gate.
Old 07-31-2001, 07:55   #5 (permalink)
Topaz Member

Re: Trip Stuff

Hey G, check the old mesg. board for a few more suggestions.
Have a safe trip!
Big Daddy D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Tempo Forum | Mercury Topaz Forum