Ford Forums banner

serpentine belt broke - need help

3K views 3 replies 2 participants last post by  kerk 
#1 ·
My son drives our '94 2.3 Tempo. Late last night he came in and said it was making a squeal so I went out and started it up and it squealed real loud, blew some smoke from under the hood and then the noise and smoke stopped but the noise stopped. I turned off the car to find that the serpentine belt broke all the way through!! It was less than six months old. Today I looked at it again and it looks like it was worn down until it snapped. I reached down and tried to turn the alternator and it will not turn. I'm thinking that the alternator froze up and broke the belt. What am I going to have to do to get running again?? Could this have caused internal damage? What should I do?

#4 ·
Well pulled out the alternator today and it was shot. Opposite the pulley the shaft and bearings were exposed and some of the bearings had fallen out. There was shreds of metal everywhere as well. Got an alternator at the junk yard for $35 and a belt at Auto Zone, put them on, and the Tempo is back on the road! I made the boy do some of the work. It was his first time under the hood so he wasn't able to do much.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.