Solenoids, solenoids, and more solenoids... - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Tempo Forum | Mercury Topaz Forum
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Ford Tempo Forum | Mercury Topaz Forum Forum for discussion of the Ford Tempo and Mercury Topaz.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-20-2004, 11:04   #1 (permalink)

Solenoids, solenoids, and more solenoids...

Hello people,
Does anyone know the correct solenoid setup for the solenoid mounted on the engine wall of a 1993 Mercury Topaz? We replaced the solenoid in a 93 Mercury Topaz and noticed that the wire routing is different than in my 94 Ford Tempo. The newly replaced solenoid caused what appeared to be a short (it started to smoke)in the wiring apparatus near the left strut as we reattached the battery cable. The car at this time also began to start on its own. They keys were in the ignition but the car was NOT on. Therefore we concluded that there is something up with the weird wire routing. Also, there are some wires that are not connected to this particular solenoid for what reason I don't know. Anyways, I went ahead and connected the wires similar to how they were connected in my 94 Tempo. Needless to say, the 93 Topaz now runs a little weird, the "AMP" warning light is now constantly on and every now and then the headlights go dim for no apparent reason. I know this all sounds confusing but basically what I need is a routing diagram for the left engine wall mounted solenoid for a 93 Mercury Topaz. Any help you can offer is greatly appreciated.
MizzCherylz is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-23-2004, 07:12   #2 (permalink)

Re: Solenoids, solenoids, and more solenoids...

It should be the same selenoid (which is actually a relay) on the 93 & 94. Ford used that same exact design for atleast 20 years. I know the Advance Auto Parts number is an "SS94". Most replacement selonoids have 4 terminals, where the originals only had 3.

Basically all of the wires go on the on large terminal that connects to the battery. Then one black wire goes on the other large terminal to the starter. Then a small wire clips on to the small terminal on top as it is mounted. If you wire the selonoid wrong, it should just blow the selonoid.

I'm going to say you have either a wiring fault in the harness, or had the selnoid wired wrong. I know I used my 91 as a referance when I did it on my 92 because the previous owner tried to rewire the starter and had it bass ackwards.

The amp light issue sounds like either the alternator is going bad or there is a short in the harness. I'd check where the smoke was comming from for melted wiring. You can also go to about any advance or autozone and have them do an alternator test while it is on the car.
1999 Grand Marquis GS (4.6/auto)
dagr8tim is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Tempo Forum | Mercury Topaz Forum