Starter on 92 Topaz - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Tempo Forum | Mercury Topaz Forum
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Ford Tempo Forum | Mercury Topaz Forum Forum for discussion of the Ford Tempo and Mercury Topaz.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-11-2008, 22:56   #1 (permalink)

Starter on 92 Topaz

Okay,

so I went outside this morning to use my car and it just wouldn't start. Just making a click noise. I have to guess its not the battery since its new and so is the alternator.

I looked online and at some books and it seems the first thing to check is the starter and check the postive cable going to it see if there is corrosion and junk on it. I can't find the starter in the car. I know what the starter is suppose to look like but I can't seem to find it. Where approximately is its. Drivers side, etc. Any diagram anywhere to follow? That would be very helpful.

If there is no corrosion, than I have to assume its needs the new starter? The car still has the original, and its a 92 topaz with about 87,000 miles on it.

If it needs a new starter I saw looking online that people say it costs quite a bit (like a 150 or more) to get a new one. Are the ones on eBay for like 60 fine? Like this one

eBay Motors: NEW FORD TEMPO TOPAZ 2.3L STARTER MOTOR 91 92 93 94 (item 370032498151 end time Apr-12-08 13:01:47 PDT)

I'm right now a pretty poor college student with my car stuck in a garage, so I'd rather not have to pay to have it towed to someplace to then have the starter put in.

I've also heard from people before that you can "whack" the starter with a hammer and see if that will get it going if its not moving.

I have only done some basic work on the car. Change the oil, put in a new head light, and put in a new turn signal after someone smashed it, cleaned battery connectors, etc.

Is there any hope to do it myself, or am I screwed and better get ready to fork over some cash for a tow truck, starter, and labor?

Thanks!
joe2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-12-2008, 19:21   #2 (permalink)
Multi-Group Moderator

Exclamation Re: Starter on 92 Topaz

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe2 View Post
Okay,

so I went outside this morning to use my car and it just wouldn't start. Just making a click noise. I have to guess its not the battery since its new and so is the alternator.

I looked online and at some books and it seems the first thing to check is the starter and check the postive cable going to it see if there is corrosion and junk on it. I can't find the starter in the car. I know what the starter is suppose to look like but I can't seem to find it. Where approximately is its. Drivers side, etc. Any diagram anywhere to follow? That would be very helpful.

If there is no corrosion, than I have to assume its needs the new starter? The car still has the original, and its a 92 topaz with about 87,000 miles on it.

If it needs a new starter I saw looking online that people say it costs quite a bit (like a 150 or more) to get a new one. Are the ones on eBay for like 60 fine? Like this one

eBay Motors: NEW FORD TEMPO TOPAZ 2.3L STARTER MOTOR 91 92 93 94 (item 370032498151 end time Apr-12-08 13:01:47 PDT)

I'm right now a pretty poor college student with my car stuck in a garage, so I'd rather not have to pay to have it towed to someplace to then have the starter put in.

I've also heard from people before that you can "whack" the starter with a hammer and see if that will get it going if its not moving.

I have only done some basic work on the car. Change the oil, put in a new head light, and put in a new turn signal after someone smashed it, cleaned battery connectors, etc.

Is there any hope to do it myself, or am I screwed and better get ready to fork over some cash for a tow truck, starter, and labor?

Thanks!
Did you check the battery voltage with a voltmeter??? Which engine do you have, the 2.3L I4 or the 3.0L V6??? Check voltage drop by connecting one voltmeter lead to the positive battery terminal, one to the positive battery cable clamp. You should not have more then 0.50V reading. Do the same test on the negative terminal. More than 0.50V indicates dirty terminals. If it's just a single click then check the starter tap it with a hammer while holding the key in the start position. If the starter then works, as long as the cable is tight and clean then you have a bad starter. Also check the connections at the starter relay, which is on the LF inner fender, just follow the positive cable to it.
tbird100636 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2008, 16:54   #3 (permalink)

Re: Starter on 92 Topaz

It must be the HSC 2.3L. My '93 starter is towards the front of the car, not the side that faces the interior or firewall (can't be drivers or passengers since it's a transverse engine). It's about half way, in the middle, where the engine meets with the transmission... Didn't look to be that bad of a job.

Pete
Psychopete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2008, 13:37   #4 (permalink)

Also something else to consider - check the cellunoids for the starter - you have two of them one on the wall by the battery and one connected to the starter. Sometimes if you hook up jumper cables to the cellunoid the car will start if the there is a problem with them.
Old 05-05-2008, 10:38   #5 (permalink)

When a starter goes it typically let you know a bit before hands. Slow cranking for a while. No good crank in cold weather. Then it will click and start for a while before just clicking and die
A starter usually does not just go dead from one day to another although it can happen. It these symptoms were present as i mentioned, the starter is now dead.

any starter not made in China or Korea is OK. But avoid Ebay. Bad stuff there and usually from Asia. Crap hardware. If you want good price and reasonable quality use Rock Auto or saome similar sites (and avoid Chinese parts).
I got a non OEM new of $90 made in the US from a local auto parts store (for warranty).
Make sure your battery connection is clean. Start with that. Get a device to measure the battery charge (a few buck in a store). Do not go with the voltage only because it may be ok but the starter will demand much more. In doubt get to a shop to test the battery (cheap).
check the wire at the starter of good connection.
Then if all ok check the relay on the fender (like someone elses said) It can be tested.
finally replace your starter if all ok because it is dead when you reach this step.

I also forgot, the starter is eas to take off in a 92 (front under of the engine). You can just take it off and bring it to Performance auta parts or autozone and they can test it for you free of charge. That may be your best approach after cleaning the battery connectors. that is what i did. I got the new one from them too
CountachQV is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Tempo Forum | Mercury Topaz Forum