Steering Column - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
» Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Tempo Forum | Mercury Topaz Forum
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Ford Tempo Forum | Mercury Topaz Forum Forum for discussion of the Ford Tempo and Mercury Topaz.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-15-2001, 14:25   #1 (permalink)
Mini Tempo Member

Steering Column

Me and My mom both own Tempos, but there is something wrong with hers. The key is hard to get into the ignition and the blinkers don't work unless you jiggle and hold them down. Is the only way of fixing this replacing the entire steering column? or is there something else that I could do? How difficult is this problem to fix by myself or should it be taken to a garage? Also, if its not a hard job to do what tools would I need to do it? I've never worked on a car a day in my life and the only thing to help me is a haynes manual.
LittleMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-15-2001, 14:28   #2 (permalink)
Mini Tempo Member

Also...

She also needs the CV Joint replaced. What are the prices of the parts and tools to fix that one too?
LittleMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2001, 15:03   #3 (permalink)
Tempo GL Member

Suggestion

You might try this:

Remove the plastic cover of the steering column. There should be a couple of screws holding it on. Once you get it off there should be a large wireing connector with lots of wires on it. I suspect that your problems might be with this connection. See if it is loose. It may be. If it is just pop it back on. YOu could also check it for corrosion.

Hope this will help

Ryan
Ryan90GL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2001, 07:47   #4 (permalink)
Tempo L Member

The entire signal lever assembly and/or ignition tumbler (where you put the key) can be replaced without having to replace the column. You probably have to get the tumber from ford, but the lever assembly can be had quite easily from a junkyard. As for a CV joint, prices vary from place to place so the best way to find out is to call a couple of places to find out.

You can get boot kits where you basically take apart the joint and clean/inspect and repack the joint, these are relatively cheap. I don't think you can repairt the joint if its gone bad though, just repack it. You may have to get an entire drivaxle then, or you could go to a junkyard and pick that up too, then go get some new boot kits and repack the CV joints as long as the joints are good.
Duner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2001, 17:45   #5 (permalink)
HO V6 XR5i

CV Joints

I would definetely stay away from those "EZ" boots, the ones that are halves and come together. Repairing CV joints is cake. If the bearings are dry, just replace the bearings, repack, then replace the boot with a QUALITY one and clamp the clip and voila. Joints are so cheap nowadays that it may just be more convinient to get a remaned one at the store......whatever you do if you do replace them yourself.......DO USE the circlip, I know a lot of mechanics that get lazy and leave the clip off so it can slide in the diff easier.....bad things happen if you don't use that clip

1987 GLS - Genesis...
1988 XR5 - Will Always Live...
1993 HO XR5i - 3rd Time's a Charm...

<A HREF="http://www.zianet.com/roteno1981" TARGET="_blank">Guillermo's Garage
GuillermoXR5i is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Tempo Forum | Mercury Topaz Forum

Related Reading: Steering Column