Tempo A/C left me... - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Tempo Forum | Mercury Topaz Forum
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Ford Tempo Forum | Mercury Topaz Forum Forum for discussion of the Ford Tempo and Mercury Topaz.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-12-2003, 14:52   #1 (permalink)

Tempo A/C left me...

Hey all!
I have a 1987 2-door Tempo GL which is equipped with Air Conditioning. Now... The A/C worked absolutely fabulous when I first got the car... in fact... It worked all summer last year with the same amount of "strength" (if thats what you want to call it). It never gave out or anything... But this summer... it doesn't work at all... It does, however, blow hot air (I assume this is because it is trying to get cool air from the condenser but... i can't... or something)... well... the air isn't HOT, it varies with the weather, so if it were -30 C then it would be real fuggin cold... but since it is 60 degrees hotter than that (30 C) outside... it seems about that temp. So what I want to know, is what could be causing this, what could I do to fix it, and how much would it cost (roughly)?
taosd is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-12-2003, 15:03   #2 (permalink)
WarHorse

Low freon (or whatever it is now days). Have it charged at an A/C shop. Depending on what the refrigerant is $50 - $500.
Old 07-12-2003, 17:10   #3 (permalink)

I'd love to do that, but they will not recharge it, becasue they don't recharge the type of freon i use in my car...

Sorry if that sounded sarcastic, it wasn't meant to... i just read it... and it sounds mean... my apologies...

Last edited by taosd; 07-12-2003 at 23:48.
Old 07-13-2003, 06:38   #4 (permalink)
WarHorse

Didn't they (whoever they are, assuming it's a A/C shop) suggest that you can do a conversion? They should be able to do that. But again, $$$!
Old 07-13-2003, 12:45   #5 (permalink)

Re: Tempo A/C left me...

Quote:
Originally Posted by WarHorse
Didn't they (whoever they are, assuming it's a A/C shop) suggest that you can do a conversion? They should be able to do that. But again, $$$!
yeah, i'm sure they could do that... but thats like well over $700 to do on a $800 car.. so... not really worth it
Old 07-13-2003, 13:09   #6 (permalink)
***** Idiot....

Well there are no real other things that you can do. You can either swap it out for a new system or go without ac. If you have the old system they are not going to charge it. You may get lucky and find some place, but good luck on that.
LunaticSVT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2003, 23:20   #7 (permalink)
***** Idiot....

there is one viable option. You can try to go from R12 to another other than r134 or whatever the new one is.

But your model Requirs a new condensors
For good cooling performance, Ford does recommend replacing the original condenser with a larger, more efficient condenser for the 1988-91 Tempo & Topaz 2.3L
LunaticSVT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2003, 16:28   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by LunaticSVT
there is one viable option. You can try to go from R12 to another other than r134 or whatever the new one is.

But your model Requirs a new condensors
For good cooling performance, Ford does recommend replacing the original condenser with a larger, more efficient condenser for the 1988-91 Tempo & Topaz 2.3L
what do you figure that would cost? To get all that put in?
Old 11-16-2003, 20:08   #9 (permalink)
Sladezero

Hey there,

Unless you are certified to do the conversion yourself then it really isn't
in your best interest as far as $$$. What I mean by certified is you don't
allow the freon into the air IE: EPA stuff. That's why there is a new
standard out. Being yours is a 1987, mine is 1993 and already to cheap to
spend money on then you are stuck. My A/C went out at the beginning of
last year 2002. I am going to sell my Tempo when the first major
part needs to be replaced.

Slade
Old 05-22-2004, 00:18   #10 (permalink)

Solution available! You need to check AC system, and recharge it with R134 freon. NO NEED FOR ANY RETROFIT PARTS (e.g. bigger compressor or condenser)!!! Any refrigeration technician can do it, or AC/ automechanics. Especially if you ask specific questions. There is a need for special equipment - gages, airpomp, freon tank, and knowledge.

TESTS: 1) Check if AC system holds vacuum. Done with air pomp connected to low presure side service valve.
-> If holds = no major leaks!
-> If doesn't = major leak, look first at condenser (in front of radiator, where rooks can damage it), then at other parts seeking oily residue. Might need special equipment (tester) for that.
2) Check if compressor pomping. Done (after making sure there is no major leak and charging AC with freon or other agent!) with gages connected to low presure side service valve. Pressure should get to ~ 30 PSI.
-> If compressor pomping, you are good to go = charge AC with R134 freon WITHOUT ANY RETROFIT COMPONENTS (or you can get small kit in auto stores for ~ $20.) and enjoy cool summer!
-> If compressor not pomping (most likely that compressor clutch worn), replace it along with clutch (it's one unit). Get it at junk yard for ~$70. or at stores for ~ $150. For that you'll need AC lines disconnect tool set (plastic semi-rings) for ~$10.
-> If compressor is making grinding noise = probably accumulator (receiver/drier) is clogged up. Replace at stores with NEW, ~$40.
-> If compressor is whining = AC system is probably overcharged. Check pressures and discharge accordingly.
3) Check pressure on both sides of AC after charging. High side ~ 240 PSI, low side ~ 40 PSI.

I just did fix (one day work) my AC on Ford Tempo '89 with a help of new neighbor Jonny, who is a refregirator tech, after 8 years (!?...) without AC! (All of those years suffered due to greed and retrofit hype from manufacturers... Tryed to fix it twice, was quoted ~1200. and 4 years ago ~700. Refused...)
This time got compressor at junk yard for $65. and replaced it myself. Had to take radiator fan and oil filter out to do it. Also got AC lines disconnect tool set (plastic semi-rings) for ~$10. Charged AC with R134 freon WITHOUT ANY RETROFITS, and it's working excellent!!! Total cost = 75. + labor + Jonny's help. I'm indebted to him now, and I'll pay back somehow. Just need to fix panel duct door's hinge, so it'll blow air to panel vents. But that's another problem.
One of my friends just did fixed his AC at honest mechanic for very resonable price, after driving his truck without AC for 5 years (!).

!!! NOTE: Charging old (R12) system with R134 freon WITHOUT RETROFITS makes compressor to work a bit harder and probably shorten it's life!!!.

Good luck!
Fordunate is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Tempo Forum | Mercury Topaz Forum