Tempo retracting seat belt mechanism problems - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
» Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Tempo Forum | Mercury Topaz Forum
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Ford Tempo Forum | Mercury Topaz Forum Forum for discussion of the Ford Tempo and Mercury Topaz.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-24-2005, 08:11   #1 (permalink)

Tempo retracting seat belt mechanism problems

I have been having problems with the driverside retracting seat belt on my 90 Tempo. The problem involves the plastic belt or tape with the square holes that retracts or extends the sholder belt when the door is shut or opened. The belt engages with a plastic gear that alternately pushes or pulls on the tape, to retract or engage the seat belt. I replaced this belt about 2 years ago, and now I have had to purchase another one (at Ford for $53!)

The problem with the belt is that (especially upon opening the door, when the drive gear has to "push" on the plastic belt) the drive gear tends to not "engage" properly with the plastic belt, with the result that it can suddenly slip---thus rounding out the square holes in the belt at one location and ruining it. Then the motor will just spin and run without stopping, further damaging the belt.

When I replace this belt, do I need to apply something like graphite or other lube in the track? Do I need to replace any other parts as a matter of course (like the drive gear or guide slides) when replacing the belt? The gear and slides appear to be ok.

Finally, can someone tell me if this is a common problem with the Tempo seat belt mechanism? The way this system works on this car seems, to me anyway, not a very good design and that it would be prone to trouble. It looks like there have been quite a few posts in this discussion group about this problem.

Thanks for any advice!
zooeyhall is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-08-2005, 07:00   #2 (permalink)

Re: Tempo retracting seat belt mechanism problems

It's a problem with the tempos. My cousin had this problem and so did I
worldcoast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2005, 18:04   #3 (permalink)

Automatic seatbelts were a bad design.. just another reason they aren't used anymore (besides the push for airbags in cars). I found it was just easier to manually retract the shoulder belts all the way back and then disconnect the seatbelt motors. This way I don't have to listen to the grinding, don't have to try and help the shoulder belt along and don't have to see that d@mn flashing sealtbelt warning lamp while I'm driving. Manually slipping behind the shoulder belt has turned out to be no big deal at all.
T/T Junkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2005, 13:03   #4 (permalink)
***** Idiot....

This is a very common problem with tempos. A lot of people backdate their cars to manual belts opting out of the automatic belt mechanisms and motors. Tho you can run into issues with your insurance company if they find out.
LunaticSVT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2005, 17:47   #5 (permalink)

How do you disconnect the seatbelt motors?
Please help me, the noise is so loud and annoying.
Thanks
JB
jbuzz2004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2005, 09:26   #6 (permalink)

Unfortunately, I don't have any answers, but I do have another question. The other day, the motor on my automatic seatbelt just quit working. The seatbelt was right in the middle of the track. I figured it would be OK if I could just get it to go all the way back, and then I could slip under it when I get in and out of the car. However, I asked the dealer if this was possible, and he said that once the motor quits there's no way to manually move the seatbelt into another position. Does anyone have experience with this?

Thanks!
chinabird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2005, 10:00   #7 (permalink)
***** Idiot....

Quote:
Originally Posted by chinabird
Unfortunately, I don't have any answers, but I do have another question. The other day, the motor on my automatic seatbelt just quit working. The seatbelt was right in the middle of the track. I figured it would be OK if I could just get it to go all the way back, and then I could slip under it when I get in and out of the car. However, I asked the dealer if this was possible, and he said that once the motor quits there's no way to manually move the seatbelt into another position. Does anyone have experience with this?

Thanks!
A temporary fix is to use the manual knob on the motor. Pull on the tape behind it to guide the carrier into position at the B-pillar, and then unplug the motor. You can then slip behind the belt. Your SB reminder light will come on and then go off as usual.

The only time that the lock out switch would prevent you from moving the belt would be in the instance of a wreck.
LunaticSVT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2005, 08:52   #8 (permalink)

I have had the same problem with the tracks for the last 6 years. The only solution I have been able to find thus far is to remove the strip turn it over and reuse it to get another life cycly out of it before replacing it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zooeyhall
I have been having problems with the driverside retracting seat belt on my 90 Tempo. The problem involves the plastic belt or tape with the square holes that retracts or extends the sholder belt when the door is shut or opened. The belt engages with a plastic gear that alternately pushes or pulls on the tape, to retract or engage the seat belt. I replaced this belt about 2 years ago, and now I have had to purchase another one (at Ford for $53!)

The problem with the belt is that (especially upon opening the door, when the drive gear has to "push" on the plastic belt) the drive gear tends to not "engage" properly with the plastic belt, with the result that it can suddenly slip---thus rounding out the square holes in the belt at one location and ruining it. Then the motor will just spin and run without stopping, further damaging the belt.

When I replace this belt, do I need to apply something like graphite or other lube in the track? Do I need to replace any other parts as a matter of course (like the drive gear or guide slides) when replacing the belt? The gear and slides appear to be ok.

Finally, can someone tell me if this is a common problem with the Tempo seat belt mechanism? The way this system works on this car seems, to me anyway, not a very good design and that it would be prone to trouble. It looks like there have been quite a few posts in this discussion group about this problem.

Thanks for any advice!
shortywolf98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2005, 08:53   #9 (permalink)

I have had the same problem with the tracks for the last 6 years. The only solution I have been able to find thus far is to remove the strip turn it over and reuse it to get another life cycle out of it before replacing it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zooeyhall

Thanks for any advice!
Old 03-07-2005, 09:00   #10 (permalink)

You can manually move the belt by turning the knob on the motor itself. Just rotate the knob and assist the ribbon inside the track along the way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chinabird

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Tempo Forum | Mercury Topaz Forum