Ford Forums banner

Topaz : Turn the Ignition/Nothing

2K views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  Glen 
#1 ·
Hello everyone,
I hope someone has some advice on this little problem that I am having with my 91 Topaz. I was driving it one day and all of a sudden the car shut off. I had to pull the car to the side of the street and get it jumped just to start up again. Soon after running the car after the jump, the car ran real rough and I had to keep my foot on the gas as I stopped or the car would stall out. Soon as I parked the car it died out and the battery seemed to drain fast as the lights were dimming inside real fast. I thought maybe it was the starting solonoid so I replaced it. Didn't really do anything. Now when I turn the ignition key over there is no action, sound or attempt to start nothing even while I have the battery totally charged. I checked the fuses, non were blown.

Im in a bind here. Does anyone have the wiring diagram for the solonoid just for reference to make sure I installed it right? There are 6 total wires to be attached to the relay. 1 red wire from the battery, one black wired off that same red wire (ground?) and then the starter attachments along with the ignition (im assuming) to go to the little post.

Anyone have any suggestions on what it might be? Id appreciate any information anyone might have.

-Steve

See less See more
#2 ·
veach said:
Hello everyone,
I hope someone has some advice on this little problem that I am having with my 91 Topaz. I was driving it one day and all of a sudden the car shut off. I had to pull the car to the side of the street and get it jumped just to start up again. Soon after running the car after the jump, the car ran real rough and I had to keep my foot on the gas as I stopped or the car would stall out. Soon as I parked the car it died out and the battery seemed to drain fast as the lights were dimming inside real fast. I thought maybe it was the starting solonoid so I replaced it. Didn't really do anything. Now when I turn the ignition key over there is no action, sound or attempt to start nothing even while I have the battery totally charged. I checked the fuses, non were blown.

Im in a bind here. Does anyone have the wiring diagram for the solonoid just for reference to make sure I installed it right? There are 6 total wires to be attached to the relay. 1 red wire from the battery, one black wired off that same red wire (ground?) and then the starter attachments along with the ignition (im assuming) to go to the little post.

Anyone have any suggestions on what it might be? Id appreciate any information anyone might have.

-Steve

Your alternator is had it. Get it checked out by an auto electrician. The reason why your car is cutting out is the battery is draining while you are driving the car, once it gets below 12 volts you will find lights starting to dim and then the car will eventually stall.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.