Water Pump '94 - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Tempo Forum | Mercury Topaz Forum
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Ford Tempo Forum | Mercury Topaz Forum Forum for discussion of the Ford Tempo and Mercury Topaz.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-26-2006, 20:47   #1 (permalink)

Water Pump '94

How tough is it to replace the water pump on a '94 Tempo. It looks buried to me, but it is leaking all of the coolant out of the system. If it's not for the average do it yourselfer, how much should it cost at a shop? The Harmonic Balancer is bad too, so I could just have both fixed at the same time. Any thoughts??
kerk is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-27-2006, 01:22   #2 (permalink)

Re: Water Pump '94

Do you know what kind of engine it has?
Kiwi 3D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2006, 04:07   #3 (permalink)

2.3L 4 cylinder with air conditioning and automatic transmission. Does that help?
Old 03-27-2006, 04:17   #4 (permalink)
93 2.3 MTX BOLTED OUT!

get a large block of wood under the oil pan and set another under the tranny just to be shure. set jacks under em and get another person over quick.
loosen all motor mounts and be very careful not to over extend any wires n s*** lift that engine up a few inches or you can drop it down "personaly id lift it. remove the serphitine belt and attack the water pump. when your done you can drop the engine down two inches and attack the harmonic balancer as said in the below topic also u might wanan edit the fender wall with pliars or tin snips to get easier acces to the balancer. for a first timer it should take an hour or two after that u could do it in a lunch break.
Old 03-27-2006, 04:51   #5 (permalink)

I've never lifted or dropped an engine before. The oil pan and tranny pan are strong enough to take the pressure of a jack lifting the engine? How many motor mount bolts are there?
Old 03-27-2006, 10:25   #6 (permalink)

i had the pump go, i took it to my cousins shop and he got a new one and put it in for a pretty penny.. i think it was $225..
joel92ford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2006, 04:32   #7 (permalink)
93 2.3 MTX BOLTED OUT!

o ya ive supported the whole thing of the pan and just a jack "no wood" b4 not a good idea but it will hold but please use a lil block of wood
Old 03-28-2006, 04:35   #8 (permalink)

Ok, I guess I will give it a shot. Is it really a two person job? If so I'll have to wait until Sat. so my boy can help.
Old 03-28-2006, 18:17   #9 (permalink)
93 2.3 MTX BOLTED OUT!

ok 1 last thing theres 3 motor mounts only 1 is actualy on the motor its right next to the left most side of the head or pistion #1 second is in front of the tranny directly below your cold air box. third is in the exact same spot on the tranny just on the other side closer to the cab. the reason i say its 2 man job is 1 the serphitine belt is always easier to remove with another person there, 2 u want sum one there to make shure you dont overstretch any cables,lines etc etc however i really doubt you can.
i was talking to sum guys and took a look at my setup and it apears you can get to the water pump without even moving the engine but, but you gota disasemble the left most motor mount bracket on the block which requires more than just sockets n wrenches :( for the $ id say lift it an inch and a half and attack. also remove the power steering fluid hoses as they will be in your way. and last i strongly recomend dissasembling the downpipe attached to the waterpump from under the car b4 u take the pump off!!! dont worry comes right out after you take the bracket for it off. and go get sum thermatex before you even start the project, you find out why later.
well heres my projection for the project
total cost
$10 prestone antifreeze
$3 permatex
$25 waterpump
$3 powersteering topoff
= ALOT CHEAPER THAN SHOP CHARGES
"these are autozone quotes"
total time should be less than 2 hours to get it in for novice maybe 3 till drivable your looking at 4 bolts i think on the water pump 3 motor mount bolts 2 bolts for water pump downpipe removal and maybe 2 busted nkucles. so drain that radiator and get to it! o ya i would highly recomend disconecting the shifter conection for the trans before you tweak the engine around!!!!!
other than that you should be smooth sailing enjoy man

1 last question your shure its not the thermostat stuck closed or the radiator all pluged up?
Old 03-28-2006, 18:48   #10 (permalink)

Thanks for the great instructions. I haven't completely verified that it is the water pump that is bad, but the fluid is leaking out from that part of the engine. When I poured antifreeze into the radiator, it started draining out under the water pump. I haven't gotten under there yet to make sure it is the pump leaking or the hose, but I know my luck! I was going to look at it today, but it rained all day. I guess if I'm going to do the harmonic balancer, I'll go ahead and lift the engine some for the water pump. It's my boy's car so I will probably start work on it on Friday when his spring break starts so he can help. He needs to learn some of this stuff.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Tempo Forum | Mercury Topaz Forum