Weird issue while idling when its cold engine - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Tempo Forum | Mercury Topaz Forum
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Ford Tempo Forum | Mercury Topaz Forum Forum for discussion of the Ford Tempo and Mercury Topaz.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-06-2009, 18:10   #1 (permalink)

Weird issue while idling when its cold engine

Heres the deal, I allowed to wait for my 94 topaz 2.3L auto, Ive been noticing, when I start the car up when the motor is cold, I get a weird ping (knock) like low octane sound @ idle, Then the other thing is I drove my car in the morning I allowed it to do idle only 2 mins, Then while idling in the drive thru, Motor idle starting vrrrmmm vrmmm, bouncing up and down, then I rev it yup little bit then it stopped. ran fine and there is no performance issue while warmed up, Runs great. This what has been done: New cap / rotor / Plugs / Wires / Fuel filter / Air filter. Any ideas would greatly apperated.
e40water12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-06-2009, 20:38   #2 (permalink)
2002 F150 XLT

Re: Weird issue while idling when its cold engine

Could the sound be a lifter? They sometimes get a little worn and when the car is first started, they'll make a ticking sound. As far as the running problem cold, it could be the IAC. You can try cleaning it and also the MAF. There's a special cleaner for the MAF.
Bert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2009, 12:14   #3 (permalink)

Agree with the IAC and MAF analysis. For the noise, try to find out where the noise is coming from, such as the front or the top. If it's the front, you may be hearing the harmonic balancer starting to go south.
Old 09-10-2009, 14:32   #4 (permalink)

Would the harmonic balancer cause the motor to have a ping sound? low octane ping? thats the sound I am getting. How difficult is the harmonic balancer to change? I am pretty good with mechanic's, Just need a little insite, Ok I will try cleaning out those sensors see what will change.

Thanks for youre help guys.
Old 09-11-2009, 12:26   #5 (permalink)

I've had it done, but I've not done it myself.

There are some folks who have done it, so you might check:
Tempo - Topaz Owner Association or TempoTopaz.com :: Tempo Topaz Car Club of North America for some experience or guidance. If it is the HB, it will get worse over time, and will eventually sound out when the engine is warm, too.

My understanding is that changing the HB is a lot of work, so you might want to make sure you don't really have a timing issue first.
Old 09-11-2009, 16:51   #6 (permalink)

Awsome thanks for youre help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Tempo Forum | Mercury Topaz Forum