Akermanis the new recruit? - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
» Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Fordforums Community > Latest Ford News and Racing News > Ford Racing Across the Globe
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-27-2003, 17:42   #1 (permalink)
I am The Brain

Akermanis the new recruit?

I direct your attention to this article:

http://afl.com.au/default.asp?pg=new...ticleid=125219

/QUOTE/

Two years and out for 'Aker'
10:40:42 AM Tue 28 October, 2003
Andrew Browne
afl.com.au

Speculation on the future of outspoken Brisbane Lion Jason Akermanis is no doubt set to re-ignite after suggesting on the weekend the recently signed two-year deal with the club may be his last.

“I would think there is only another two years maximum in me – I can’t see myself playing any longer than that,” Akermanis told afl.com.au.

“Hopefully there is a change of career ahead - such as motorsport.”

In recent times, Akermanis has teased the media and supporters alike with references to leaving the Lions by either changing clubs – Sydney Swans – or codes – Rugby Union.

His attention and passion though has dramatically increased towards the motor racing game.

Akermanis, who also owns a motorbike, has made no secret of seeking a life in the speed lane with his affection for fast cars and in fact returned early from the Lions end of season trip to North America to be at the Lexmark Indy 300 event on the Gold Coast at the weekend.

The 2001 Brownlow Medallist came back in an attempt to drive for the same team as ‘Footy Show’ co-host Sam Newman in the ‘Nations Cup’ on Sunday, which did not eventuate.

Akermanis likened the adrenalin rush of being behind the wheel of a racing car to that of playing Australian Rules at the highest level.

“I like the thrill of racing just like the thrill of football,” he declared.

The 26 year-old also drove a sports car around Queensland’s Willowbank racing circuit during the football season under the watchful eye of Ford V8 driver Russell Ingall and Ingall was impressed with what he saw, although admitting a lot of educational work would have to be done.

“Absolutely” was the immediate response from Ingall, who won both of theV8 races on the weekend, when asked by afl.com.au if the Lions player had the potential to succeed.

“If he has the competitive spirit and being a top class footballer I think he has – then that is half the battle,” he added.

That is not to say Akermanis will be complacent fulfilling his football contract despite winning three consecutive premierships.

He has already done some pre-season training even though he has been away, and was asked to play in the International Rules series but because of his travel commitments declined Friday’s first game in Perth.

However, if there is a high injury toll, Akermanis is willing to put his hand up for the Melbourne game and join Lions teammates Chris Johnson, who was appointed vice-captain for the series and club champion equal runner-up Luke Power.

After kicking five goals in the historic ‘triple-treat’ premiership victory grand final over Collingwood, Akermanis says he is raring to go and the groin troubles from last year are well and truly behind him.

“I am really looking forward to the next two years because I think this where my best football is going to be played,” Akermanis said.

“I have delivered it so far in spurts and hopefully next year I will be back to running out four quarters and dominating games.”

There was also no indication that his media commitments are diminishing, in fact the opposite may occur.

He intends releasing a book on his eventful life so far. Any suggestions for a title?

/QUOTE/

Now for those who don't know who Akermanis is (those people who don't watch AFL) he is a smart alec, outspoken little "man" who likes making up rumours and speaking his mind on absolutely anything. I remember seeing on RPM I think the bit where he drove with Ingall and it seemed as though he could drive.

The question is, does Motorsport have the capability of putting up with him like the AFL do?
Advertisement

Old 10-27-2003, 17:59   #2 (permalink)

Re: Akermanis the new recruit?

Stick to footy. and as for Rugby....tell em his dreamin..
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Fordforums Community > Latest Ford News and Racing News > Ford Racing Across the Globe