Ford Forums banner

Ambrose tyre gave way 2 laps from finish

2K views 25 replies 21 participants last post by  mrpoppy 
#1 ·
Very dissapointing. Would Ambrose have won the round if he finished first in race 3? Damn it!!!:nonono:

#2 ·
dissapointing isn't the word for it. We try so hard, he was the most consistent, he didn't push his tyres till extinction, and this is how he is repaid. I am sick to death of this happening, if its not one thing its another. The only highlight this weekend was watching skaife and brights cars expire!!!!!!!!!! Congrats to murphy.

Hopefully we have more front downforce next year so we don't have to run so much negative camber at the bloody front!!!!!!

#5 ·
XR6turbo said:
dissapointing isn't the word for it. We try so hard, he was the most consistent, he didn't push his tyres till extinction, and this is how he is repaid. I am sick to death of this happening, if its not one thing its another. The only highlight this weekend was watching skaife and brights cars expire!!!!!!!!!! Congrats to murphy.

Hopefully we have more front downforce next year so we don't have to run so much negative camber at the bloody front!!!!!!
I'm over it all. I really don't give a sh|t now. If Ford wins that's great, but when they lose I won't lose any sleep over it.

#6 ·
Cobra said:
Very dissapointing. Would Ambrose have won the round if he finished first in race 3? Damn it!!!:nonono:

That depended on where Bright and Murphy finished but it was looking good for Ambrose.

#7 ·
XR6turbo said:

Dido...couldn't have said it any better... group hug guys

#9 ·
touchstone001 said:
Guys, do you reckon it may help Ford karma if we change the name of this forum? I mean, we're never going to get anywhere if we call the motorsport forum 'The Pits'

It can't be helping...
How about we permanently change the name to the whinge pit? it's all that ever seems to go on in here anyway :eek:o1: :bigeyes: :angel: :evilhehe:

#12 ·
Elvis said:
Is whinging because the majority of us don't find losing round after round to be anything worth cheering about.
Maybe if peoples posts were constructive, or in some way justified they would be acceptable, but all we get is 'Dunlop are shit" or the "officials cheat" or "ford are shit" hardly constructive, nor do the posts ever seem to contain any basis of justification or validation of the views raised in them. Hence why the threads are considered to be useless dribble by myself and many other members.

#13 ·
Sorry Guys, it's all my fault.. Just as Ambrose was entering the straight before the blowout, i had said aloud to my wife " If ambrose holds his position, he'll win the round..." and of course barely 2.5 seconds later..BANG!!

I broke the unwritten rule.. never speak aloud of winning until that Finish line is crossed....

#14 ·
Sorry Guys, it's all my fault.. Just as Ambrose was entering the straight before the blowout, i had said aloud to my wife " If ambrose holds his position, he'll win the round..." and of course barely 2.5 seconds later..BANG!!

I broke the unwritten rule.. never speak aloud of winning until that Finish line is crossed....

#15 ·
The problem is that there are not enough Fords competing for a win. If Ambrose has a problem someone needs to step upto the plate, like when HRT fails the K Mart cars step up.

Ambrose seems to be fighting a lone hand, Lowndes is a great driver but his car was lacking in a straight line (SBR give Lowndes some engines).

#17 ·
Ambrose does an awesome job out the front for ford, it's just that when he look's like winning something always happens wheather it's his faul, the cars fault or annother drivers fault it always happens to him (yes i know about kmart at qld +bathurst samething happened) but out of the ford he is the one who deserves the win's his car is a monster a "beast" if you will but he always get's the best out of it and i hope that we (ford) have always got talent like ambrose to call on. and when we do have a competetive car (Next year hopefully) i know that he will be on top of the series (hopefully with as much domination as skaife In the last few years). so congrats to ambrose for sticking it to the DARK SIDE.

#19 ·
Im actually encouraged lately

Look at how many of the last few rounds HRT have had a DNF?

QLD500, INDY and NZ... and Bathurst Skaife only just made it.
HRT were not known for reliability til a couple years back.. perhaps they are slipping again..think about it

I cant help feel tho that since mid year the ford teams have kinda given up a bit on the AU and are thinking BA.

#20 ·
XRSex said:
Bummer about Ambrose and the amount of people wearing HRT gear just about made me puke. Awesome watching the falcons kick arse in the VB Challenge, the bodyroll in the Commodores looked shocking.

Yeah noticed that on the telly as well mate. One guy Ch 10 interviewed was going on about Jason Richards and Team Kiwi but he was wearing a HRT jacket, strange its not as if Team Kiwi don't have any merchandise. :1poke:

The VB challenge at Bathurst was brilliant as well. The Ford was all over the Holden. On Sunday Steve Johnson's car control made Mark Skaiffe look very ordinary.

#21 ·
XRSex said:
the bodyroll in the Commodores looked shocking.
It may look shocking but it's there for a reason, the cars are set up reasonably soft to try and make the tyres last.

I though one of the telling things was when Ten showed both Big Nose and Murph going thru the flip flop bit - the HRT car just sucked up the bump over the kerb whereas the K-Mart car was a bit upset by the kerb.

Just shows that HRT's shock technology is streets ahead of even their stable mates.

#22 ·
Barra_4_Eva said:
are the Fords using a new engine for next year? if so, will that mean they will get more straight line speed, or is still the same old thing.
Ahh, the problem isn't straight line speed, the Fords have got bucket loads of that and this is an sensitive point the Holden teams have been making for years. They claim they are disadvanced in this area (with exception of HRT). Fords problem is chassis and suspension set up. They can not get enough down force and can’t get out of the corners quick enough compared to the Holden’s IMO.

Next year that will all change, but will the Ford win then, nobody knows. Lets hope so!

#23 ·
Brendan said:
It may look shocking but it's there for a reason, the cars are set up reasonably soft to try and make the tyres last.

I though one of the telling things was when Ten showed both Big Nose and Murph going thru the flip flop bit - the HRT car just sucked up the bump over the kerb whereas the K-Mart car was a bit upset by the kerb.

Just shows that HRT's shock technology is streets ahead of even their stable mates.
I think what was being referred to was the actual road cars that they race in the VB challenge.

Aren't the Holden teams going to be allowed to use an engine head modified to be more like the Ford one to remove any power advantage the Ford engine may have?

#24 ·
scoot said:
Aren't the Holden teams going to be allowed to use an engine head modified to be more like the Ford one to remove any power advantage the Ford engine may have?
Yes, this is what I have also heard. Holden will get more go, but have the same suspension as the Ford next year.

Fancy that, try explaining this to all those millions of Holden Racing fans that they have apparently got an engine power disadvantage over the Fords. Says alot for handling don't you think?

#25 ·
Yes it was bad luck for Ambrose but it could of been worse. At leat he managed to finish the race and get an overall third for the day. Skaife & Bright didn't even finish the race!

Maybe they should of had those spikes installed on the kerbs at Indy to stop the kerb hoppers!

#26 ·
What I find interesting was that when they were interviewing Craig Lowndes in the commentary box, he pretty much dispelled any theories (that were floating around Bathurst) that Fords have more tyres blowing, popping, etc. because they run more negative camber (to account for their lack of front downforce). He said the Fords and Holdens ran 'pretty much the same' negative camber on the front tyres.

Quote straight from The Australian:
'Ambrose blamed the oil leak from Bowe's car for his plight.'
"John Bowe thought it would be a good idea to do one-and-a-half laps spewing all his fluids out on the road," Ambrose said.
"That made it very difficult for me because I couldn't brake straight to look after the tyres and I wasn't sure where the oil was."

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.