Barry Sheene battles cancer - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
» Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Fordforums Community > Latest Ford News and Racing News > Ford Racing Across the Globe
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-22-2002, 19:36   #1 (permalink)

Barry Sheene battles cancer

From SMH

Britain's former world motorcycle champion Barry Sheene revealed today that he is suffering from throat and stomach cancer.

The 51-year-old, who won the world title twice and now lives in Australia, was diagnosed in July just days after competing in a legends race during the British Grand Prix at Donington.

Sheene visited a doctor after complaining of a sore throat and trouble with swallowing but claimed he was ready to fight for his health.

"This is a total pain in the arse but I'm going to fight it," said Sheene.

David Miller, a friend of the Sheene family, told the Press Association on Thursday night that the former racer was currently feeling unwell and had requested no contact from the media whatsoever.

However, Miller insisted that Sheene was feeling upbeat about his chances.

Sheene, who has divided his time in recent years between his business interests and race commentating, lives on Australia's Gold Coast with his wife Stephanie and two children.

Sheene was at the height of his fame in the 1970s when his battles with American rival Kenny Roberts and a playboy lifestyle kept the British racer on the back pages of the tabloid newspapers.

But his career was cut short by racing injuries and he made his home in Australia to ease the pain caused by arthritis brought about by broken bones suffered in crashes.

Get well soon Bazza.

____o00o_=^..^=_o00o____
Falchoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-22-2002, 19:41   #2 (permalink)
At the 3FB Cheese Wheel

Oh no, that's not good to hear. The poor bugger has enough trouble with chronic fatigue and arthritis and now this.

I for one hope that he pulls through this ok, I think the guy is great.

Old 08-22-2002, 23:34   #3 (permalink)
Hawthorn Supporter

I was shocked (still am) when i heard this.
I hope he recovers as soon as possible and returns to the commentary box and makes the V8's exciting again.

Here's his email address if anyone would like to send their support

barry@networkten.com.au
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Fordforums Community > Latest Ford News and Racing News > Ford Racing Across the Globe