Bathurst Grid - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
» Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Fordforums Community > Latest Ford News and Racing News > Ford Racing Across the Globe
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
View Poll Results: 42 Starters in Bathurst. Is it too many ?
Yes 6 15.38%
No 33 84.62%
Voters: 39. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-29-2002, 17:24   #1 (permalink)
How bloody Hot is it ??!!

Bathurst Grid

Maybe this is just me waffling on about the good old days but after hearing about the Bathurst having a confirmed grid of 42 cars, does that sound just a little too crowded.

We have all suffered through the agony of seeing top drivers taken out by the 2nd tier cars. i mean no disrespect to those drivers of course ( they can outdrive me after all...) but just the thought of cramming 42 cars across the top of the mountain is just asking for trouble..

Fal con (fŕl’k on, fől-, fő’kon) n.
characterized by their long wings and their method of hunting, which is to rise above and swoop down on their prey.
Chaps is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-29-2002, 20:00   #2 (permalink)
Crikey

I remember going to Bathurst and there were 60 cars on the grid with minutes between their lap times (eg XW's v's Mazda 1300's). Its not the numbers of cars to worry about but the driving standards of not letting an obviously faster car thru that is the problem.
Blurter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2002, 20:14   #3 (permalink)
Territory TS - AWD

I agree Blurter, 42 cars isn't too many as these days it's easy to field a full grid of competitive cars. While the driving standards and general awareness of some competitors will always leave a bit to be desired it's not like the old days. I remember when the faster cars had a 100km/h or more closing speed on the slowest cars and the crash-collection truck also circulated at walking pace while the race continued at full pace, showing up at different parts of the track each laps.
Old 07-29-2002, 21:27   #4 (permalink)
Crikey

And that was the real Bathurst.... not the concocted pace car dominated crap that we get feed now.

There is no incentive now to grind your opposition onto the dirt (remember Brockie's 6 lap winning margin). Left you feeling like shit being a Ford fan but you had to admire the guy and the car.

As soon as you get a break now, the pace car comes out and the field catches back up to you. It is now a matter of running to a pace that has you up near the front with twenty to run then you go for it, or run just hard enough for any opposition not to catch you.

Bathurst while an event not to be missed is now for the atmosphere, not for its endurance racing.
Old 07-29-2002, 23:34   #5 (permalink)
Agent Provocateur

Bathurst pace car

Whilst I understand the need for a pace car as even I have to admit that people putting their lives in undue danger for my visual pleasure is probably not right, I must agree with the opinion that it discourages early pace.

Why risk your machinery by pushing hard early if 25 laps down the track the car you had pulled half a lap on is now 50 metres behind you. Whilst the ideal situation would be to "hold station" or maintain constant pace and spacing whilst a dangerous situation was rectified may be too hard (race control access to Pit Limiter software??) Why not , on a circuit the size of Bathurst introduce more than one safety car, say three that maintain the same speed and pick up different groupings, they may be located around the track and all go out at the same time.

This would not unduly punish those that had a go and also add a more complex strategy basis to the race. I guess the fact that CAMS often have trouble sending one pace car out at the right time so three would be near impossible.
05forever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2002, 01:23   #6 (permalink)
Crikey

Like your line of thinking 05 - probably too subtle for the authorities though
Old 07-30-2002, 03:43   #7 (permalink)
EA Falcon owner

whoops voted yes but it was meant to be no.

i think that it will be better with 42 cars. and there's better racing imo with more cars.

DAG-Nabit.com
FordLover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2002, 22:45   #8 (permalink)
Barra

Correct me if im wrong, but isnt the 24-hour race going to have about 80 cars?
Old 08-01-2002, 00:31   #9 (permalink)
Shhh, we're hunting Lions

Quote:
Originally posted by Barra
Correct me if im wrong, but isnt the 24-hour race going to have about 80 cars?
And they are all of varying speeds, unlike the V8's which are within a few seconds of each other.
I have no problem with 42 cars.
Adam W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2002, 07:34   #10 (permalink)
Blah

Quote:
Originally posted by Adam W

And they are all of varying speeds, unlike the V8's which are within a few seconds of each other.
I have no problem with 42 cars.
Good point. Agreed.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Fordforums Community > Latest Ford News and Racing News > Ford Racing Across the Globe