Bowe: "Holden has 20% more downforce" - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
» Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Fordforums Community > Latest Ford News and Racing News > Ford Racing Across the Globe
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-17-2004, 17:15   #1 (permalink)
Hawthorn Supporter

Bowe: "Holden has 20% more downforce"

www.heraldsun.com.au

Ford's V8 elder statesman John Bowe has accused Holden's drivers of arrogance, saying they already have an unfair advantage over their Ford rivals at the V8 championship opener, the Clipsal 500.

Holden driver Jason Bright had said after Commodores took out the top four places in the Australian Grand Prix the Ford teams needed to lift their games. Bright said if Marcos Ambrose didn't win then, there would be no one from a Ford team to back him up.

Bowe hit back this week saying the Ford teams were doing the best job they could with what they had to work with, and the criticism by Holden drivers was a slur on their efforts.

"We know the standout Ford team is Stone Brothers Racing and the standout driver is Marcos Ambrose, and he won last year's championship against the odds," Bowe said.

"While the Holden teams reckon there's only one Ford team out there, I know how much effort, research and money we're all putting into it. There's no bunny teams and no bunny drivers in this category.

"For Holden teams to say no other Ford team is doing a good job smacks of arrogance.

"I think it's a bit much when they've got a good car, to be putting other teams down."

According to Bowe, the Holden's aero package gives as much as 20 per cent more rear downforce, a considerable advantage when qualifying times are split by tenths of seconds.

Under V8 Supercars' Project Blueprint, the Ford Falcon BA and Holden Commodore VY are supposed to have the same amount of aerodynamic and mechanical grip.

Bowe said the result of the V8 Supercar races at the Australian Grand Prix -- the V8 equivalent of football's Wizard Cup -- showed the balance would need to be restored if the championship was to end up anything other than a Holden whitewash.

"If a car's got 15-20 per cent extra downforce it makes a huge difference to tyre life and car balance," Bowe said.

"Our car does not have enough rear downforce compared to the Holden. Their (rear) wing is wider. I don't know how or when it can be fixed but it needs to be fixed.

"All the top Holden teams have VY Commodores now and you can tell from the Grand Prix it works.

"I've got nothing against Holden or any of the drivers. Some of my friends drive Holdens. But if we're going to have equality, let's have equality.

"I challenge them to bring the cars to Monash Windtunnel and it would show it. If I'm wrong I'll publicly apologise."

But Holden Racing Team driver Mark Skaife said testing between the Falcon and Commodore showed the two cars were competitive.

"It sounds like a Ford driver whose car isn't good enough to me," Skaife said. "Saying he has hasn't enough grip is top of the driver excuse book.

"There's no reason (for a change) because Marcos Ambrose has the same aero kit as Bowe, and you couldn't say he's got a disadvantage -- he won last year's championship."
Advertisement

Old 03-17-2004, 17:50   #2 (permalink)

Re: Bowe: "Holden has 20% more downforce"

Its obvious the BA is a huge step up from the AU. But there is still a question about parity between the BA and VY.
Skaife saying ther is no need for a change because Marcos Ambrose won the championship last year is a stupid argument. Ingall had the same car as Ambrose and where did he come? According to Skaife's rational...... Ingall should have been second in the chapionship then.
Ambrose is an outstanding driver. Look what he was still able to do with the AU which was a proven underperformer. You cant say the BA and VY are equal if Ambrose is the only Ford driver going quick whilst the rest of the top 10 is filled with Holdens.
manwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2004, 17:54   #3 (permalink)
Hawthorn Supporter

You can see during the races that most of the BA's tail slide coming out of the corners but the Commodores are very stable and good on their tyres.
Old 03-17-2004, 18:16   #4 (permalink)
Mmmm, forbidden donut

Interesting thing about this is that the BA originally had too much rear downforce (remember the massive wing of the prototype car) and it was cut to bring it in line with the Commodores. Perhaps it was cut too much if what Bowe is saying is correct. Guess it would be interesting to put both cars in the windtunnel to test..
Old 03-17-2004, 19:18   #5 (permalink)
2nd car....XR6turbo

maybe thats what they should do, i mean put them in the wind tunnel as bowe suggests. Bowe wouldn't make these suggestions unless he was serious, and he even said that he would publicly apologise if he was proven wrong. I think they should go through with it, but knowing holden, they would be too affraid to be proven wrong.
Old 03-17-2004, 19:32   #6 (permalink)

Yes, put them in a wind tunnel, I'd love to see Bowe apologise. Sure, the two cars wouldn't have exactly the same downforce, but 20% is a big claim. And he has no technical evidence to back it up.

Falcons won at Phillip Island and Eastern Creek last year, but of which have high speed corners where aero efficiency is important. I certainly didn't see Ambrose sliding around at E Creek last year.....
98Club is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2004, 19:36   #7 (permalink)

I dont think Bowe has made it up or anything, but how would be know? has he driven a Commodore VY racer?
Ambrose_1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2004, 19:45   #8 (permalink)
Now With 9 inch LSD Diff

If they don't put them in a windtunnel than holden does have something to hide, because if they really believed they didn't have an advantage wouldn't they love to get Bowe to publically apologize!
all4ford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2004, 20:02   #9 (permalink)
When 2 T3s are not enough

I said in another thread ford will be very lucky to win another year. If Ambrose falls over its daylight to the next ford, the odds just dont add up, If there were the same fords in the top 10 then there would be somone to pick up the ball if Ambrose drops it, but there isn't its a mixed bag. I do agree there still a parity issue still going on but how to get all or at leased some the same fords in the top 10 I dont know, but it would be a start. If bright falls over there is a hord of holdens following to take it up the ball we dont have that luxery........
Street machine Feb 2002
TE50T3 Remember the GTHO? well your getting close.
Motor mag Jan 2002

Wouldn't you love to say that about your car?You loosers
Noboss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2004, 20:18   #10 (permalink)
Veteran Ford Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FPRXR-6

"I challenge them to bring the cars to Monash Windtunnel and it would show it. If I'm wrong I'll publicly apologise."
Said like a real professional JB.

If Skaife believes in what he says why dosn't he take up the challenge? - I'm not saying JB is right or wrong, what I'm saying is there is a simple and undeniable answer to this theory, goto the local wind tunnle and compare the two!

JB said it with grace and dignity, he'll publicly apologise if he is wrong.

Ball is in your court Holden/HRT/Avesco ...
puts99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Fordforums Community > Latest Ford News and Racing News > Ford Racing Across the Globe