canberra long weekend races - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
» Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Fordforums Community > Latest Ford News and Racing News > Ford Racing Across the Globe
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-21-2002, 06:11   #1 (permalink)
Boat Hunting ;)

canberra long weekend races

Hey guys,

On the queens birthday long weekend im heading over to canberra. I just relised that there is some races scheduled, the Canberra 400 and formula ford. Are these the same race?

Even though im there from thursday until wednesday i will probably only be able to go on the friday. :mad:

If they are actually seperate races, would anyone beable to tell me which one i would be better off at, and some info on them if any one knows any. I thought the ford one would be good because there would not be any "undesired" supporters there, but i dont really no much about it. Supercars isnt my specialty!

Any help from the canberra people, or anyone who knows any thing about it would be great!

cheers

steve
AU2 S-pack Owner: Silhouette Black, XR6 Wheels, Tickford Sunroof, C2R rear bar, Checker Plate Floor Mats, Chrome Door Sills, Blue Backlite Dash, Blue Painted Brake Callipers, Advanced Extractors, Magnaflow High Flow Cat, 2.5" Stainless Steel Mandrel Bent Custom Exhaust, Genie Muffler. Sony Explode 50w x 4 deck, Kenwood 140w speakers (front and rear), Boss 1200 watt Amplifier, 12" Orion Sub in custom box. More To Come!!
younggun is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-21-2002, 06:29   #2 (permalink)

OKay

Formula Ford - If you can imagine shrinking a Formula 1 car, take all the aerodynamics off, take the widies off and replace them with about 6" tyres and put a Kent 1600 Ford motor in it then you would be pretty close.

Good close racing and many Supercar and Formula 1 drivers started in them. I think they are running as a support class for the V8 Supercars weekend.

If you are heading that way you might find accomodation will be a little scarce. If you haven't got any yet also try in Queanbeyan (5 minutes across the border in NSW)

Oh and take your woolies It gets cold there this time of year. i spent 5 years based in Canberra and it's a great place to visit.

Cheers

Paul B
XR6WGN
Old 05-21-2002, 22:03   #3 (permalink)

The Formula Fords are very hard to see at Canberra unless you have grandstand seating (ex$pen$ive) because they are so low to the ground and there are concrete barriers all around.

The V8s are what you want to see, go to http://www.v8supercar.com.au/calenda...nt.asp?eid=101 for details on times.

As Paul says, bring your jumper because it gets pretty cold!

Also check out http://www.canberra400.com.au

____o00o_=^..^=_o00o____
Falchoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2002, 23:35   #4 (permalink)

Friday is usually V8 practices with a FF race or two. This year it looks like we have MGs and Historics which will race Friday and Saturday. Checked the GMC400 site last night and didn't have the details up then.

You can get into the pits all weekend but Friday is the best day as the V8s aren't out racing all day so you can get a good look. The others have an open pit area.

There are some spots up the top end (around old Parliament House) or down around the back straight you can see without grandstand seats. Bring a milkcrate or strong folding chair to stand on if the crowds up. Again if crowds OK Friday, you can walk around the track and see a fair bit through the mesh.

Current temps are between 0 and 13 with a wind chill. Beanies and heavy jacket a have to have.
AJ's XR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2002, 23:36   #5 (permalink)
Boat Hunting ;)

ok thanks guys!

I will have to go check out the super cars! I have been to canberra a few times and i know how cold she gets!

and accomadation is sorted :s6:
AU2 S-pack Owner: Silhouette Black, XR6 Wheels, Tickford Sunroof, C2R rear bar, Checker Plate Floor Mats, Chrome Door Sills, Blue Backlite Dash, Blue Painted Brake Callipers, Advanced Extractors, Magnaflow High Flow Cat, 2.5" Stainless Steel Mandrel Bent Custom Exhaust, Genie Muffler. Sony Explode 50w x 4 deck, Kenwood 140w speakers (front and rear), Boss 1200 watt Amplifier, 12" Orion Sub in custom box. More To Come!!
younggun is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Fordforums Community > Latest Ford News and Racing News > Ford Racing Across the Globe