Ford Forums banner

V8 Telecasts on Ch 10 have gone from great to:

• Better. They do a great job!

Votes: 6 20.0%
  • Worse. Too much talking and focus on leaders.

Votes: 19 63.3%
  • Abysmal. Bring back Raymond and Economaki

Votes: 5 16.7%

Ch 10 V8 telecast is getting as bad as Ch 7 !!

3K views 29 replies 19 participants last post by  JG33PY 
G
#1 ·
Currently watching V8's in Pukekohe and I must reiterate that the job done by Ch 10 (commentary and vision) is becoming just like the bad old days of Channel 7.

Mathew White is a joke, Oastler should declare if mentioning TWRA a certain number of times per telecast, is written into his contract (cash for comment) and someone should run over Greg Rust in the pit lane.

Darryl Beattie does a good job, as does Bill Woods. Why did Channel 10 have to destroy a good programme by having a bunch of crankers on it.

Bring back Diffey and Baz (get well mate) and contract an expert that is an ex racer that knows what he's talking about, not some " school gossip turned journalist" like the current crankers!

Maybe Crompton will come back when "&$@A*%d replaces him!

#3 ·
If we had decent racing the telecast might become a little bit more interesting.

Some of the commentry today was ordinary, however on the whole I think Ch 10 do a reasonable job.

#4 ·
I'd have to say that capturing no vision of the incident involving the two Shell cars is not good television.

I'm not too fussed about the commentary although I'd certainly welcome Cromley back for his expertise.

All in all they do need to lift their game a little rather than continue to rest on their past successes.

Cheers
Russ

#5 ·
russellw said:
I'd have to say that capturing no vision of the incident involving the two Shell cars is not good television.

Yes, exactly! I was wondering the same thing. Keep in mind tho, that the Pukekoe event was a collaboration of 10 and TV1 NZ. This telecast was certainly amateurish. My bet is the TV1 guys were on camera duties.

Maybe they were too busy focusing on the sheep in the paddock next door? oops..... :)

On the upshot, the Bathurst telecast was good. All in all I think 10 have lifted the V8SC out of the "mullet head" days of seven, but agreed, they can't get slack on us now.

I miss Baz.

G
#7 ·
As an addition ot my original post, I forgot to mention that I always watch the NASCAR on Fox. Regardless of what anyone thinks of NASCAR (It is much harder than it looks) the telecasters and the commentators have it down to a fine art.

The cameras scan through the crowd and if someone holds up a poster that says " Hear the Noise" or something similar, the commentators shut up and the telecast goes to the external microphones.

The noise, coming back through the stereo is AWESOME!!!! The sound of the Ford's, Mopars and GM cars is sensational.

The IN CAR camera footage is also world class....especially at 220mph plus when the car behind is slipstreaming, bumps the car in front on the rear bumper, just enough to give that guy a bit more push to overtake on the next bend.

Speaking of bends, they may look like ovals but at 320kph to 340kph the bends are 90 degree corners.

Channel 10 could really learn a lot from NASCAR telecasts. Apart from Bill Woods and Darryl, the rest of them look and sound like 'gossip merchants' that used to work for women's magazines!

#8 ·
You forgot to mention the number of ads in their broadcast. I can't stand 7 for that very reason, but if I see one more Supercheap auto ad I'm going to go mad!

As for commentating, it's pretty sad when you hope for a driver to be taken out so they can spend some time in the comentary booth to shut Oastler up for 5 minutes.

#9 ·
plonky said:
The IN CAR camera footage is also world class....especially at 220mph plus when the car behind is slipstreaming, bumps the car in front on the rear bumper, just enough to give that guy a bit more push to overtake on the next bend.
You can thank "bad old" Channel Seven for the development of race cameras.

Seven gave more to motorsport fans than channel ten could ever possibly give us IMO.

G
#11 ·
I'm well aware of Ch 7's involvement in Racecam. The upgraded mini cam technology has been exploited in the best possible way by the NASCAR telecasters.

I don't think there is anything that Channel 10 could give viewers that CH7 didn't pioneer. What I am asserting is that NASCAR telecasts are head and shoulders above anything we see here in Australia and the arrogance of the network has caused it to lose their eye on why V8 Supercars put them back into the black.

Apart from a taxpayer funded broadcaster (and they seem to forget it) the other media organisations are controlled by three men. That is not much competition. In the US however, true market forces dictate that the provider of a quality product, properly marketed, will reign supreme in the market place.

That is why the NASCAR telecast is so good and the CH10 telecast is falling by the wayside. The arrogance of a broadcaster that decides that once the market is hooked they won't lse them, no matter how shoddy the product is.

GM Holden are in the same boat (market arrogance) and they will find out what will happen to them as well.

#12 ·
oastler should be shot all he ever does is rant and rave on about how good hrt/twr racing is and i think he has wet dreams over skaife. on the bathurst coverage it sucked hardcore i was tottaly confused when they brought up the running order during the race it was compleatly out of tune with the commentators in one hand jones is 2nd but in hte other hand he is comming 5th wtf is the go with that?

#13 ·
I guess it wouldn't be hard not to stuff up the camera work for NASCAR. All they do is go around in circles, so you only need to put one camera in the middle of the track and spin it around.

#15 ·
Jamie XR6 said:
I guess it wouldn't be hard not to stuff up the camera work for NASCAR. All they do is go around in circles, so you only need to put one camera in the middle of the track and spin it around.
Very funny - NOT.

Some of these tracks are 2 mile tri-ovals ( basically a D-shaped track for the uninitiiated) or SuperSpeedways and the series also runs on normal road courses (occasionally).

Not only is the quality of the camera work excellent but the commentary team from either of the shared broadcasters is of a very high standard.

This applies right through the Busch and Craftsman Truck series as well and could certainly provide some lessons for our friends at 10.

Russ

#16 ·
plonky said:
As an addition ot my original post, I forgot to mention that I always watch the NASCAR on Fox. Regardless of what anyone thinks of NASCAR (It is much harder than it looks) the telecasters and the commentators have it down to a fine art.

The cameras scan through the crowd and if someone holds up a poster that says " Hear the Noise" or something similar, the commentators shut up and the telecast goes to the external microphones.

The noise, coming back through the stereo is AWESOME!!!! The sound of the Ford's, Mopars and GM cars is sensational.

Speaking of bends, they may look like ovals but at 320kph to 340kph the bends are 90 degree corners.

Channel 10 could really learn a lot from NASCAR telecasts. Apart from Bill Woods and Darryl, the rest of them look and sound like 'gossip merchants' that used to work for women's magazines!
Couldn't agree more!!!
Especially with the 'hear the noise' comment!!!
How many times have the commentator type people
said that they'd give us a listen to the cars for a lap,
only to open their mouths with more comments???
I realise it's their job to drive us nuts with (sometimes)
useless information, but that's one bit that really gives me
the sh*ts!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

And to top it off, my video carked it 5 cars into the shootout, and
I get really crap TV reception without it!!!!
Went to a mates to see the last half of the race, he's 20 km
away. Dunno what I'll do tomorrow!!!
You'd reckon VCR's would last more than 12 years hey..........

Ed :)

#17 ·
XR8ED said:
Couldn't agree more!!!
Especially with the 'hear the noise' comment!!!
How many times have the commentator type people
said that they'd give us a listen to the cars for a lap,
only to open their mouths with more comments???
I realise it's their job to drive us nuts with (sometimes)
useless information, but that's one bit that really gives me
the sh*ts!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Ed :)
The sound of the V8 supercars these days is a joke anyway. They do not sound like a v8 and they do not revv like a v8.

#19 ·
The funniest comment I've heard from them was at Bathurst this year. They asked this teenager about all the autographs on his t-shirt and they asked them who they were. The kid replied and said they were all the racing chicks. The commentator replied 'did'nt you want all the race car drivers autographs'. He replied- No. Pure classic material here the commentator got burnt big time-lol. Dazza may be good for car rental commercials but GP was shocking with him.

#20 ·
russellw said:

I'm not too fussed about the commentary although I'd certainly welcome Cromley back for his expertise.

i've zero respect for this guy after some unfavourable comments he made to some back markers at bathurst a few years back.

all in all i reckon ch10 do a reasonable job. i don't know about oastler being biassed after all his editorials in amc are damn good. he's probably giving twr the recognition they deserve being the team that is killing all in this form of racing.

G
#21 ·
Guns&Roses said:
The funniest comment I've heard from them was at Bathurst this year. They asked this teenager about all the autographs on his t-shirt and they asked them who they were. The kid replied and said they were all the racing chicks. The commentator replied 'did'nt you want all the race car drivers autographs'. He replied- No. Pure classic material here the commentator got burnt big time-lol. Dazza may be good for car rental commercials but GP was shocking with him.
The commentator knew very well that this kid had the models signitures on his teeshirt. It was supposed to be a joke. That why is was done by Mark Aiston who was there for some "lighter" sides of Bathurst.

I think Ch. 10 do a pretty good job. They have brought it out of the deeps of midnight telecasts. Do you want that??

Ch. 10 have brought in that new Simulcam technology that was shown at Bathurst and Indy. So I would say they are doing a poor job.

But what I want everyone to remember is that at NZ, they had TVNZ has the Host Broadcaster. Ch. 10 did not have control of what was shown.

But it was good to see Ch. 10 show the Radisich/Johnson incident at the start of the telecast today.

BJ

#22 ·
gm dstroya said:
oastler should be shot all he ever does is rant and rave on about how good hrt/twr racing is and i think he has wet dreams over skaife. on the bathurst coverage it sucked hardcore i was tottaly confused when they brought up the running order during the race it was compleatly out of tune with the commentators in one hand jones is 2nd but in hte other hand he is comming 5th wtf is the go with that?
I actually heard the Oastler is having Skaifes baby......he's over the moon about it....

Yes I have to admit the camera work...or lack of it...was not upto standard. And Oastler is a fair dinkum f wit.....he always seems so surprised when a Ford leads a race. The rest of the comentators are okay.....but I'd like to see Baz and Diffy back.

PS Oastler off...let him comentate Formual V or something

#23 ·
Sometimes 10 misses the action, (too often) but you know they dont know in advance whos gunna have an incident.

Yeh theres too many ads, but thats the price, gotta pay the bills. there in it to turna buck like the rest of us. It aint a non-profit org. ( i have taken to videoing the 'cast and f-fwd thru the ads)

They do spend too much time focussing on 2 oe 3 of the name teams when there is action mid field, thats hard to forgive.

I dont listen much to the commentators, except interviews or if its a driver commentating. They just bground noise

I HATE these pre-packaged "behind-the -scenes" colour pieces, generally with music and flashy editing, on tyres or tour of transporters or interviews of drivers wives or whatever.
Sick of them to death they dont really tell us anything we dont know and are always the same fluff....
SHOW US SUPPORT RACES!!!

BUT
I remember the last ch7 Bathurst (pre 2 litre) before it went to 10.That was THE WORST coverage ever. I remember they broke from showing us the race every 2nd lap to have an interview with some ch7 soapy star or other sports player.
All giving us "expert" comments like
"i have never been to a car-race before..its great..and i know "Brocky" will win!" and of course we saw their pretty faces in the race studio rather then the cars. My mate and I actually went outside and turned on the bloody radio just to find out who was winning!
I cheered when i heard 10 had stolen the rights!
Lately ch 10 are getting worse for that. adn theres too much in car shots. Ok you get the "feel" but you often miss the action.
I hated the PS2 style simulcam thingy. i just want to see the cars race

#24 ·
What annoys me is the way the lesser teams are treated. No wonder the VIP petfood car is pulling out. I mean to not even see it at Bathurst and it was 8th is a bit ordinary. I am sure some of the team owners stay out there longer to get there car some coverage instead of pitting, yet we are subjected to watching who ch 10 thinks will be leading after all the pitstops. Mobil, Castrol, Pirtek, Kmart must be over-enjoyed. What about VIP petfoods, Orcon, Dynomax,Dupont, Why would they bother??? Why not just make it a 10 car race as that is what will happen if the sponsors aren't given any exsposure.

motomk

#26 ·
RPO83 said:
Agreed moto, and if they keep at their game there will only be 10 cars left. Would be good to see the movers in the pack rather than the leaders for a change.
KNIFE MODE ON

Exactly rather than telling us about it at the end. I mean HRT got Skaife on in the last race, and he still got coverage??? The drive of the last race was Larry Perkins!! At least they somehow managed to show some of that. I would also like to challenge the directors and producers to watch their own program a few days later and rate it! I am sure you would have rated Bathurst coverage as fairly ordinary. Ok you have a certain timeslot to fill and have to pad it out a bit! Mind you that is nothing compared to what 7 do to the Rugby. Obviously the push for dollars at Bathurst clouded their thinking and they sold way to much advertising!!!! Am i talking rubbish here!????? Maybe I should be in Auto-Action!!!

KNIFE MODE OFF

Hello Channel 10. Love your motorbike coverage by the way!!!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.