Ferrari targets Montoya - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
» Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Fordforums Community > Latest Ford News and Racing News > Ford Racing Across the Globe
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-14-2002, 06:56   #1 (permalink)
Hawthorn Supporter

Ferrari targets Montoya

Ferrari officials are bidding to lure Williams star Juan-Pablo Montoya to join the marque in 2003, a report published by the BBC suggests today

Ferrari, which won another World Championship in 2001, is beginning to assess its long term driver options, looking to the time when its lead man Michael Schumacher has retired.

The BBC report quoted a source close to the Williams team as saying that Ferrari wants Montoya to take Schumacher’s place when he retires, Maranello officials having been thoroughly impressed with his performance for Williams in 2001.
Yet with Schumacher not even considering retirement until 2004 - when his current contract expires – securing Montoya could prove difficult. It is speculated that he would come onto Ferrari’s payroll in 2003 to replace Brazilian Rubens Barrichello as part of the beginning of a long term deal, but Montoya has in the past written off the idea of acting as team-mate to Schumacher because the German has number one status in the driver hierarchal structure.

But the source also said in the report that Williams is equally determined to hold onto its talented charge, reputedly set to match any offers from Ferrari to keep him. Montoya is under contract for this year, but is free to talk with other teams for 2003. Next year is also when Williams can retain Jenson Button after loaning the 22-year-old to Renault for two years.

Frank Williams, team chief, gave nothing away when quizzed however.

‘We do not discuss contractual matters in public,’ declared the 59-year-old.

Montoya debuted in Formula One this year but starred on many occasions, scoring one victory, three poles, and 31 Championship points.
Advertisement

Old 01-14-2002, 20:30   #2 (permalink)
Shhh, we're hunting Lions

I don't think Williams will give up Montoya without a strong fight.

I wouldn't be surprised if Ralf was given the boot from Williams, maybe Ferrari could have both Schumachers driving for them.
Adam W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2002, 21:28   #3 (permalink)
Hawthorn Supporter

If Williams wants to keep Montoya they will have to pay him more than $1.5 million which is what they are paying him now.
Old 01-15-2002, 19:01   #4 (permalink)
Shhh, we're hunting Lions

Montoya is only on 1.5 million :crazy1: compare that to what Ralf gets (over 10 million). I think he is up for a payrise.
Adam W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2002, 15:11   #5 (permalink)
Australian Probe Member

I don't think that FW will fight too hard to keep Montoya or Ralf; I have history on my side! FW has always welcomed good drivers but vaery rarely believes that they make an enormous contribution to his team. FW will back his technology & engineering; remember Damon Hill won a World Championship in a Williams; so the car had to be good!!
DRU842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Fordforums Community > Latest Ford News and Racing News > Ford Racing Across the Globe