Future of V8 Supercars - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
» Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Fordforums Community > Latest Ford News and Racing News > Ford Racing Across the Globe
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-15-2002, 00:36   #1 (permalink)
****in Flat Out Racing

Question Future of V8 Supercars

Is it just me? Am I in the minority who think the current formula of V8 Supercars has past its used by date?

Don't get me wrong, I can't get enough of them, but as far as racing, rules and regulations go, I think it's time for a formula rethink. They are starting to get a bit boring. It's my belief that these cars are too expensive and over-engineered.

What we now have is a situation where cars circulate around the track, almost identical performace, in single form, just waiting for either:

1. Someone to make a mistake
2. Someone's car to self destruct
3. Someone's tryes to let go etc etc etc.

Hardly exciting to watch in reality. There is very little passing and racecraft.

I'd like to see an greater adoption of the GTP formula. GTP is great at the moment, but does not enjoy the popularity as the V8's, mainly I believe, due to the lack of big name drivers and almost non-existant factory support.

Now that Ford has the 5.4, we are in a better position to be competitive with the Chev 5.7.

Hopefully, with these cars racing, and the factories getting involved, will translate into better cars for you and me to buy due to the competition on the racetrack.

What do you think?
FFOracing is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-15-2002, 00:41   #2 (permalink)
2nd car....XR6turbo

"Now that Ford has the 5.4, we are in a better position to be competitive with the Chev 5.7."

Do we really need to explain this again???? BOTH HOLDEN AND FORD V8SUPERCARS RUN 5.0 LITRE V8's!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Or are u just saying that u would like to see them racing???? If so i take back the last statement.
Old 10-15-2002, 01:08   #3 (permalink)
Rail Rider

I think he mean that 5.4 is up to the challege of the 5.7 in procar GTP.
Old 10-15-2002, 01:27   #4 (permalink)
JR
Editor on P Plates

Didn't they handicap the XR anyway as it was already beating everything in it's class (maybe I'm thinking XR6 though)
Editor: Street Fords Magazine - Issue #1 on sale MARCH 2005
E-mail: jr@streetfords.com

Co Founder: 3FB Inc.
To see my old BA Falcon XR6, click HERE
JR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2002, 01:34   #5 (permalink)
plonky

That is exactly the problem with racing modified production cars. The V8 Supercar formula has always been headed in the right direction-just give 'Blueprint' a go.

The only other way to have a true test of driver is a one make formula or a category such as Formula Ford. Everything else is just a compromise.
Old 10-15-2002, 01:53   #6 (permalink)
Resident geek freak

Im with FF.

And speakin to a few my mates who are committed motor-racing diehards, they are too.

People see thru v8sc, esp with blueprint where the cars are soo loosely connected to real cars, they may as well be NAscars or Funnycars. (hand made chassis with body panels moulded and painted tolook sorta-like something you recognise). How can you really get over excited about your brand winning then?

However even tho gtp is handicapped etc, there is a real recognition of the cars as being a real test of what you drive. (go the 24hr!)

Theres a real takeup on GTP/Nat Cup and also V8_Brutes ute racing! I think if a few manufacturers or big names get in with GT-P it could just EXPLODE!

Also the brUTE racing on SBS has been absolutely thrilling to watch, real exciting,cars actually pass each other (tho not ALWAYS sucessfully hehehe) and with the carry-boy spoilers they look hot as hell!
"Lightning Strike" XT-Sports, Barra182 auto, 17" 7-spoke alloys, Sports IRS, body kit, Spoiler, Cruise, Premium Audio with mp3, Power Windows all round, Darkest tinted glass, Chrome scuff plate inserts, Phone presenter, Pollen filter, Towpack, Boot liner, 4 Mudspats, Slimline white numberplates.
CLICK HERE!
jemmex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2002, 03:06   #7 (permalink)
plonky

Some of the perceived problems that FF has highlighted is EXACTLY what race fans want and what the category has been trying to achieve. Where cars are that close so that the only way an overtaking manouevre can be accomplished is where the driver in front makes a mistake, doesn't conserve their tyres or can find themselves in 20th position but are only 2/10ths of a second of the lead driver.

I don't know but to me that sounds like pretty close racing.

The misperception of the downforce gluing the car to the road is exactly that, a misperception. These cars are incredibly hard to keep on the track due to the enormous amount of torque and horspepower, brake pedal that feels like you're standing on concrete and narrow wheels and tyres which are very dependant on operating temperature.

The aero pack helps maintain the car speed through corners and stops the car from becoming completely unstable when getting up to some serious speed. Drive a Ferrari or Porsche at high speed and you will know what I mean.
Old 10-15-2002, 04:08   #8 (permalink)
****in Flat Out Racing

Quote:
Originally posted by plonky
Some of the perceived problems that FF has highlighted is EXACTLY what race fans want and what the category has been trying to achieve. Where cars are that close so that the only way an overtaking manouevre can be accomplished is where the driver in front makes a mistake, doesn't conserve their tyres or can find themselves in 20th position but are only 2/10ths of a second of the lead driver.
Yes, at the moment is is close.. But too close... Don't know about you, but I want to see plenty of passes and racecraft. Don't really want to watch 30 odd cars nose to tail for 20 laps, just waiting for someone to screw up.
FFOracing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2002, 05:32   #9 (permalink)
socially irresponsible

dump v8 sc. lets see the production class come on with homologation specials. lets see the major manufacturers come up with engineering that helps our road cars through r&d on the race cars. lets see more than just 2 body styles and engines. lets see how good our local cars are against japs, yanks and euros. lets see broad minds at the races.
JG33PY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2002, 06:21   #10 (permalink)
pR()rN_*

Then if you do what your suggesting only the rich teams will win.
At the moment in V8sc there is a large differance between cars in the way they handle and the way they go. You all don't honestly think that Scaffy is that good a driver do you? Lownes went from constant 1,2 victories to 11 because he's not running with a multimillion dollar team and can't afford to get the very best out of there cars. At the moment it's a driver/car race were the best driver in the best car will win but if you open it up to much then it a bad driver with the most money will win instead.
my 2c but I think it works well as it is they just need Ford to get a good aero package.
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Fordforums Community > Latest Ford News and Racing News > Ford Racing Across the Globe