Ford Forums banner

Holden fails aero test.

4K views 27 replies 15 participants last post by  josh.c 
#1 ·
During the recent aero tests under Operation Blueprint, TEGA set a benchmark for both Manufactures to meet. They were-
45kg on the front
130kg on the rear

Results were-
Ford 52 and 135
Holden 90 and 110

Ford were apparently given the OK
Holden told to go away and try again.

#4 ·
they just keep on trying to get past it don't they. I am glad tega finally put what it should roughly be down. The next test will be very very interesting!!!!!!!

#6 ·
just for comparison....
vx commodore 63kgs front and 110kgs rear
au falcon 16 kgs front and 138kgs rear
that was from an old post somewhere and i dont remember the source...(looks like a scan from a magazine)
from this we can say that the BA has still got less front downforce than the VX.. so theoretically those holden teams with VX's will be one step ahead aerodynamically but suffer in other ways(engine heads)
interesting......

#14 ·
Testing is banned until late-January, in fact I hear there may be a supertest session at Eastern Creek in February with all teams being required to attend. That will be the first session.

The aero will be finalised before teams - Ford or Holden - start testing. It also seems that no-one will have a BA ready for testing until into February at any rate.

#15 ·
I think the best way to do things, is get everything with the aero kits figured out, and then let them start testing. Once all the aero tests are done and confirmed correct, it should be that all teams can start testing as soon as the cars are ready!

#16 ·
As 00 Lowndes often quotes GTR in conrod.

I think GTR made a very valid point concerning testing of front and rear downforce. It should be done in a wind tunnel, and done by a professional as the teams cannot mess around with suspension set up which could effect Tega testing done at a race track.

I always assumed the project blueprint was to give both brands a simular aero pack unlike the VY/VX and AU falcons. If this is to be the case or another means of testing which be got around is another thing.

#17 ·
Project blueprint wasn't to make the aero package the same for both makes. If u did that, u would have 2 total different downforce levels, as the cars have different aerodynamic body's. Holden and Ford need to create the aero packages to the specifications that are put down, and if either are off by a fair margin, then they should be sent back to the drawing board to come up with one that is to those specifications. Which is what has happened with holden to go back to the drawing board, and ford given the green light!

#18 ·
XR6T,

Yes, what I meant was the to be no major difference in Aero packages as there seemed to be with the VX and AU

#19 ·
The thing thats anoying, is the fact that its not hard to make an aero kit do what you wan't, small agle changes and length changes can effect downforce with less drag rather easily, and with computers these days and a wind tunnel, any combination of downforce ratio's can be made to suit, so Ford getting theres so close so soon without a wind tunnel just goes to show who is actually using there brain........

#20 ·
I think that Holden was just assuming that they'd get through, even if they were over the set level by a fair whack.

#24 ·
It would be quite easy to test in a wind tunnel. To remove the effect of suspension settings just lock the springs solid at their road going height with blocks of wood and clamp the springs so that theres no movement . turn on the fan and bingo , you've got your results. Therefore no one can muck around with spring rates , shockies tyre pressures to try and cheat.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.