HRT building VY racecar - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
» Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Fordforums Community > Latest Ford News and Racing News > Ford Racing Across the Globe
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-10-2002, 03:43   #1 (permalink)
Hawthorn Supporter

HRT building VY racecar

The dominant Holden Racing Team looks set to be the first to get its hands on Holden's new VY Commodore, with the team expected to 'debut' the new car as early as October - well before final homologation is approved.
However, it won't be a full race version hitting the track, but a mock-up of next year's racecar to be shown at the Sydney Motor Show.

"Yes, it's true Holden has asked the team to do a mock-up of next year's racecar in time for the Motor Show," confirmed HRT PR manager Paul Weissel.

The project was also confirmed by Holden Motorsport boss John Stevenson, who added that the VY racecar won't look all that dissimilar from the current VX, with most of the major changes under the skin.

"Externally it will look similar - the air ducts will look the same, the brake ducts will look the same, even the grill and headlights will be similar," said Stevenson. "However there'll be a different look around the front bumper corners.

"The major changes, though, will be what you can't see - double wishbone suspension instead of Macpherson strut, a new cylinder head and new engine block."

Stevenson is expecting supplies of the new engine block to arrive from the US in August, with aero tests of the VY racecar for homologation approval to be conducted in late November or early December.

Sorry about the quality of the pic as i'm inexperienced with scanners

An artist's impression of HRT's mock-up VY Commodore racecar
FPRXR-6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-10-2002, 04:07   #2 (permalink)
true blue thru & thru

i hope thats what the Vy will look like, cause those lights look terrible
Old 07-10-2002, 07:05   #3 (permalink)
Bring Back the 24hr!!!

I have been told that a rumor that Holden have been testing the VY supercar overseas for "a while" is not just a rumor.... I dunno how true this is, I doubt it to be happening myself, but I don't really know...
Donut King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2002, 16:05   #4 (permalink)

WHy are they getting a new engine block?

____o00o_=^..^=_o00o____
Falchoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2002, 16:47   #5 (permalink)
Agent Provocateur

As part of "Operation Blueprint", the goal was to make the cars achieve "Tevhnical Parity" to assist in getting "Performance Parity".

One of the problems was that the deck height of the Holden engine was higher, that allowed for longer stroke and required heavier pistons. The downside was that the airflow was poorer and usually required customised "siamesed" inlets whilst people argue about the outcome the general opinion was that if gave Commodores a more driveable engine if not the most powerful.

A I understand it Ford did not have an engine with the taller deck height that could fit under the bonnet but GM had a shorter one as used in IRL racing that could be used so a decision was made to equalise the blocks. This now leads to the opportunity to give standard or maximum weights to the pistons and other components to both lower costs and maintain "Parity".

It is just another cog in the whole Ford front end/Holden Rear end make everything rougly the same wheel. The end point being, if the techs are the same, the tyres are the same and somehow they get the aero the same then driving once again becomes more important.

This might not all be gospel but it is the general gist
05forever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2002, 22:19   #6 (permalink)
MadMax

Quote:
Originally posted by Donut King
I have been told that a rumor that Holden have been testing the VY supercar overseas for "a while" is not just a rumor.... I dunno how true this is, I doubt it to be happening myself, but I don't really know...

Would not surprise me in the least
Old 07-10-2002, 22:28   #7 (permalink)

without looking at the lights, the car looks exactly the same... I hope it does look like that :)
Pearly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2002, 23:44   #8 (permalink)

Thanks for the info 05forever, I take it that the motor is still a pushrod 5.0? So all the Holden teams have to scrap their existing motors, can't see that being a money saver! Maybe they will still be allowed to run old motor in old car but if they choose to update to VY they will have to run this new motor.

Is the Konica series cars affected by Operation Blueprint at all does anyone know? Most of these cars are the hand-me-downs from the Level One V8 series.

____o00o_=^..^=_o00o____
Old 07-10-2002, 23:55   #9 (permalink)

wowee another hrt car. who cares honestly. more and more it seems like the commodore cup to me. it's obvious that holden and avesco are in it together. what does everyone else think?
6speedxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2002, 23:59   #10 (permalink)

Welcome to FordForums 6speedxr8! :beerchuge

Go easy on the anti-HRT stuff mate the mods are cracking down on it - read this thread http://discussions.fordforums.com/sh...threadid=20388

____o00o_=^..^=_o00o____
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Fordforums Community > Latest Ford News and Racing News > Ford Racing Across the Globe