Ingall Defected - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
» Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Fordforums Community > Latest Ford News and Racing News > Ford Racing Across the Globe
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-02-2002, 20:06   #1 (permalink)

Ingall Defected

From the Herald Sun:

By PAUL GOVER
03oct02

THE hard man of V8 Supercar racing has just made the toughest decision of his career.

Russell "The Enforcer" Ingall has decided to fight for Ford in 2003.
He will defect from Holden at the end of the season, joining Craig Lowndes as a renegade racer in the blue-oval camp.

Ingall and his family are also heading north, deserting Melbourne for a new home on the Gold Coast, in a move that has fuelled rumours that have him racing for the Stone Brothers' team in 2003 alongside Marcos Ambrose.

There has been speculation about Ingall's plans since he confirmed earlier this year that he would not be extending his time as Larry Perkins' Commodore sidekick.

It was Perkins who gave him his big break in V8 Supercar racing when Ingall returned from Europe. He had won plenty of races and the British Formula Ford championship, but stalled in German Formula 3 and couldn't make the jump to a grand prix grid.

Perkins took him to Bathurst and they won together in 1995, a result that produced a full-time drive for Ingall the following season.

He was runner-up in the V8 Supercar championship from 1998-2000 in Castrol Commodores.

Ingall refuses to even discuss his plans for next year, beyond admitting that he will end his seven-year relationship with Perkins.

"I have nothing to say. I'm racing with Larry until the end of this year and at the moment I'm looking forward to racing at Bathurst next week with Steven Richards," Ingall said yesterday.

"I reckon we've got a pretty good shot at Bathurst. We were second in the Queensland 500, and we've both won twice at Bathurst, so we know what it takes.

"Next year? I'll worry about that when the time comes."

Holden had hoped to keep news of Ingall's defection quiet until after Bathurst, to ensure a splash if he and Richards do take the Big One.

But Holden's motor sport director Ray Borrett said months ago that he would not get involved in a bidding war over Ingall.

"He is getting pretty close to his use-by date," Borrett said at the time.

Ingall has had a solid but unspectacular run this year, in contrast to his runner-up seasons and the controversial 2000 championship in which he was fined $25,000 for rough driving and criticising tailenders at Bathurst.

But Ford is confident it is getting another potential champion.

Ford motor sport director Howard Marsden won't talk about any deal with Ingall but admits he is worth having. "It would be an easy market research job to nominate the top five drivers in this country, and Russell would be in there."

Marsden believes Ingall ranks with Ambrose, Lowndes and John Bowe as a potential V8 Supercar champion, while Holden's only solid series contender is Mark Skaife.

By PAUL GOVER
03oct02

THE hard man of V8 Supercar racing has just made the toughest decision of his career.

Russell "The Enforcer" Ingall has decided to fight for Ford in 2003.
He will defect from Holden at the end of the season, joining Craig Lowndes as a renegade racer in the blue-oval camp.

Ingall and his family are also heading north, deserting Melbourne for a new home on the Gold Coast, in a move that has fuelled rumours that have him racing for the Stone Brothers' team in 2003 alongside Marcos Ambrose.

There has been speculation about Ingall's plans since he confirmed earlier this year that he would not be extending his time as Larry Perkins' Commodore sidekick.

It was Perkins who gave him his big break in V8 Supercar racing when Ingall returned from Europe. He had won plenty of races and the British Formula Ford championship, but stalled in German Formula 3 and couldn't make the jump to a grand prix grid.

Perkins took him to Bathurst and they won together in 1995, a result that produced a full-time drive for Ingall the following season.

He was runner-up in the V8 Supercar championship from 1998-2000 in Castrol Commodores.

Ingall refuses to even discuss his plans for next year, beyond admitting that he will end his seven-year relationship with Perkins.

"I have nothing to say. I'm racing with Larry until the end of this year and at the moment I'm looking forward to racing at Bathurst next week with Steven Richards," Ingall said yesterday.

"I reckon we've got a pretty good shot at Bathurst. We were second in the Queensland 500, and we've both won twice at Bathurst, so we know what it takes.

"Next year? I'll worry about that when the time comes."

Holden had hoped to keep news of Ingall's defection quiet until after Bathurst, to ensure a splash if he and Richards do take the Big One.

But Holden's motor sport director Ray Borrett said months ago that he would not get involved in a bidding war over Ingall.

"He is getting pretty close to his use-by date," Borrett said at the time.

Ingall has had a solid but unspectacular run this year, in contrast to his runner-up seasons and the controversial 2000 championship in which he was fined $25,000 for rough driving and criticising tailenders at Bathurst.

But Ford is confident it is getting another potential champion.

Ford motor sport director Howard Marsden won't talk about any deal with Ingall but admits he is worth having. "It would be an easy market research job to nominate the top five drivers in this country, and Russell would be in there."

Marsden believes Ingall ranks with Ambrose, Lowndes and John Bowe as a potential V8 Supercar champion, while Holden's only solid series contender is Mark Skaife.
Falcus is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-02-2002, 20:14   #2 (permalink)
Hawthorn Supporter

Lowndes and Ingall

:beerchuge
Old 10-02-2002, 21:53   #3 (permalink)
JEM
Future XR Owner

biggrin

Thank you...

Did anybody doubt me when i said this months and months ago???

Spacelord...I'll have an FPV sticker and what ever else you want to throw in mate:s3
JEM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2002, 22:20   #4 (permalink)

Lowndes and Ingall sounds good to me if it happens.
Falcon Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2002, 23:12   #5 (permalink)
Code Monkey

still a possibility, i still dont belive it still correct but what caught my eyes was this!
"He is getting pretty close to his use-by date," Borrett said at the time

again no respect shown from holden towards its elder statesmen! i dont liek the bloke but he aint that bad
Old 10-03-2002, 03:12   #6 (permalink)
------

Read the article, it doesnt say anything about 00 Motorsport, just says that he will be the second apparant 'Holden man' to drive for Ford in the past few years...
Old 10-03-2002, 04:42   #7 (permalink)
A Fully Sick " Can't "

True that
It just says he is moving, says nothing about what team mate.
Old 10-04-2002, 00:28   #8 (permalink)

are there any other ford teams in QLD besides SBR and DJR ???from memory 00 was based in melbourne
tx3dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2002, 00:32   #9 (permalink)
Code Monkey

supercheap, larko, weel, mclean, briggs..... take your pick
Old 10-07-2002, 00:56   #10 (permalink)
2nd car....XR6turbo

Be interesting to see where prodrive (if the team gets up and running) bases itself. If its in queensland it could be interesting.
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Fordforums Community > Latest Ford News and Racing News > Ford Racing Across the Globe