Mad Max to DJR its now fact - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
» Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Fordforums Community > Latest Ford News and Racing News > Ford Racing Across the Globe
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-17-2003, 18:57   #1 (permalink)
Au's Gotta Lov'em

Mad Max to DJR its now fact

from Segal Media Services

MEDIA RELEASE

‘MIGHTY’ MAX WILSON SIGNS WITH SHELL HELIX RACING
Shell Helix Racing today ended months of speculation by announcing the appointment of Brazilian international Max Wilson to its 2003 driver line-up.

Wilson, 30, will join second-generation racer Steve Johnson, 29, in a pair of all-new BA-model Ford Falcon XR8s for the 2003 V8 Supercar season, which begins with the Australian Grand Prix (Albert Park, Melbourne) on 7-9 March.

From Sao Paulo, Brazil, Wilson is a true ‘international’ with an extensive career that began in karts at age 11.

Since then, Max has successfully raced Formula Ford and Formula 3000 in Europe, then spent two years as the Williams Formula 1 team test driver, a further year with Michelin testing for Formula 1, before a move to America to contest the CART series.

In 2001 Wilson moved into V8 Supercars here in Australia, impressing many observers including Shell Helix Racing’s Dick Johnson.

"Max was very, very fast last year but his lack of experience racing locally told … now he’s done a season he understands how it works and we think he’ll be exceptional, we can’t wait to see him in action in one of our cars," Dick Johnson said.

"Together, Max and Steve will make a very complimentary driving combination … Max’s raw speed and technical expertise, and Steve’s physical endurance and experience of local races and conditions."

Delighted to be stepping up into one of V8 Supercar racing’s premier teams, Wilson spoke of his excitement approaching the 2003 season.

"Last year I proved I could get on top of the car to produce a quick lap, this year with the experience and expertise of the Shell Helix team I hope to put many fast laps together and get my first win in the series.

"I am very settled now," Wilson said.

"2002 gave me the chance to get a feel for V8 Supercars and how far I can push. It also gave me a chance to become familiar with the circuits. Now it’s time to get down to business."

A dedicated physical fitness aficionado, Max is considered one of the fittest V8 Supercar drivers on the grid, backing this claim up recently with a successful 157 lap test session at Queensland Raceway in 40 degree plus ambient temperatures.

As team owner Dick Johnson noted, "Max’s times that day would have put the car on pole at last year’s Queensland 500, and he did it all without even wanting a water bottle!

"During the day the boys were able to extract an extra second from the car based on Max’s recommendations, and on top of that, when he did emerge from the car he had hardly raised a sweat," Johnson added.

The 2003 V8 Supercar season kicks off in March with the non-championship Australian Grand Prix, before the V8 Supercar Championship Series begins in Adelaide two weeks later at the Clipsal 500.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Dick seems pretty happy with his new charger.
Advertisement

Old 02-17-2003, 19:15   #2 (permalink)
Code Monkey

he said the same thing when he signed the rat
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Fordforums Community > Latest Ford News and Racing News > Ford Racing Across the Globe