Ford Forums banner

Mark Webber to drive for Minardi

3K views 20 replies 14 participants last post by  HSE2 
#1 ·
Woohoo :fluffy: :clap: :beerchuge :cheer: Channel 10 has just announced that Mark Webber has just got the seat at Minardi and all he has to do is get the money which is all settled through Ron Walker.
It's about farkin time.

#2 ·
<marquee><b><font size=7>WWWWWWWWWOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOHHHHHHHHHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!</font> </b></marquee>

Well done mark webber!!!! :s5 :what4: :heydude: :fluffy: :beerchuge :whiskey: :clap: :clap: :clap: :cheer: :hit: :hy: :rockon:

#4 ·
Someone pinch me!! An Aussie in and Aussie owned F1 team; hooray for belated Xmas presents!!:s6:

#8 ·
I think thats GREAT that he got the drive.
Its about time more Aussies got these sort of drives.
However I think he will need to brush up on his presentation skills. The company I used to work for has sponsored him for the last 5 years and so he came in to work and did a Question & Answer type meeting. I found him boring. Maybe it had something to do with the fact that he called the V8Supercars "S...boxs"...

#10 ·
so will ford poeple now go for Jaguar or minardi?
I'll wish him the best but Im still going for Eddie and Jaguar!
This is very Good news though, I'm pleased for Mark and it's been long overdue.

#12 ·
FORDV8 said:
However I think he will need to brush up on his presentation skills. The company I used to work for has sponsored him for the last 5 years and so he came in to work and did a Question & Answer type meeting. I found him boring. Maybe it had something to do with the fact that he called the V8Supercars "S...boxs"...
I think he's much better than a former F1 Champ who hailed from Australia though. Boring is probably better than downright arrogant and a general arse anyday.

Anyway, the most boring driver is currently the most successful driver too!

#13 ·
Australian driver Mark Webber was on track as expected for the KL Minardi outfit and was just under four seconds off Raikkonen's blistering pace, almost two seconds faster than previous times set here by the team this week.

Thursday's times from Valencia:
01: Kimi Raikkonen – McLaren – 1:12.118 – 94 laps
02: Giancarlo Fisichella – Jordan – 1:12. 828 – 106 laps
03: Ralf Schumacher – Williams – 1:13.323 – 60 laps
04: Takuma Sato – Jordan – 1:13. 536 – 104 laps
05: Olivier Panis – BAR – 1:14.300 – 81 laps
06: Juan Pablo Montoya – Williams – 1:14.434 – 22 laps
07: Marc Gene – Williams – 1:14.639 – 64 laps
08: Jacques Villeneuve – BAR – 1:14.669 – 50 laps
09: Mika Salo – Toyota – 1:15.278 – 40 laps
10: Anthony Davidson – BAR – 1:15.752 – 60 laps
11: Mark Webber – Minardi – 1:16.113 – 48 laps
12: Christian Albers – Minardi – 1:18.612 – 32 laps

#14 ·
2.5 seconds faster than a guy that sometimes tests for Minardi, and Webber has never driven the car before. There's no substitute for talent and ability.

I've have been saying for a while now that if Webber gets the chance at Minardi he will thrash their other driver (Alex Yoong)

#18 ·
Latest on the Webber - Minardi situation from F1-live.com

Webber stakes his claim for Minardi seat
''We have been very impressed with Mark's performance.'' [18/01/02 - 19:10]

Mark Webber

Australian driver Mark Webber is set for a three-way battle with veteran racers Heinz-Harald Frentzen and Jos Verstappen to clinch a drive with the Minardi Formula One in this year's world championship. Webber tested for the team this week at this Spanish track and made such an impression that he has been invited back to test again next week.

"We have been very impressed with Mark's performance, so much so that he will test for us again next week at Misano," said Minardi boss Paul Stoddart. "His best time of 1:16.111, set on the first day in the car, was very good, as was Friday's 1:16.730, and this sort of performance shows that he can be competitive in Formula One."

However, Stoddart, who already has confirmed Malaysia's Alex Yoong as a driver for the new season, insisted that a decision on a teammate for Yoong has yet to be decided.

"Contrary to reports, a decision on the second driver has not been taken. Mark is clearly on the shortlist, but no decision will be taken until the Frentzen-Verstappen situation has been clarified."

Frentzen, who ended last season driving for Prost, is in limbo as doubts persist over whether or not the cash-strapped French team will make it to the grid for the season opener in Melbourne on March 3. A decision on the future of the Prost team is expected on Monday. Dutchman Verstappen drove for Arrows in 2001, but his seat with the team for 2002 is still not certain.

Source AFP

www.f1-live.com/f1-2001/en/headlines/news/detail/020118191208.shtml

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.