Moffat's Bathurst Coupes? - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
» Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Fordforums Community > Latest Ford News and Racing News > Ford Racing Across the Globe
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-05-2003, 20:51   #1 (permalink)
Resident geek freak

Question Moffat's Bathurst Coupes?

I wanted to draw attention to a question I asked on Conrod.com, coz i thought maybe some you the guys who post here but not there may have some info for me. So I will ask it here too....

----------------------------------------

Im probably the most fanatical Allan Moffat fan left in the world. Recently I was looking at some pix of Moffats 73-79 2 doors, and I got to wondering how many 2-Doors he actually had, and how many were just repaints of older cars.

OK so the blue and white XA that won in 73, is one car.

And the famous but unsuccesful Brut33 XB of 74 was a new car, so that makes two.

In 75 he had a very pretty red and gold paint job, but was this the Brut car repainted? This car was destroyed in a transporter fire, i believe.

So in 76 he has the "Phoenix Falcon" XB. White and black with blue and red stripes (the famous "1-2" colour scheme). A new car? Number three (or is it four?)

This car also races in 77 with a twin for Bond. At bathurst we have two XCs with the same paint job as the XBs. I think theses are really the XBs with new nose or were they new cars?

78 sees two Cobras appear at the Sandown 500. Were these new cars or repainted 77 cars ..which may even be repainted and renosed XBs?

In 1977 and 78, Colin Bond had a XB in the 77 paint scheme for the ATCC rounds, an XC in the same paint for bathurst and XC cobras for 78 sandown and bathurst and late year enduros. 1, 2 or 3 cars? (Im guessing one)

After the break up in 78 bond takes his cobra and it appears in various paintjobs before being retired.

In 1979 Moff has a very striking Chocolate, red and yellow "Federation" XC for Bathurst. The money was very tight that year, so this must have been the Cobra repainted.

So how many Coupes did moffat race, and how many were just reskins of the one car? Can anyone help?
------------------------------------------------------------

Last edited by jemmex; 07-05-2003 at 20:54.
jemmex is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-05-2003, 20:57   #2 (permalink)
Resident geek freak

Re: Moffat's Bathurst Coupes?

ON a similar note does anyone have or has anyone seen, a COLOUR pic of the 1-2 Bathurst finish.

An actual colour photo of the two XCs collecting the chequer in formation.

I have only ever seen this in black and white. tho plenty of colour pics of various races through the year, and colour pics taken during the race and practice.
Old 07-05-2003, 21:17   #3 (permalink)
V8 ute driver!

get the latest aussie muscle car mag, it's got an article on the falcon cobra's 25th anniversary. It's got an interview with moffat about the cars an a heap of technical stuff on the cars. Of the earlier stuff i got no idea.
Any offer considered.
Now driving a 04 BA XR8 Manual Envi ute. Mods to come...
flavze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2003, 00:36   #4 (permalink)

Jemmex, As far as I know, Moff's coupes are as follows:
XA 1973 - The blue and white 1973 Bathurst winning coupe was written off at Phillip Island later that year.
XB 1974 - Brut 33 actually first appeared at the 1974 Sandown 500 but with a very plain paint job. Ran well with no probs. It then appeared at Bathurst in the famous Brut 33 livery. This car was run in 1975 in red and gold colours and was destroyed in the transporter fire en route to Adelaide in 1976 (you're spot on with that one, Jemmex).
XB 1976 - Moffat Ford Dealers. This was the project phoenix car. It was dominating Bathurst in 1976 until the fan belt pulley detached from the harmonic balancer and cooked the engine.
XC 1977 - Moffat Ford Dealers. I'm really not sure if both these coupes were new cars or if one of them was the project phoenix car upgraded. My gut feeling is that they were both brand new cars. These cars were freshened up and reappeared in 1978 with the Cobra paint job. The car that Moffat kept then appeared again in 1979 in Federation Insurance colours.

As far as I can work out, there has been only 5 coupes owned and run by the Moffat team.
Bearman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2003, 07:14   #5 (permalink)
Resident geek freak

HEy thanks for the info Bearman. im really enjoying all this digging.

You may want to peek over at the conrod forum, as couple of the guys there have some different info. It may be that one of the Cobras and the Federation car were in fact new cars. I think moffs 76 car was raced in 77, and only 1 new car was built, tho Im not sure if moff got the Newie or Bond did.

Also after moff totalled his 73 car he was given another for the first half of 74 (the car raced by Fred Gibson in 73), also perhaps the Brut 33 car was actually one of three XAs built for the 1973 season (the team spare)

So theres still lots of questions that need sorting! Lots fun.
Old 07-06-2003, 17:52   #6 (permalink)
------

allanmoffat.com.au

Watch this space
Old 07-06-2003, 19:51   #7 (permalink)
The Supreme Machine!

Found some interesting pics :)

1960 FB Holden Wagon: (Tha Yella Terra) 192ci 6cyl,4spd, 13x7 Chromies.

NA fairlane ghia 5.0

Last edited by XA_GT_351; 07-06-2003 at 20:01.
XA_GT_351 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2003, 20:19   #8 (permalink)
The Supreme Machine!

R.I.P XA

1960 FB Holden Wagon: (Tha Yella Terra) 192ci 6cyl,4spd, 13x7 Chromies.

NA fairlane ghia 5.0
XA_GT_351 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Fordforums Community > Latest Ford News and Racing News > Ford Racing Across the Globe