My workmate has no idea - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
» Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Fordforums Community > Latest Ford News and Racing News > Ford Racing Across the Globe
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-04-2003, 17:16   #1 (permalink)

My workmate has no idea

I was discussing the wonderful Ford trifecta with a workmate who's a Ford supporter & V8 Supercar fan when another workmate buts in and says it's not a sport and starts crapping on about AFL. He reckons it's just driving a car, he does it every day on the way to work, too easy, anybody can do it. I said that probably most race car drivers would be fitter than his AFL players and that it's bloody hard work steering a V8 SC around a circuit for 300km. My workmate is so narrow minded I just want to punch him in the face when he starts sprouting sh*t like this. I don't follow AFL but I respect the fact that other ppl do and that's their thing and makes them happy but this guy thinks AFL & Soccer are the only sports that matter and everything else is just sh*t and there's no skill or effort involved in any other activity. How can I make him see reason without resorting to violence? Does anybody know what sort of fitness/gym training the V8 guys do?

____o00o_=^..^=_o00o____
Falchoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-04-2003, 17:27   #2 (permalink)
Ford Member

just punch him
rabbi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2003, 17:27   #3 (permalink)

Re: My workmate has no idea

Quote:
Originally posted by Falchoon
I said that probably most race car drivers would be fitter than his AFL players
I see the point you're trying to make, and I totally agree with most of what you're saying. But I don't know about the above claim. AFL players would have to be one of, if not the fittest bunch of sportsmen in the country. Like you said you're not a follower of AFL, so you wouldn't understand the amount of training and physical work these guys have to go through each each just to make it on to the playing field.

Ash
Kenaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2003, 17:51   #4 (permalink)
Crikey

Its horses for courses, different levels of fitness are needed in each individual sport. I remember reading recently that the AIS undertook some studies trying to compare the levels of fitness and racing car drivers were up the top of the list.

Having done three hot laps of Eastern Creek with Wayne Gardner I don't know how the hell they do it quite frankly.
Blurter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2003, 18:42   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally posted by Blurter
Its horses for courses, different levels of fitness are needed in each individual sport. I remember reading recently that the AIS undertook some studies trying to compare the levels of fitness and racing car drivers were up the top of the list.

Having done three hot laps of Eastern Creek with Wayne Gardner I don't know how the hell they do it quite frankly.
You're not kidding!! I was lucky enough to score a cpople of laps around Calder with Marcos Ambrose when he first joined SBR. I was knackered and all I was doing was sitting there!!

The AIS put Larry Perkins through a fitness test and he rated really well. No disrespect but I wonder how some of the younger drivers would have rated?
Bearman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2003, 18:57   #6 (permalink)

People like that are not worth the time Falchoon. I have run into enough of them over the years.

IMO, Any professional sportsperson deserves respect. The amount of work and commitment required to be in the top levels of any pro sport these days is well beyond your average Joe Blogs.
PURSUTE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2003, 19:14   #7 (permalink)

Simple. But your workmate in a race car and ask him if it's still "easy"... What a jerk.
JamesM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2003, 19:25   #8 (permalink)
gone

send him my way and I will sit on him!
laminge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2003, 19:40   #9 (permalink)
Veteran Ford Member

Ah the number of people who have said 'it's just cars going round and round, where's the fun in watching that?'

I just ignore them, they quite obviously have short attention spans. If you put these people in a V8 supercar, they'd spin the wheels all the way down the straight, then lose it at the first corner.
psycho chicken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2003, 20:50   #10 (permalink)
More horsepower required

Next time when he tells you is having a hard day , tell him his job is easy , and a blind one armed cripple could do it .

Don't waste your time with the ignorant fool.
Fordhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Fordforums Community > Latest Ford News and Racing News > Ford Racing Across the Globe