Ford Forums banner

New F1 tyre

1K views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  DRU842 
#1 ·
From the Herald Sun

Radical F1 tyre deflated

19feb02

A RADICAL new Formula One tyre has been deemed "too groovy" by the sport's governing body.

The tyre is likely to be banned if its manufacturer or any of the F1 teams tries to use it at the season-opening Australian Grand Prix on March 3.
French tyre maker Michelin had reportedly been intending to give a Melbourne debut to the tyre with an innovative groove pattern and altered "shoulders".

Website formula1.com reported Michelin was in dispute with Federation Internationale de l'Automobile (FIA) over the interpretation of tyre regulations.

Two of the sport's top three teams, McLaren and Williams, will race on Michelin rubber this season, while world champion Ferrari remains on Japanese Bridgestones.

A source at one of the tyre companies said the rules were too vague and the FIA's strong stand against the design had come too close to the first race.

FIA's London-based president Max Mosley said: "There are certain things being discussed for Melbourne, things we know about.

"There is one thing we know is illegal and we have told the people concerned. I hope they won't turn up with it in Melbourne."

Sources within FIA were quoted as saying there were concerns "over proposals for asymmetric grooves and sloping shoulder designs".

"We think the grooves should be uniform across the tyre whichever way you look at them, but some people disagree," one of the sources said.

"Some people think that if one shoulder slopes more than the other that would be all right. We don't."

See less See more
#2 ·
this is interesting

from what i had been reading about it over the past week or two with ron dennis the one complaining and then max mosley saying it was with the sloping grooves on tyres i took it that it was bridgestone and ferrari that were doing it

it really doesn't make sense to me why ron dennis was the one complaining unless other teams like williams was getting this tyre and not mclaren. that would really get on your nerves eh

or maybe the articles i had been reading were really confused and what ron dennis was talking about was in fact not about tyres at all and max mosley didn't want to talk about that issue so instead commented on the tyre one

oh well im all confused lol

#3 ·
Ron D. has been hinting at a technical breach of the regulations for a few months, word is its a veiled threat against Ferrari's new gearbox set-up.
Don't see why F1 needs to use grooved tyres (for drys) anyway this whole problem, along with worrying about tread depth at the end of races etc, would go away if the just go away if the just went back to slicks!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.