New member of V8 Racing - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
» Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Fordforums Community > Latest Ford News and Racing News > Ford Racing Across the Globe
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-19-2002, 06:19   #1 (permalink)
A Fully Sick " Can't "

New member of V8 Racing

Has anyone heard anything about who/and if any new companies shall be joining the V8 racing.
I have heard many rumors that
*Toyota
*Mitsubishi
*Nissan
All want to join, but have not seen any real evidence of this.
Anyone know anything?

Old 10-19-2002, 16:01   #2 (permalink)
Code Monkey

skoda

ROFL nah no idea all these rumours are just that far fetched rumours nothing more nothing less
Old 10-19-2002, 16:05   #3 (permalink)

I think both Toyota and Mitsubishi have approached AVESCO about joining the V8 Supercars, not sure what the outcome has been. I don't think AVESCo are that keen to see other manufacturers in the series but if they tipped a few truckloads of money AVESCOs way things might be different...
It seems motorsport fans are split about wanting other manufacturers to join up. I reckon it should just be Ford vs Holden.

____o00o_=^..^=_o00o____
Falchoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2002, 20:14   #4 (permalink)
plonky

I don't believe other manufacturers have the right to enter this category. Both Ford and Holden spent truckloads of money establishing the category, and they deserve to reap any benefit from the category.

People may complain that there are only two manufacturers in the Championship. That may be the case, but the category has evolved (more though than some people) into a driver and team category, not just a manufacturers category.

There are plenty of people who follow various teams for what ever reason, and the drivers don't necessarily drive the same brand. This is similar to Nascar in the States. Before anyone whinges about Nascar, sit and watch a race and be amazed at the level of skill of the pit crews and the drivers. It may look just like an oval but at speed they are 90 degree corners.

If another manufacturer was to enter, what would prevent them from spending all their resources into one super team. As an example, one Mitsubishi in the field against 25 Holdens and Fords. HRT may be Holden's super team (through TWRA) but if you look at every Holden in the field, they all have Holden sponsorship one way or the other (signified by the windscreen banner).

The category is Ford and Holden. It is designed primarily as an entertainment that is competing with numerous other types of sport such as Union, League, Tennis etc. All of these sport exist at a professional level because of sponsorship.

If you want a true test of driver then it has to be single make, with all the cars prepared identically by the one car builder. Formula Ford and Formula Holden are close to this and provide incredibly good racing - but not big crowds.

In sedan racing, the argument of GTP style racing is better is an argument that is utopian. There can never be true parity in cars that are fundamentally different.

V8 Supercars is probably the best attempt at trying to provide an equal platform for unequal driving ability. It works (even though I cannot stand the fact that Ford haven't won a round this year)
Old 10-19-2002, 21:59   #5 (permalink)
Rail Rider

What?!!

Queensland ring a bell?
Old 10-19-2002, 22:16   #6 (permalink)
plonky

Sorry about that, Bezzy won in Queensland.

(Now to run around the pool table in my boxers for getting it wrong!)
Old 10-20-2002, 03:29   #7 (permalink)
At the 3FB Cheese Wheel

V8 Supercars are destined to fall in a heap within 10 years if they don't inject something different. I'm not saying this because HRT are winning all the time either.

It's a two brand race where the cars owe nothing to the road going versions. It will become worse in the next few years as the cars a become even more identical in their mechanicals. You may as well watch formula Ford or Holden.

Both Toyota and Mitsubishi have expressed a strong interest in V8 Supercars. Both companies have their own V8's to put into the car. Toyota have Lexus and Mitsubishi has Chrysler V8 engines.

If there is any resistance from AVESCO it will because they are probably scared that these brands will start winning and turn the Ford and Holden fans away (remember the success of the GTR?). Holden fans, after basking in the success of HRT for the past couple of years will be the first ones to bitch about another brand winning.

IMO bringing back the Group C Touring cars would be the best thing to do.
Old 10-21-2002, 08:18   #8 (permalink)
Pinky!

I wouldn't mind seeing both Toyota and Mitsubishi join in the V8Supercar series. It would certainly add some interest to what has become a repetative and somewhat booring at times class.

What cars would they race? A Magna and a Camry/Avalon, they are front wheel drive, would they change that? Would they bring cars in from their international stable? They would have to with engines.

A long road ahead for something like this. I would welcome it if it was done properly, ie: not rushed. I think Toyota would have the most work cut out for them and it may turn out to be way to expensive for either manufacturer to bother.
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Fordforums Community > Latest Ford News and Racing News > Ford Racing Across the Globe