Join Date: May 2001
Location: Somewhere over the rainbow
New probe into Grand Prix death
From The Telegraph
THE Medical Practitioners' Board of Victoria has launched an official investigation into the death of a track marshal at last year's Formula One Grand Prix in Melbourne. Board spokeswoman Nicole Newton confirmed the board had decided to investigate the death of Graham Beveridge after reviewing a coroner's report on the incident.
"Having looked at the coroner's findings the board decided yes, there's grounds to investigate," she said.
The board will investigate the conduct of the doctors involved in the treatment of 52-year-old Mr Beveridge, who died at the Albert Park track during the race on March 4, 2001.
Mr Beveridge died of a ruptured heart when he was hit by a wheel which flew through a narrow access gap in the trackside safety barrier after a collision.
State coroner Graeme Johnstone last month expressed concern that a doctor had changed Mr Beveridge's record to show he died at The Alfred Hospital rather than at the track.
In his final report, Mr Johnstone also found two other doctors had failed to mention the trackside death in their report "because of some misconceived view of contractual/procedural arrangements".
The agreement between The Alfred and the Grand Prix Corporation to provide medical services was in compliance with the Confederation of Australian Motor Sport (CAMS) Medical Services Operations Manual 2001.
"Once Mr Beveridge was declared dead (at the trackside medical centre) there should have been no attempt to alter the record and the fact of death should have been recorded in both of the reports of the Alfred and CAMS," Mr Johnstone's report said.
The Alfred Hospital last month announced it had changed its protocols in order to allow a person to be declared dead at the trackside medical centre.
You know, somebody actually complimented me on my driving today. They left a little note on the windscreen. It said, 'Parking Fine.'So that was nice.