Nhra - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Fordforums Community > Latest Ford News and Racing News > Ford Racing Across the Globe
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-05-2003, 05:16   #1 (permalink)

Lightbulb Nhra

I know we enjoy our V8 s/cars, but does anyone follow the NHRA? and did they see the peice on the last round regarding how much power they are making in top fuel? I know to most people it looks boring but surely if they knew these thing are putting out 8000HP they would enjoy it.
SPALDING GREEN is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-05-2003, 06:30   #2 (permalink)
Falcontastic.

I used to follow the top fuel's when Robin Kirby was in it because my mate was in the team and to hang around these thing's is phenomanal make you deaf very quickly though,but yeah these thing's are great.
Laser a maser.
galaxy xr8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2003, 08:15   #3 (permalink)

ya mean these little things. Bob Sherry in his (ex J Read Winfield) "White Lightning" Top Fueler gets the holeshot on Rob Kirbys (ex Shirley Muldowney) "StreetFreak". Photo taken at Calder Park in the late 80's

8000 is the Average HP over the run not the peak HP, friends in the US say its more like 9500+ as a peak figure, it takes about 600 hp just to drive the Blower fer christ sakes
Attached Images
File Type: jpg tf mixed (3) (custom).jpg (40.7 KB, 120 views)
Old 06-05-2003, 18:24   #4 (permalink)
in theory,its theoretical

damn thats some old school pic. yeah i still follow the drags over here avidly. sure im a v8supercar ford fan through and through but somrthing that goes from 0 - 500kmh in 4.5 secs, gotta respect that. over here we are but a mere shadow of the yanks. we're doin good for 4.8 or 4.9, over there they run consistant 4.5.
josh.c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2003, 21:18   #5 (permalink)
Frantic Ford Fanatic

Just feeling your whole body pound when a top fueler launches (160 to 175 decibels) and seeing one go down the track takes the breath away if its not already been taken away by the fumes.
10 foot header flames coming out the pipes, engines going up in a ball of orange flame when something goes wrong and after the run everyone saying stupid things like "Did you see that???" with their jaws on the floor.....

you could say i'm an addict
roll on october when the new season starts

Old car = AU Futura, Galaxy blue, IRS, 16" mags, DBA Slotted rotors. Pity to see it go, very good, under- rated car, RIP
ricthewheelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2003, 22:24   #6 (permalink)
in theory,its theoretical

i take it then your not going to the winternationals up here in qld this weekend? tisk tisk, its gonna be good
josh.c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2003, 05:56   #7 (permalink)

My father use to take me to Castlereigh drag way when i was young. I remember going to the last meeting before it was closed down with my mates. I was only about 17 or 18 then. That was about 18 years ago. I can still remember how awesome they were. Does anyone know if the dedicated drag facility is being built next to Eastern Creek raceway and when it will be operational ? I read in auto action some time ago that it had the goverment go ahead.

BEST FALCON EVER
AU II SR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2003, 00:13   #8 (permalink)

i usually hav my eye on the mustangs running in the states.now theres some power.and billy glidden and his old man are legends,now they know how to get a ford moving
Old 06-07-2003, 00:36   #9 (permalink)
Movin!

The drags used to be excellent when i was younger, i used to go to Calder Park religiously to see the Top Fuellers and Funny Cars do there stuff. Romeo Capitanio, Peter Russo, Russell Simpson, Keith Agius and The Difilipo's were all good to watch.

I remember Russell Simpson spent close to $100,000 buidling a new funny car which was one of the best looking race cars i have ever seen, only to blow up on the 1st outing! Keith Agius done the same thing.

Was very good to watch and there were 100's of entrants which made each week never boring. The general demise in the upkeep of Calder Park and ridiculously rising entrance fee's made it all turn to shyte and it's never been the same
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Fordforums Community > Latest Ford News and Racing News > Ford Racing Across the Globe