NZ'ers may not see a v8supercar race again - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
» Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Fordforums Community > Latest Ford News and Racing News > Ford Racing Across the Globe
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-01-2004, 06:32   #1 (permalink)
Skaife doing the Haka

NZ'ers may not see a v8supercar race again

Hey NZ'ers,

Before I post this I would just like to say sucked in for whining about traffic and other inconvieniences at the Auckland street race. It might have cost you the chance at seeing V8 Supercars in NZ again. Tony C has the right to be annoyed and points out all the facts I have before in the posts about this race. Long live TC :)

---------------------------------------------
New Zealand stands to lose V8s forever
Release Date: 01/09/2004

New Zealand was risking its long-term chances of hosting a V8 Supercar Championship Series event after next year should a proposal to race in Auckland be vetoed, Australian Vee Eight Supercar Company (AVESCO) Chairman Tony Cochrane said today.

AVESCO has agreed to wait through a 90-day extension so that race promoter IMG, Transit New Zealand, the Auckland City Council and North Shore City Council can attempt to solve traffic issues that threaten to prevent the race from going ahead.

“If a solution is not found it could well be the end for New Zealand,” Mr Cochrane said.

“We have major cities around the world such as Singapore, Dubai and Cape Town crying out for us to come there and here’s Auckland, who have been gifted the race, almost saying thanks but we can’t get it together.

“Now. because we have agreed to this extension, it makes it difficult for any other bid to prepare in time for 2006. On top of this there is also a decision by Motorsport New Zealand not to allow two races in the same year that has foiled any hopes for a race at Manfeild.

“With Manfeild forced to shelve their plans there is nowhere else with the standard of facilities that our Championship requires. It just doesn’t make any sense.”

Mr Cochrane was alarmed by the prospect that the race may not proceed due to the resource management consent process.

“At first we were led to believe that this process would be quite straight forward,” Mr Cochrane said.

“And why shouldn’t it be? I don’t see Monaco, Vancouver, Montreal, Gold Coast or Long Beach having too many problems with traffic management when they host such events through the hearts of their cities.

“How a city like Auckland can not prepare itself for a three-day event such as this is ludicrous. Of course there are going to be traffic issues but only for one weekend of the year.

“We run a race through the middle of the Gold Coast and another through Adelaide. And the Australian Grand Prix runs just a few kilometres from the heart of Melbourne. They all seem to cope.”

Mr Cochrane said the loss would be New Zealand’s.

“We chose Auckland because we know how important our championship is to New Zealanders,” he said.

“Even at a venue like Pukekohe, which we have far outgrown, we see first hand what the New Zealand public want. That’s exactly why we want to race in Auckland – because the majority of New Zealanders want us to.”

Not only would Auckland lose the race but all of the associated benefits of having an internationally sanctioned and recognised event taking the city to the rest of the world.

“Auckland will be losing out on tens of millions of dollars in economic impact through global exposure, tourism, broadcast rights and ticket sales to what would be a phenomenal event,” Mr Cochrane said.

“I have seen an independent report released by Market Economics saying that the race will generate an extra $NZ48.5 million of added value per year for the regional economy.

“We have seen these benefits first hand in Australia through the three biggest sporting events we have – the Clipsal 500 in Adelaide, the Australian Grand Prix in Melbourne and the Gillette V8 Supercar Challenge on the Gold Coast.

“These are three massive events that attract crowds in excess of 240,000 people each and input more than $40 million into the economy. And they are all street races, just like Auckland should be.”
dayton is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-01-2004, 06:38   #2 (permalink)
Bring Back Jeff Kennet

Re: NZ'ers may not see a v8supercar race again

damn..gotta give it to TC his a hard arse. And thats a good thing.

I feel sorry for NZer's...I would be blockading the streets in protest! See if the traffic cops do ok, then if all is good then there is proof the race can be held there..lol

I dont really care to be honest, but its a shame. But im positive it will work out.

What is that mayor of Auckland thinking!! "Nah sorry you can keep all the added benefits that comes with the race, why do we want more money for local establishments and greater promotion for the city itself...your all crazy!"

Advertised as $4000ono. Price is negiotable for a quick sale.
FoMoCo4eva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2004, 06:59   #3 (permalink)
Skaife doing the Haka

Quote:
Originally Posted by FoMoCo4eva
What is that mayor of Auckland thinking!! "Nah sorry you can keep all the added benefits that comes with the race, why do we want more money for local establishments and greater promotion for the city itself...your all crazy!"
AGREED!!!! What a fool.

It sucks cause I really think the Auckland street race would be bloody brilliant.
dayton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2004, 07:00   #4 (permalink)
Circuit board dressups!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dayton
AGREED!!!! What a fool.

It sucks cause I really think the Auckland street race would be bloody brilliant.
Not as good as a wellington streetrace
Old 09-01-2004, 12:15   #5 (permalink)

Shit, I thought it was something important like TVNZ were stopping coverage.
Ambrose_1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2004, 12:54   #6 (permalink)
Australian Probe Member

Sounds like the same people were organising NZ's side of the joint Rugby World Cup bid.
Old 09-01-2004, 16:03   #7 (permalink)
Sandwich Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Back In Black
Not as good as a wellington streetrace
I've been to wellington for only 3 days before, but I agree, that place would be nuts!

I6, 5sp Factory Manual , Wade 1636, Pacemaker PH4480s, HF Cat, Cat-Back 2 1/2" Mandrel Bent Lukey Zorst, Car-puter, XR Front and AUII Clear Side Indicators.

Dull Alloy factory mags, ooo yeah.

Proud TQE Operator
donno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2004, 16:53   #8 (permalink)
At the 3FB Cheese Wheel

Sounds like Tony Cochrane is trying to be the next Bernie Eccelston.

He mentions that Singapore, Dubai and Cape Town are crying out for the races. If they are, why aren't we racing there? It's easy, except for some low numbered imports Australia doesn't sell cars there that's why. It would cost the V8 circus too much money to race there every year. Conchrane knows how important NZ is to the Australian car market and to the spectators.

Move it to Wellington, I've been there heaps of times, it would make a fantastic street race.
Old 09-01-2004, 18:40   #9 (permalink)
Bring Back Jeff Kennet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie XR6
Sounds like Tony Cochrane is trying to be the next Bernie Eccelston.

He mentions that Singapore, Dubai and Cape Town are crying out for the races. If they are, why aren't we racing there? It's easy, except for some low numbered imports Australia doesn't sell cars there that's why. It would cost the V8 circus too much money to race there every year. Conchrane knows how important NZ is to the Australian car market and to the spectators.

Move it to Wellington, I've been there heaps of times, it would make a fantastic street race.
This is true but I would suspect that TC would make sure that whatever city hosts it theyw ould flip the majority of the transport costs anyway.

Advertised as $4000ono. Price is negiotable for a quick sale.
FoMoCo4eva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2004, 18:45   #10 (permalink)
JR
Editor on P Plates

Sounds like Cochrane shooting from the lip again to try and heavy a local body that isn't kissing AVESCO's arse quickly enough for his liking.

Didn't he also tell everyone that the V8Supercars don't "need" Bathurst when the government was balking over the funding for that.

NZ is their second biggest market and there's no way they'd NOT hold a round there. Remember all the shit they ended up going through to get China to happen - Cochrane will back down here too if it comes to the pinch.
Editor: Street Fords Magazine - Issue #1 on sale MARCH 2005
E-mail: jr@streetfords.com

Co Founder: 3FB Inc.
To see my old BA Falcon XR6, click HERE
JR is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Fordforums Community > Latest Ford News and Racing News > Ford Racing Across the Globe