Ozemail car swap??? - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
¬Ľ Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Fordforums Community > Latest Ford News and Racing News > Ford Racing Across the Globe
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-07-2002, 20:34   #1 (permalink)
BOF

Ozemail car swap???

Taken from V8X.

This is very strange and I have reason to beleive it will not happen. Some people who I would think would know about this knew nothing until I mentioned it to them on the phone about 1 hour ago. And this person is really in the know about the two cars.

OzEmail Racing To Change Bathurst Arrangement

OzEmail Racing have today made their most controversial decision of the year by swapping their driving arrangements for next weekends Bob Jane T-Marts 1000 at Bathurst.
In a last minute assessment, team principal Brad Jones has announced that he and co-driver John Bowe will swap cars and pilot the black #888 OzEmail Falcon (campaigned by Bowe throughout the 2002 season) with John Cleland and Tim Leahey taking charge of the newer #21 Falcon.

"It may seem a strange decision but we think it will give us a more competitive two car option," said Jones.

"After testing earlier this week we feel that by putting John [Bowe] and myself in the older #888 car and John Cleland and Tim [Leahey] in the new car, we will maximise our chances of having two cars capable of excellent results. Which is obviously better for us and our sponsors," he added.

"John [Bowe] proved at the Queensland 500 that the #21 OzEmail Falcon is one of the fastest Fordís at the moment but letís not forget that the #888 car is the one that I finished second at Bathurst with last year and has proven itself around the ĎMountainí, Jones said further.

Jones believes that multiple-car V8 Supercar outfits should concentrate more on a team focus rather than putting all their energies into just one car - "We are a two car team and we should give both driver pairings the best possible chance to win the race, no matter where the drivers sit in the championship. Thatís why we have made some tough decisions."

"Itís simple, at OzEmail Racing, if one of our cars doesnít finish the race we want the second one to be right up there with the leaders," Jones concluded.

For multiple Bathurst champ John Bowe, the decision is the right one Ė "V8 Supercar racing these days is far more complex than itís ever been before. Bathurst is not only the race that every driver and team wants to win but itís commercially the biggest race of the year as well."

"Itís important for all concerned that you optimise every opportunity and I totally agree with giving both cars every chance," Bowe concluded.

The changes have forced the OzEmail Racing Team to conduct an unscheduled test session at Winton Raceway on Monday with all drivers to use the day to familiarise themselves with their new cars.
BOF is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-07-2002, 22:34   #2 (permalink)
Mr. Embargo

An interesting strategy there, I hope it pays off for them and both cars are at the top of the pack.
Old 10-08-2002, 02:21   #3 (permalink)
plonky

The car change is happening. I spoke with one of the drivers on Sunday night before the Winton test and again this afternoon when he returned. The reasons are as stated by Brad and my info source is very happy!
Old 10-08-2002, 05:56   #4 (permalink)
BOF

Well you must have better sources than me as I spoke to my Bro who is a full time mechanic on car 888 and he didnt know anything about the car swap and he rang a few other team members (4.00pm Tuesday afternoon) and they didnt know anything about the swap either.
BOF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2002, 07:02   #5 (permalink)
goooone

Brad says on the website that after testing they have changed their minds again & that Bowe & him will drive 21 the white car
Mr Jucy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2002, 19:58   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Heading to Bathurst this weekend for Brad Jones and John Bowe, the drivers of the #21 OzEmail Falcon
That's from their latest press release. So yeah, they have changed their minds.... Strange team :p
JamesM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2002, 20:04   #7 (permalink)
Crikey

Strange JamesM or just thinking through all their options out loud.

I hope they do well.
Blurter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2002, 20:56   #8 (permalink)
plonky

My source is A grade. One of the drivers is my best friend.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Fordforums Community > Latest Ford News and Racing News > Ford Racing Across the Globe