Ford Forums banner

Penske leaves CART !

1K views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  DRU842 
#1 ·
Roger Penske and CART champion Gil de Ferran will be in Las Vegas on Tuesday night to collect their $1 million for successfully defending their FedEx Championship, but Penske will then bid adieu to the series he helped start in 1979.

It looks like Roger Penske is leaving CART for the IRL and will take Gil de Ferran with him.
Penske is expected to have a press conference in Indianapolis next week to announce he's taking 2001 Indy winner Helio Castroneves and de Ferran to the rival IRL in 2002. It was thought the nine-time CART champions might leave de Ferran in CART to try for a third straight title but evidently that won't be happening.

"Roger told me he was out of CART, period," said Morris Nunn, who campaigned a two-car CART effort in 2001 and will be running one car in CART and one car in the IRL during 2002.

Asked if he wanted to leave CART's diversity for an all-oval series, de Ferran responded: "I don't know what is going to happen but, naturally, I would miss road racing because that's what I grew up with.

"But my allegiance is to Team Penske. My greatest ally is this team and I don't take that lightly."

Both de Ferran and Castroneves have one year remaining on their current contract.

See less See more
#2 ·
I can't believe this, to me the IRL series looks like a poor version of CART that only races on ovals. Penske will dominate that series.

Oval races are very fast and include alot of passing but ultimately a whole season of oval races to me would be very boring.

#3 ·
Weren't they planning on merging the two series in the next few years?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.