Pizzonia Out! - Wilson in! - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
» Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Fordforums Community > Latest Ford News and Racing News > Ford Racing Across the Globe
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-21-2003, 09:11   #1 (permalink)
BAII XR6T Driver!

Thumbs up Pizzonia Out! - Wilson in!

It's now official. Antonio Pizzonia is out of Jaguar and Justin Wilson is to replace him. Effective immediately.

Quote:
JAGUAR RACING have announced that Justin Wilson will replace Antonio Pizzonia with immediate effect. Giant Wilson will contest his first Grand Prix for Jaguar in a fortnight's time at Hockenheim.

"To the great regret of Jaguar Racing, Antonio Pizzonia has not been able to realise his potential with the team over the past eleven races," the team said in a statement. "Jaguar Racing therefore has decided that it is neither in his best interests, nor in the team’s, for Antonio to continue to driving as full time race driver at this time. In an effort to continue supporting Antonio’s development, however, Jaguar Racing has offered him the opportunity to remain with the team as reserve and test driver."

An agreement has been reached with Minardi F1 to allow Justin Wilson to complete the 2003 season with Jaguar Racing. This is an agreement for the remainder of the 2003 season only, with options for future years that provide Jaguar Racing with additional choices for 2004.

David Pitchforth, Managing Director, Jaguar Racing said: "We are delighted to have Justin join us for the remainder of the 2003 season in what is a richly deserved opportunity. In the Jaguar R4, we clearly have a competitive car and one that has helped Mark Webber secure twelve points thereby taking the team to 6th place in the Constructor’s Championship. With five races left on the calendar, it is critical that we are maximising our potential with two race cars."
SOURCE: http://f1racing.net/news.php?ID=60365

It's a shame for Pizzonia as I was expecting him to be a good solid driver and one that would have kept Webber honest. It will be interesting to see how Wilson goes in the Jag. Expect them (Webber and Wilson) to be quite close, especially since Justin Wilson was the person that beat Mark Webber in Formula 3000

Last edited by XR6VCT; 07-21-2003 at 09:15.
XR6VCT is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-21-2003, 15:12   #2 (permalink)

Re: Pizzonia Out! - Wilson in!

So is Pizzonia in Minardi?
Ambrose_1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2003, 15:54   #3 (permalink)
Resident geek freak

i thinnk pizza will just be test driver for jag, non racing, Stoddy willl have someone else? maybe a buy-a-driver?
jemmex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2003, 18:30   #4 (permalink)
walking power

This will put more pressure on Webber to perform too(not saying he hasnt performed) since him and Wilson were rivals in F3000.
Old 07-23-2003, 01:35   #5 (permalink)
Idiot User

I think they should hav gone with Verstappen coz his is more reliable and in my opinion he is betta than wilson
dodger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2003, 04:27   #6 (permalink)

biggrin Re: Pizzonia Out! - Wilson in!

I feel sorry Pizzonia
, i thought he was finding his feet slowly, but then again they want results in Formula1 . So i hope he finds another team next year and shows he has more talent than we have seen thus far
fpr man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2003, 07:04   #7 (permalink)

Auto Express
Pizzonia shocked by Jaguar decision (F1)
by Nikki Reynolds

Antonio Pizzonia has admitted he is shocked by Jaguar's decision to replace him with Justin Wilson for the rest of the 2003 season. Jaguar made the announcement on Monday that Pizzonia had not fulfilled his potential and it was in the team's best interest to replace him. Former Minardi driver Wilson will take over from the German Grand Prix, the next race at the beginning of August.

"The sudden decision by Jaguar Racing not to let me continue as a full-time Formula One driver for the team came as a complete shock to me," Pizzonia said in a statement. "As the season has progressed my performances have improved."

Jaguar offered Pizzonia a testing role but he has turned it down: "As has been widely reported, Jaguar has offered me a reserve driver and testing role but I have declined this," he said. "I now have to reflect on what has happened and decide which is the best course of action for me to take. However, I fully intend to pursue my career in Formula One."

The 22 year old was signed to Jaguar by then-boss Niki Lauda, having previously been Williams test driver in 2002. By the Spanish GP this year his future was already in doubt and Jaguar tried to replace him with McLaren test driver Alex Wurz. The deal fell through but Pizzonia had been on uncertain ground ever since.

What the future will bring for Pizzonia is yet to be seen but for the moment he declines to comment further. F3000 driver Nicolas Kiesa has filled Wilson's place at Minardi.

My next Ford.....
Stacy94PGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Fordforums Community > Latest Ford News and Racing News > Ford Racing Across the Globe