Ford Forums banner

Ralf Schumacher to drive for renault

2K views 16 replies 16 participants last post by  fordfan351 
#1 ·
Ralf Schumacher is to leave the Williams-BMW Formula One team and sign for Renault for next season, according to his manager.

Willi Weber told Tuesday's edition of Bild newspaper that he and the younger brother of six-time world champion Michael had agreed all the details with Renault supremo Flavio Briatore.

"We have agreed every point of the contract with Briatore," said Weber. "The signing of the contract is a mere formality."

Ralf, 28, has been unhappy at Williams for a while and even with the impending departure of Colombian team-mate Juan-Pablo Montoya at the end of the season for McLaren - and the expiry of his own contract - he is keen to leave.

Schumacher, winner of six races in 116 Grands Prix, had launched a broadside at the team's boss Frank Williams at the end of February over his ongoing contract negotiations.

"Even if me and my manager Willi Weber would find it hard to leave behind our friends at BMW, there's a chance it could happen. It would be sad but I can't allow myself to be treated like that by Williams," said Schumacher who finished fourth in the season opening Australian Grand Prix on Sunday.

"I'm not frustrated. But I find it hard to understand certain things that have happened these past few months." Schumacher claimed that Williams accused him of only being interested in money. "Frank Williams says I'm nothing but a money-grabber. I can only laugh at that. He knows that I would accept to cut my current salary in half," added Schumacher, who finished fourth in the drivers championship last season.

- F1-live.com

This could well clear the path for webber to get a drive with williams now :)

See less See more
#7 ·
I was under the impression that Button would get the drive over Webber, at Williams-BMW next season, but if Ralf goes hopefully it would be Button and Webber.
I think that would be a good combination and maybe one who can finally take it to Ferrari as far as drivers go, it just all depends on the equipment that there given.

#8 ·
I reckon that Webber is definitly in now.
With montoya and now Ralf out, now Bee em have to find two new drivers.

#15 ·
Flavio Briatore from Renault F1 has denied he has had any discusions with Willi Weber regarding Ralph joining them so who knows I just hope Mark gets a good drive next year & I' love to see him get a good co-driver too to stop the talk that he is made to look good by being teamed with no hopers.

#17 ·
I don't think this is confirmed yet or anything, interesting though. I fail to see the intelligence in signing Ralf , I mean they are a good team with a car good enough to challenge Williams and Mac and somedays even Ferrari but they tend to be coming from behind rather than leading from the front.
Ralf has proven he is brilliant when leading but fairly inadequete in the overtaking and wheel to wheel stakes, so it seems a strange move if you ask me.

Wouldn't be surprised if it is a ploy to drive up his value to get a quick signing on his unstable Williams deal or with another team.

Also Renault have Trulli, who is under contract with Flavio Briator as his manager and Alonso who is also under Flavio's wing, can't see this move happening, stay tuned there's more to this one I reckon

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.