Ford Forums banner

Sauber sign Fisichella for 2004

776 views 0 replies 1 participant last post by  FPRXR-6 
#1 ·
Sauber Petronas have signed Giancarlo Fisichella as a new driver from the 2004 season onwards. The 30-year-old Italian has entered into a two-year contract with the Swiss team.

"I've been watching Giancarlo's career for years and consider him one of the best drivers in Formula One," said Sauber team boss Peter Sauber. "He's not only quick but a strong fighter as well, who never gives up and makes the best of any situation. We've been in contact with Giancarlo before, and I'm very happy that, now, we've been able to sign him for our team."

Giancarlo Fisichella, too, is optimistic about his future: "In mid-August, I met with Peter Sauber and Technical Director Willy Rampf in Hinwil and immediately had a positive feeling," said the Italian. "The new wind tunnel, in particular, highly impressed me. It proves that the team has a lot of potential and the will to be successful. I'm looking forward to my new challenge."

Giancarlo Fisichella entered Formula One in 1996 and has since participated in 119 Grand Prix races. In April of this year he won the Brazilian Grand Prix in Interlagos.

He was reported to be in talks with Jaguar Racing too, but it seems that the Ford-owned team is in no rush to sign a partner for Webber and Fisichella has taken the offer already open from Sauber.

See less See more
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.