Should Ford Quit? - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
» Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Fordforums Community > Latest Ford News and Racing News > Ford Racing Across the Globe
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-29-2002, 22:27   #1 (permalink)
X-TRAIL 4X4

Should Ford Quit?

Why don't FORD just leave motorsport or are they proud of their record losing to Holden week in week out.

And no i don't belive being in motorsport helps FORD's sales, because no one would buy a car that loses on the track every race weekend.

Ford would probaly sell more cars if they quit motorsport and spent the cash building superior road cars to Holden.

They quit before would they do it again?

-- Webber + Williams = 2005 Champs --
Stealth00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-29-2002, 22:35   #2 (permalink)
Rail Rider

Ford already build superior road car to Holdens. :)

All is I can say is just try to forget this year.
Old 06-29-2002, 23:24   #3 (permalink)
Veteran Ford Member

Re: Should Ford Quit?

Quote:
Originally posted by Stealth00
Why don't FORD just leave motorsport or are they proud of their record losing to Holden week in week out.

And no i don't belive being in motorsport helps FORD's sales, because no one would buy a car that loses on the track every race weekend.

Ford would probaly sell more cars if they quit motorsport and spent the cash building superior road cars to Holden.

They quit before would they do it again?
Let us just take these points one at a time shall we??

1. There may not be much pride to be had in losing .. but there is a certain amount of pride to be had from "having a go" - an Australian tradition that thankfully hasn't yet died. This attribute means that regardless of the odds or how futile it may seem an Aussie will keep trying regardless. That is an attribute that I endorse whole heartedly and exactly the reason FORD shouldn't (and probably won't) quit.
If we follow this logic to it's natural conclusion then we simply become a nation of quitters. Do you think Michaelangelo would have been happy with a couple of coats of Duck Egg Blue on the roof of the Cistine Chapel ? Would've been a whole heap easier. Or should Burke and Wills just stopped at the first roadside tent and figured the rest was too hard? Might have helped them live longer but would have left large parts of Australia unexplored.

2. Motorsport probably isn't directly helping sales at the moment but the sales statistics have shown that the small successes have generated extra showroom traffic for the performance range.

3. I think (as already pointed out) that Ford already do build the better road cars. The major problem facing Ford in the market place is one of image - not the reality.

4. Finally on the point of having quit before. This is undoubtedly where a lot of the image problem has come from. It simply left the performance vehicle market wide open for HSV and Holden and they cheerfully filled the gap even if some of the product was mediocre at best. It is unlikely IMO that this mistake will be repeated.

None of us are happy about losing but I am sure we all know that the teams are applying every ounce of engineering and driving talent available to them in an effort to bridge the gap. That is what being loyal to your supporters is about .. they deserve no less from us.
russellw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2002, 23:29   #4 (permalink)
FM
The SparkleHunter™

Quote:
Originally posted by russellw
That is what being loyal to your supporters is about .. they deserve no less from us.
Apart from the most classy use of an example I've seen in my time here, this sentence sums it all up for me. Well said Russ.
FordForums Polo Shirts & Caps are now on sale.. Get both for $50.00 + postage. Click here for details!
FM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2002, 23:31   #5 (permalink)
***** Idiot....

GO HOLDEN! and HRT!

Had to do it
LunaticSVT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2002, 01:27   #6 (permalink)

Gees John,
We sent you to the states to get rid of you, and you can still give us the shits.. ha ha.

Steve
Old 06-30-2002, 01:28   #7 (permalink)
RACE

There is no reason for Ford to quite motorsport. Remember what happened when they did that last time? That's on top of dropping the V8. Winning takes time and a big, consistant effort. Teams like SBR are the ones to look out for. Although Ambrose had a bad weekend, Besnard had a great one.

Keep the faith. Our time will come.
Old 06-30-2002, 02:35   #8 (permalink)
Dreamer

If Stealth00 had a look at what holden use in there winning racecars, he/she would notice that those parts are taken from the ford, in regards to rear suspension, differential and god knows what else.

I cannot say this enough tho, a RACE CAR is not a road car, the V8Supercar does not share anything, apart from shell from the road road going vehicle. Win on sunday, sell on monday no longer exists in this world. That was in the good ole days when the HO's and GTS's and E49's and XU1's were homoligated so that they were allowed to be used on the track. The road going variant was identical to that of the race one. Hence why the slogan win on sunday, sell on monday came about.

We can be happy if ford wins, but im not going to loose any sleep over the sales figures the day after if we loose. Who knows anyone, ford or holden fan, that went out after bathursts or another reason in the past few years and bought a performance vehicle, just because that company won at the race track?

Fords doing really well for themselves of late, you can even see that its close to 50/50 ford/holden on the track now. Whereas this time last year there was a heck of a lot more holdens driving around the track.

Ford keep it up, and we'll be in front on the track in no time.

As for on the road, well just wait till the end of the year, when both 'barra' and VY is released, and we'll see who has the better vehicle, from base model, to performance. A war is brewing between tickford and HSV, and i peronsally believe HSV is going to be crushed in a few months.

my 2c
South is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2002, 03:24   #9 (permalink)
The Third Power

Quote:
Originally posted by South
If Stealth00 had a look at what holden use in there winning racecars, he/she would notice that those parts are taken from the ford, in regards to rear suspension, differential and god knows what else.

if thats the case then why isnt ford winning then :hrm:

HSV crushed maybe a little dented which should make for only better HSV product

But live your dream
strife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2002, 04:23   #10 (permalink)
X-TRAIL 4X4

What is the purpose of Ford staying in motorsport if they are not winning?

If we can belive Jeff grench and 00 motorsport is wasting money on coffee machines.

AND

If we belive Brad Jones that his team has 4 times less a budget than HRT ( And many more Ford teams would fall into that category)

Then it looks like Ford will not be winning anything rather soon.

And I have no reason to disbelive these people.

-- Webber + Williams = 2005 Champs --
Stealth00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Fordforums Community > Latest Ford News and Racing News > Ford Racing Across the Globe