Ford Forums banner

What sort of drivers should ford or ford teams be signing?

• Young, fresh and agressive drivers

Votes: 11 61.1%
  • Older, more experienced and consistent drivers

Votes: 1 5.6%
  • International drivers who have been successful in other competition

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Ford needs Shuey to win and thats that

Votes: 6 33.3%

signing new drivers for ford

2K views 10 replies 10 participants last post by  aurora 
#1 ·
Over the past few years V8 supercar has become a lot like F1 as far as driver silly seasons and the signing of international talent is concerned.

Should ford or ford teams be signing 'older' drivers like Ingall (frustrated, but experienced), or sticking with young guns like Ambrose & Lowndes (nearly or at peak with long time left)? Or should there be more internationals like Wilson imported (good overseas, but can they cut it in OZ)?

Just thought id poll everyones opinions.

#2 ·
I voted for neither as I think a combination of the two is important. Skaife isn't exactly young and there's still Tander and co. to back him up. I think Ford is doing the right thing with signing the likes of Lowndes and Ingall and hopefully Ford will also hold on to the likes of Ambrose and Seton to provide a good mix of talent.
Right now even though Holden are still doing well on the track, they are in decline as they do not dominate as often as they used to. I now watch the races with more optimism and greater expectation.

#3 ·
I agree with RATT, a combination of young and experienced. Some of the younger drivers go a bit too gung ho and end up trashing the cars but then on the other hand maybe some of the older drivers aren't as hungry for the win and perhaps their reflexes etc are a tad slower than the other younger guys.

I'm not sure about the international guys, Max Wilson for example can put in quick times but loses on consistency and stupid errors.

I think drivers should do like an "apprenticeship" first. Start off in Go-karts, progress through to Formula Ford/Holden and then maybe if they are good enough the Konica V8s. Run them a couple of years in that and if they are say within the say Top 5 of the field let them step up to Level 1 V8s.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.