If Toyota enter V8's will it spoil the series

• yes

Votes: 20 69.0%
  • no

Votes: 9 31.0%

Toyota poll

6K views 53 replies 21 participants last post by  puts99 
#1 ·
If Toyota enters V8's will it be good for the sport???

Yes

No

#2 ·
If Toymotor join I'll be filthy. I sure as hell don't give a rats arse about them. It's Ford or Holden when it comes to V8 Supercar Racing.

#3 ·
Yeah, but then you probably wouldn't want Holden in the series if it were only a Ford. It's the COMPETITION that makes the series what it is, not any one dominant manufacturer.

This is the year 2001. Toyota were the top selling manufacturer in 2000 - even if they did include Daihatsu and Lexus. Holden were the same by including Saab and Isuzu. If Ford had included Volvo, Range Rover and Mazda things might be different........but I digress.

Which means there are a LOT of Australians that drive a Toyota and would love to see them join the series fair and square, even if their claims of total sales volume were not fair and square. It would mean more spectators, more interest, more advertising, bigger races, more exposure. Albeit it might mean more expensive racing, but I'd bet my left Testicle that AVESCO would have something to say about that.

Come on, how can it be bad? You mean Ford would have a different type of car to race against?

Isn't that the same as Holden teams claiming they couldn't keep up with HRT, and would rather not have to race a competitve Ford, and thus kept a parity advantage for over 2 years?

My vote was for letting Toyota in. And it always will be. And Mitsubishi for that matter. But that's where the buck stops.

HOWEVER, I think Toyota should be forced to release a V8 to the public as a condition of entry. Same for any manufacturer. They need to have a locally assembled production V8 to get in.

Lukeyson

#4 ·
I vote that it will ruin the series because it plays around with our folklore.... sure there was a time when other cars raced, and won at Mt Panorama but the focus has always been on the Holden Vs Ford rivalry, it's only going to mess around with this by allowing Toyota into the Heart and soul of Australian racing that is Ford Vs Holden Supercars.

#6 ·
DONUT KING said:
I vote that it will ruin the series because it plays around with our folklore.... sure there was a time when other cars raced, and won at Mt Panorama but the focus has always been on the Holden Vs Ford rivalry, it's only going to mess around with this by allowing Toyota into the Heart and soul of Australian racing that is Ford Vs Holden Supercars.
Thats exactly what I think.
The Ford vs. Holden war has been going on for a very long time, it would wreck an Australian heritage if toyota were to be brought into it.
We all know that both Ford and Holden(GM) are American based companies but we dont think of them that way, we think of them as Australian companies, so to bring in an outsider/international entrant, would be just wrong.
I seriusly hope that it doesn't happen and I hope that everything posible is done to see that it doen't happen.

I'll start a pickett line if I have to.

Paul

#7 ·
...with Toyota 'keen' to lift the profile of its Avalon V8 car in Australia
Last time I checked Toyota didn't have a V8 in this country. Let alone a RWD V8 sedan. :fmad:
...sources close to Toyota "would have little difficulty buying their way into the franchised sport...
If this happens then I'm calling shenanigans. Dollars can't buy you into this series. It will prove what AVESCO is all about if this were to happen. Dollars buys HRT their success (on & off track, ie. stewards hearings) so it'd really wouldn't be that much of a surprise to see this eventuate.
There's more to racing in this country than a chequebook Mr Cochraine. It's about time you started to realise this. :fmad:

#10 ·
I can see it now...children all over Australia with posters of Toyota Avalon's on their wall, idolising their wild and aggressive styling...'oh what a' joke!!

The Avalon is for a particular individual, one who has taken the big step by trading in their beloved Toyota Corona or Nissan Cedric. They are the sort of person who thought that motorsport was banned in the 70's, after those environmentally damaging cars nearly killed planet Earth.

So leave these people out of something they don't know exists, because if they find out, get ready for tea and coffee only on top of Mt Panorama.

Ok, maybe a little extreme...and stupid.

#11 ·
I wouldn't be worried by toyota in the races as long as there is one available to the public and they met all the same criteria.Some one posted some rules and it said 2 vavle pushrod V8. What if we get our quad cam ohc V8.It means the windsor will still have to run. I also doubt Toyota would even have such a thing or dream of making one.

#12 ·
WE DO NOT NEED TOYOTA IN THE V8SUPERCAR SERIES

It was just be stupid, if the current drivers are annoyed with the back markers now, imagine with the crudbucket toyotas!
And what car would they stick in????? AN AVALON??!!
Stupid choice if you ask me.:thumbdown :thumbdown :thumbdown :thumbdown :thumbdown :thumbdown :thumbdown :thumbdown

#18 ·
Why doesn't Toyota start with GTP and then think about V8 Supercars??.. C'mon Mr Marsden.. stop this crap before it goes too far..

#20 ·
Luke Plaizier said:
It's the COMPETITION that makes the series what it is, not any one dominant manufacturer.....

.........HOWEVER, I think Toyota should be forced to release a V8 to the public as a condition of entry. Same for any manufacturer. They need to have a locally assembled production V8 to get in.

Lukeyson
I agree with Luke & BBF. If Toyota had a RWD sedan with a V8 that was to be sold in this country, I couldn't see a prob with it. But only under that scenario, not racing some mungrelised Avalon.
And as BBF said I can't see Toyota doing this.
Having a variety of makes doesn't harm the racing, it would enhance it I reckon. Just like GTP. (But with cars would be configured to be as even as possible on the track.)
Hell, all they are when it comes down to it are body shells.
Russell.

#21 ·
Rastus said:

I agree with Luke & BBF. If Toyota had a RWD sedan with a V8 that was to be sold in this country, I couldn't see a prob with it. But only under that scenario, not racing some mungrelised Avalon.
And as BBF said I can't see Toyota doing this.
Having a variety of makes doesn't harm the racing, it would enhance it I reckon. Just like GTP. (But with cars would be configured to be as even as possible on the track.)
Hell, all they are when it comes down to it are body shells.
Russell.
Hit the nail right on the head here mate. :thumbup: More makes in the competition leads to more competitiveness, and generally more interesting racing. The GTP series is fantastic, and strictly car-wise, it's far more interesting to see the variety of different models all battling it out on the same piece of tar. Along these lines, this is why I find the Porsche cup quite tedious even though it's not really one model racing. The Porsche is a lovely weapon of a vehicle, but just lump a grid of em together and race them and it makes me yawn.

I really don't think that the introduction of Toymotor or MrSh!tti into the equation will dilute the Ford/Holden tribalism. It will just bring other fans into the arena, and make for new and interesting fan battles rather than the same old same old.

The thing though that really makes me want to see these newcomers in the series though is what they would come up with to race!! Not to mention what would happen to the rules!!

Ah well, I guess my feet have always been itchy... :cool:

#22 ·
Ford Man said:

You know what I mean.. ;)
Ah no I don't, other wise I wouldn't have posted!

You can't buy a Holden now with a five litre V8 anymore. Next year Ford will be in the same situation. I agree with the statement about GTP, but there is nothing stopping Toyota from pushing the Lexus brand on the track. Toyota do have a V8 for sale in this country. When you consider what motor sport is, that is probably good enough. There are plans to introduce the V8 into the GS and IS models. If you can have all manufacturers with the same engine rules then I am all for it but I don't like the idea of making concessions to allow it to happen

#23 ·
Guys,

I don't want Toyota in the V8 supercars, for starters they violate on golden rule, rear drive V8. Now unless Toyota build a 5.0L pushrod 8 rear drive sedan then i'm all against them entering in.

The Ford Vs Holden culture has been with us for yonks.
Remember this...
From nee height and grass hoppers your either a ford man or a holden man you found your self defending your fathers on in the school yard and gettin the s*** beaten outta ya.

#25 ·
EF_Falcon_GuY said:
Guys,

I don't want Toyota in the V8 supercars, for starters they violate on golden rule, rear drive V8. Now unless Toyota build a 5.0L pushrod 8 rear drive sedan then i'm all against them entering in.

The Ford Vs Holden culture has been with us for yonks.
Remember this...
From nee height and grass hoppers your either a ford man or a holden man you found your self defending your fathers on in the school yard and gettin the s*** beaten outta ya.
Well why should Holden be allowed to race when they too DON'T build a 5 litre pushrod V8?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.