V8 supertaxis - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
» Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Fordforums Community > Latest Ford News and Racing News > Ford Racing Across the Globe
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-07-2003, 23:19   #1 (permalink)
Dc_todd

Red face V8 supertaxis

are the V8 supercars loosing touch with the original idea of v8 racing,
Ulitimatly we have something that is neither holden or ford origin, powered by a powerplant that neither manufacturer still produces, essentially nascar blocks.
end of the day these race cars are so far removed from what is on the road and avalible in the showrooms. these cars do not carry the factory wheelbase, are a collaboration of both manufacturers..

but on the otherside of the coin, it is the penultimate race league in the country, every other county, at its top level of racing, is made up of cars that would have a 20km/20 min warranty driven on normal roads.. take it for what it is, big v8 going quick and doing what is loved.. just a shame to see the production car raped so badly in the aid of advertising.

there is no holden or ford left other than the heart, and you need to question why a 5.0 litre is still running. official comments have been things like to keep running costs down and the like.. bugger running costs have you seen the bill to create and maintain a team not even a front running team, sell the house, wife and kids and then some..

let me know what you think.

befiend or abuse me either way give me some feed back...

cheers
dc_todd is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-07-2003, 23:51   #2 (permalink)
Just give me an excuse...

Re: V8 supertaxis

I have been watching the ATCC and the V8SCC for a long time. I really don't care how much of the XR8 or SS is represented in the cars. As long as I can see the difference (yes thats an XR8, or now it actually looks like a GT). Ok yes so they use the OHV 5.0litre engine still. Well why not try and keep the costs down. It makes it easier for newer smaller teams to join in the racing. We don't want an F1 on our hands do we (9 teams???). But anyway if the V8's end up like F1 (too much technology) then I won't watch it anymore. F1 has been ruined, it is supposed ot be the pinnacle of motorsport pffft the drivers don't even change gears, they have software to launch the cars. Sorry but I enjoy the V8's, real driving.
Old 07-08-2003, 00:27   #3 (permalink)
RACE

I don't see a problem in the category as it is now. If we have near stock showroom cars then some may say they are too slow or not exciting enough compared to other categories such as Nascar etc. We're onto a good thing and I am quite happy too support it as is.
Old 07-08-2003, 03:14   #4 (permalink)
A shit load of Dim Sims

They will never change the motors in the race cars to match the production cars. It's taken them this long to get parity with the 5 litre motors, could you imagine how long it would take them to get parity between a 5.4 litre DOHC 32V motor and a 5.7 litre single cam 16V motor?

I agree with RATT here, we are onto a good thing, this series is so popular it made the Super Tourers extinct (remember the organisers called V8 supercars "dinosaurs" and Super Tourers were the future of car racing in Australia), and two other racing categories have started up in other countries based on V8 Supercars (DTM, and now the Poms).
skip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2003, 03:22   #5 (permalink)
Smashed Gecko Racing

If it aint broke dont fix it!!!

Old 07-08-2003, 08:02   #6 (permalink)

Brutes

Just a thought, but when i was watching the brutes, i got the impression that these where stock cars, considering that they use factory rims and all?
screamerj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2003, 17:20   #7 (permalink)
Dc_todd

as far as I know the brutes are pretty much stock. but then almost all the top procar catagories are ie. GTP and brutes with the exception of nations cup.
dc_todd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2003, 18:55   #8 (permalink)

brutes are great to watch :)
but so are the V8SC's, i'm happy with where its at now.
much more entertaining.
1995 EF II Falcon GLi: Heritage Green, 4spd Auto, AUII 17" Rims, Custom BA Front Bar, Lowered, Gas Research LPG, Clear Indicators, JVC MP3 Headunit, Phoenix Gold 6.5" Splits, Coustic 481QE Amp, Clarion 12" sub, Leather Seats, Power Window Conversion, 3.45 LSD, Pacemaker Comp Extractors, 2.5" Exhaust, Mandrel Bent Intake, High Flow Filter, Wade 1004 110 cam.

In Progress: BA XR Side Skirts, BA XR Rear bar, BA Shifter Handle.

Want your EF on effalcon.com? Drop me a PM!
E-Series Club Stickers Here!

E-Series Moderator/Membership Officer/Webmaster/Cruise Official
EFFalcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2003, 19:01   #9 (permalink)
JR
Editor on P Plates

The problem with any racing formula is parity versus purity.

The whole point of V8Supercars is to have close Holden Vs Ford racing, where the cars are so colse the best drivers come to the fore.

It's certainly not perfect. The domination of the Commodore during the AU years shows there can never be unbiased judging while the TEGA board is split evenly between Ford/Holden team owners and not totally independant, and the standards of CAMS officials reflects their totally amatuer status, but as a spectacle it's quite good.

Procar also has it's good and bad points, but their so-called 'parity' system makes a mockery of any attempts to call Nations Cup production based - it's so far removed from 'production' now that to keep calling it that would have been ludicrous.

You should remember that at least to some degree, both the German and British TCC's are using our V8Supercar model for their own purposes now, with Group A finally going the way of the dodo - again in the name of parity and close racing.

Many of the complaints about V8Supercar racing - even from Holden fans - have to do with the mind numbing domination of the HRT. This year, with Ambrose and SBR finally able to tak the fight to the Holden boys on a regular basis, we have a championship that is worth watching, and like it or not, the fact is that Bright's consistency during the season has him still in the lead and the championship race will probably end up going down to the wire.

Though I'm not a fan of this (or the previous) points system, AVESCO must be pleased both with the Ford resurgence and the fact that Skaife hasn't tied up the title with 6 rounds still to go.

All in all, I think we've got it pretty good here in Oz with our racing.

Cheers
Jason
Editor: Street Fords Magazine - Issue #1 on sale MARCH 2005
E-mail: jr@streetfords.com

Co Founder: 3FB Inc.
To see my old BA Falcon XR6, click HERE
JR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2003, 19:16   #10 (permalink)
AKA: Spaniard

The way I see it is if Ford and Holden make they're own engines to their specifications then they should be able to put whatever engine they so wish. It's they're car afterall. I mean, to make things "equal" is one thing but they aren't equal because they have their unique differences whether it be engine, design, interior, etc. If they want to make things equal then why not make Fordens and race them? That will be equal, not making rules to put the same engine in each and every car.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Fordforums Community > Latest Ford News and Racing News > Ford Racing Across the Globe