Why do Holden dominate racing in AUS? - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
» Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Fordforums Community > Latest Ford News and Racing News > Ford Racing Across the Globe
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-12-2002, 16:35   #1 (permalink)
Ford Member

Why do Holden dominate racing in AUS?

I only recently started taking interest in Aussie car racing. However it seems as though Holden win the majority of the races. Am I suppose to believe their cars are better or we have less experienced drivers?
AUboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-12-2002, 16:38   #2 (permalink)
Blue Blooded Ford Man

Majority, now there's an understatement.

But, if you take HRT out of the picture, it would be alot more even.

They are just to good.
Old 06-12-2002, 16:49   #3 (permalink)
MadMax

For 2 reasons;

$$$$$ & Politic$...........
Old 06-12-2002, 17:04   #4 (permalink)
Territory TS - AWD

HRT are VERY professional and VERY well financed.

Add to this head start the fact that they are benefitting from years of racing/testing with basically the same package means that they are "on-the-money" from the word go. With restricted testing periods introduced in recent years it is making it very difficult for any other teams to catch them.

The AU Aero/Chassis package was a big departure from the EF/EL racers that came before them and has taken longer than anyone cares to admit to get right.
Old 06-12-2002, 17:15   #5 (permalink)
Copyright �2003

Quote:
Originally posted by Ken Oath
Majority, now there's an understatement.

But, if you take HRT out of the picture, it would be alot more even.

They are just to good.
For now.

This probably should be in "The Pits" but I'll put my 5 cents in.

HRT are doing very very well because they have developed a great package over the last 5-6 years. This includes having/had some great drivers who excel at giving relevant feedback for setups. Also excellent engineers both here and abroad to develop there cars further.

If you have a look at the Ford teams you will see that there really is no one team that has the combination of the above. There are a coulpe of Ford teams that are getting close (ie Stone Brothers and 00 Motorsport) but even these guys are missing the extra support (ie a TWR type backup) for developing their current and future cars.

For mine, unless one team (like the above 2) gets additional support from professional racing engineers, ie Prodrive, who have the testing facilities and a hugh database on race development, then the Ford teams will continue as they are now.

As for us blaming Ford, I disagree. Ford now puts in a lot of mulah to the V8 Supercars, the only missing link now is the teams themselves going the next step. Unfortunately, development takes time and I can't see a Ford team challenging HRT consistantly for some time yet.

I disagree with the talks of limiting the current winners with penaties and the like, as all it will do is bringing the top teams back to the rest, instead of rewarding the teams who have done it right, and "force" the other teams to do it right. I do agree that there should be a yearly "salary cap" as I wouldn't like to see the V8's end up like the BTCC when it was only the "factory" teams kicking butt (HRT is NOT a factory team).

Also keep in mind that if the TWR group of cars were not in the V8 Supercars, then Ford teams would be right up there.

Here endith thy lesson. :bs2:

PS. HRT suck! :s3

the house of grunt
Click on the above link to go to a site about my cars, old and new.
Grunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2002, 17:47   #6 (permalink)
Kodak Moment

Re: Why do Holden dominate racing in AUS?

Quote:
Originally posted by AUboy
I only recently started taking interest in Aussie car racing. However it seems as though Holden win the majority of the races. Am I suppose to believe their cars are better or we have less experienced drivers?
No, Just because Holden are good on the track dosen't mean thier cars are better. The only thing a V8SC has in common with its road equivalent is the bodyshell. A lot of people don't know or miss this point thus I would like to make sure as many people know as possible. Holden road cars may look good to some, and the power from the V8 is appealing, but thier cars lack the dynamics, and reliability of the Ford road cars. You will see other threads in this forum regarding engine failures, waterleaks, and in one case a HSV which literally felll apart.
marine1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2002, 18:16   #7 (permalink)
Blue Blooded Ford Man

^^^ Yeah, and that is what they have representing "us" Australians overseas.
Old 06-12-2002, 20:14   #8 (permalink)
Ford Focus WRC Driver.

From my limited experience following V8 supercars, I've put it down to three things.

1) Engineering.
2) Testing.
3) Driver skill.

Really....I hate to say it but Skaife is a good driver IMO. Maybe it's because everyone has to "push" to try and catch him! I mean, how many times has he spun off or made a driver error??
Old 06-12-2002, 21:10   #9 (permalink)
Interloper from LS1.com

It is a combo of the three things above, also that they have a few years experience of the same team and package.

They weren't all conquering and powerfull when they started out, it took a while.

Just seems the other teams just can't string it together?
Brendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2002, 21:34   #10 (permalink)
RACE

I have to agree with rallyman and Brendan. HRT have worked hard and worry about attention to detail. Skaife is currently Australias best race car driver although I'd like to see how he'd perform if he was stuck mid field every race. He mainly has open space in front of him.

I still think he's a knob.
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Fordforums Community > Latest Ford News and Racing News > Ford Racing Across the Globe