2003 Electronic Entertainment Expo, Here's a little something for you gammers. - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
¬Ľ Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Fordforums Community > Latest Ford News and Racing News > Ford Worldwide News
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-17-2003, 09:44   #1 (permalink)

2003 Electronic Entertainment Expo, Here's a little something for you gammers.

Click, Click, Zoom! Testing the latest driving games, racking up the miles on virtual test tracks

By Brandy A. Schaffels & Jeff Bartlett
Photography by the manufacturer
Motor Trend, May 16, 2003

One of the perks of this job is our annual pilgrimage to the Electronic Entertainment Expo. Every year we look forward to this dark and crowded world where the techno soundtrack rumbles with a deafening base beat. The audience was sardine crowded (more than 62,000 this year), and we bumped shoulder to shoulder with pasty-faced programmers, pierced and tatooed gamers, and buxom booth babes drawing our attention to their video wares. What would the Electronic Entertainment Expo be without the booth babes? Comely vixens whose short red hair perfectly matched their tall red boots.... Gothic vampire mistresses who gently flogged their subjects with whips made of hair.... Beautiful barbarians who posed with showgoers while flaunting their shapely, er, muscles. Yup, E3 had it all. Even games. At least 400 exhibitors were there at the Los Angeles Convention Center, hawking over 1350 new computer and gaming related products destined to make it to stores by the holiday gift-giving season.

The Expo offers something for everyone, regardless of whether you play on Nintendo GameCube, Sony PlayStation 2, Microsoft Xbox, Sega DreamCast, or even a Mac or PC-based computer setup. This year, we saw a new emphasis on portable games that go wherever you do, via cell phone, mobile devices, the traditional GameBoy system, or Sony's upcoming PlayStation handheld. And continuing from last year, interactive gaming via dialup and broadband connections has been expanded, with AOL offering extended online programming that will include streaming music, radio, movies, and game demo downloads as part of the PlayStation Bulletin Board Network.

As always the variety of genres represented is immense, ranging from first-person shooters, to mythical/fantasy/sci roleplaying, with everything you can imagine in between. Our focus is on finding and testing the latest driving games, racking up the miles on virtual test tracks, and getting seat time in driving simulations that feel almost as real as holding the steering wheels of the cars themselves. So flip on your system, click on your seatbelt, and let's zoom through the games. We've just getting started posting photos and reviews for the weekend, so check back in Monday when we add even more!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg motor trend 2003 electronic entertainment expo.jpg (28.3 KB, 17 views)

My next Ford.....
Stacy94PGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-17-2003, 09:50   #2 (permalink)

Corvette Racing
America's sports car will be honored this September with a console game commemorating the Corvette's 50th anniversary. We're told 120 production, concept, and racecars from that last half-century will be included. Developer TDK has tapped the talents at Fiske, Lingenfelter Engineering, and Vette luminary Dick Guldstrand for packaging modifications and performance upgrades. Game play is a balance between arcade and simulation, with our early test drive leaning to the former. The core theme is a race from Chicago to Santa Monica along Route 66, broken into manageable sections. The alpha version we piloted had limited physics differentiation between models, leaving us a little concerned about final game play, though TDK admits each car was not studied GT4-style to set up exact performance parameters. Considering its timing, we'd like to see more historical information and archival video used within the game. Given the potential for the title, we're keen to play the final product, especially in Xbox Live form. Available in the fall for PS2, Xbox, and a "lightened" version for GameBoy Advance for those who want to take their Corvette along for a handheld drive.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg motor trend 2003 electronic entertainment expo1.jpg (8.5 KB, 17 views)

My next Ford.....
Old 05-17-2003, 09:52   #3 (permalink)

Gran Turismo 4
The benchmark Gran Turismo franchise dominated the automotive sector with the first look (and drive) of the much-anticipated GT4. Due for release winter 2004, Sony's flagship car title promises to again raise the bar with over 500 cars; gorgeous, modeled scenery; more-detailed tracks; spot-on physics models; and accurate vehicle rendering. Gaming god Kazunori Yamauchi designed GT4 to enable players to experience the history of performance cars through myriad, detailed cars racing through major cities, breathtaking landscapes, and challenging road courses. New features like museums will provide the users history lessons, and a few favorite old features return, like used car dealers. Factor in online play, and GT4 is the game for auto enthusiasts to covet.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg motor trend 2003 electronic entertainment expo2.jpg (5.9 KB, 20 views)

My next Ford.....
Old 05-17-2003, 09:54   #4 (permalink)

IndyCar Series
Launching just in time to snare some spotlight at the Indianapolis 500, Codemasters' IndyCar Series title will offer PS2 players a chance to draft nose-to-wing at 220+ mph. Xbox and PC versions will follow in the spring with enhancements. Intended to appeal to novices and ardent enthusiasts, ICS has varying levels of difficulty that effectively transform the game from arcade racer to simulator. Focused on the 2002 season, ICS offers all the drivers and all the circuits giving the player a chance to compete for victory, though no fence-climbing option is factored in. To immerse the player in the world of Indy, each race is introduced by an ABC commentator, the game features three hours of video, and racer Eddie Cheever educates the player in Master Class sessions.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg motor trend 2003 electronic entertainment expo3.jpg (11.2 KB, 14 views)

My next Ford.....
Old 05-17-2003, 10:02   #5 (permalink)

Logitech Driving Force Pro
A partnership forged between Sony and Logitech for a custom steering wheel to support Gran Turismo 3 A-spec enters the next generation with the Driving Force Pro. Engineered in cooperation with GT4 developer Polyphony Digital over a two-year period, the DFP steering wheel has 900-degrees of rotation lock-to-lock to mimic real cars' steering. Further, the wheel will work with GT4 programming to provide a broad range of force feedback, from gentle to the extreme, allowing the game to more closely match real-world sensations. The wheel also has an automatic legacy mode to reduce rotation to 200 degrees to be compatible with older titles. DFP will be available when GT4 hits shelves. When exactly will that be? Kazunori tells us, not until the game is done to his satisfaction.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg motor trend 2003 electronic entertainment expo4.jpg (5.7 KB, 13 views)

My next Ford.....
Old 05-17-2003, 10:04   #6 (permalink)

Motor Trend Presents Lotus Challenge
A single marque game, Lotus Challenge celebrates the British automaker's 54-year racing history with 38 meticulously rendered cars. Numerous modes create diverse game play modes, including collection, championship, single play, stunt, and challenge. The combination of pro-style circuit and stunt in a single game adds a fun dimension. The cars span the full range of the company's history, from classic F1 racers to the Elise, along with concept cars adding depth. With testing conducted by Lotus, the game delivers among the most convincing driving feel available in console games today. On sale currently for Xbox, Lotus Challenge will soon be offered for the GameCube and PC.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg motor trend 2003 electronic entertainment expo5.jpg (9.5 KB, 11 views)

My next Ford.....
Old 05-17-2003, 10:07   #7 (permalink)

NASCAR Thunder 2004
Due in September, this latest Thunder title improves on the franchise with greater attention to visual details, short Speed Zone skill challenges, video segments on history and the sport, and new "grudge and alliance" feature. This last item is the most significant, as it adds depth and changes the game play. As the fans know, there are certain guys that gel and those that repel. Pulling these relationships into the game affects how the cars interact, including with the player. The CPU drivers will remember gentlemanly moves and overly aggressive moves, with floating "Fox Trax"-type indicators hovering above the cars. This nullifies the "ram right through the middle" driving strategy and will encourage players to drive more responsibly. A deep game, Thunder boasts big numbers: 175 cars, all 23 Winston Cup tracks, 12 fantasy road courses, 43 Winston Cup drivers, and 70 total drivers. Certain to delight fans, this edition of Thunder will also be more approachable by NASCAR neophytes.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg motor trend 2003 electronic entertainment expo6.jpg (7.3 KB, 10 views)

My next Ford.....
Old 05-17-2003, 10:13   #8 (permalink)

Need for Speed Underground
Electronics Arts' versatile franchise has embraced law enforcement with its Hot Pursuit games, and now takes another turn with "The Fast & The Furious" inspired street racing. Featuring 10 car manufacturers for approximately 30 car choices, NFSU is built around the Los Angeles-style sport compact subculture. Players can customize their cars with more paint, decals, and vinyl designs than can be found at a NOPI event. With phat looks, players compete in illegal street races to accumulate the cash needed to indulge in an array of performance components licensed from 45-plus companies. The presence of straightline drag racing adds a fresh element, along with a hyperspace speed effect for nitrous application that reminds of the film "Driven." NFSU hits the streets in spring 2004 on all three consoles and PC, with just PS2 and PC offering online play.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg motor trend 2003 electronic entertainment expo7.jpg (8.4 KB, 9 views)

My next Ford.....
Old 05-17-2003, 10:14   #9 (permalink)

Project Gotham Racing 2
PGR2 stood out as among the very best games we played, offering no apologies for being an early build. The core game features high-speed races through cities with both time and points determining success. The fun "kudos" system continues, rewarding show-off hero driving such as power slides, passing, or getting air. Perhaps because it feels like a fantasy Motor Trend photo shoot, the kudos help distinguish the PGR series from a number of other urban racers. PGR2 brings new vehicles to the high-speed party, including BMW Z4, BMW X5, Ferrari Enzo, and Porsche Cayenne. With noticeable improvements in lighting and crisp graphics, we expect this will be a hot title on Xbox Live when it goes on sale.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg motor trend 2003 electronic entertainment expo8.jpg (6.6 KB, 8 views)

My next Ford.....
Old 05-17-2003, 10:17   #10 (permalink)

Sega GT Online
Once billed as the Xbox answer to Gran Turismo 3, Sega GT is expanding to the Xbox Live service. New tracks, improved weather effects, and special time-triggered events enhance the new game. Log on and compete against up to six gamers while trash talking via the Live headset. Players can trade or bet their hard-earned cars and parts, adding an intriguing interactive aspect. Again, the cars can be enhanced with muffler, brakes, suspension, body weight, and tire tuning. Modified cars built up in Sega GT 2002 can be transferred to Sega GT Online, making the most of a committed player's long hours on the digital tracks. Look for Sega GT Online to hit stores in time for the holidays.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg motor trend 2003 electronic entertainment expo9.jpg (6.0 KB, 8 views)

My next Ford.....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Fordforums Community > Latest Ford News and Racing News > Ford Worldwide News