2003 Range Rover HSE - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
» Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Fordforums Community > Latest Ford News and Racing News > Ford Worldwide News
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-13-2002, 10:58   #1 (permalink)

2003 Range Rover HSE

Meet the best Range Rover ever built

By Chuck Schifsky
Truck Trend/Motor Trend

When is a BMW not a BMW? When it surfaces in the form of Land Rover's '03 Range Rover. Land Rover conceived its plans for a new Range Rover in 1996--about the same time the company's then-owner, BMW, started development of its X5 sport/utility. The goal was to spread engineering expenses across both platforms. This plan's master was Dr. Wolfgang Reitzle, at the time BMW's head of product development. Dr. Reitzle left BMW in 1999 to join Ford, where he was instrumental in Ford's purchase of Land Rover in 2000 and got a second chance to finish up the Range Rover. Despite this slight interruption in parental involvement, Reitzle has fathered a superb premium-luxury sport/utility vehicle.

Compared to the current model, this new Range Rover is a radical departure, at least mechanically. Gone are the body-on-frame architecture, solid axles, and ancient OHV engines. The new chassis is welded to the body in the name of greatly enhanced structural rigidity. MacPherson struts up front and an independent rear suspension out back replace the aforementioned live-axle setups. The new hardware also features airbags rather than springs (similar to the BMW X5).

The result is dramatically improved ride and handling. Land Rover identified the BMW 5 Series as the Range Rover's on-road driving dynamics-bogey. Though it's not quite that good--understandable given its equally important mission as a serious off-roader--it's 85-90 percent as capable as the decidedly sporty X5. Whereas the current vehicle leans and doesn't feel especially pinned down while cornering, the new one tackles curves as well as it does mud.

Off-road, the new version at least equals the present Range Rover--and that's a compliment. Like the current model, ride height is adjustable, offering low, medium, and high settings for entry/exit, highway, and off-road driving. The IRS rear differential is tucked up high, creating more ground clearance (11.0 in. versus old 8.4). Land Rover's renowned Hill Decent Control makes off-roading safer by limiting vehicle speed when descending steep terrain. The electronically shifted 4x4 system can be activated on the fly.

One of today's Range Rover's major weaknesses is its outdated 4.0 and 4.6L V-8 engines. BMW fixed this by providing the smooth and powerful DOHC 4.4L V-8 and five-speed automatic transmission with manual shift mode (both available in the X5). Yes, a Ford-owned brand powered by a BMW engine--no bad thing. Despite being 485 lb heavier than the current version, the '03 should run 0-60 mph in about 9.0 sec--or 1.5 sec faster than the '02.

While former owner BMW provided much engineering support, and new owner Ford contributed manufacturing expertise, veteran Land Rover designer Don Wyatt penned this bold, modern interpretation of the classic Range Rover theme. This elegantly imposing luxo 'ute is 9.3 in. longer, 2.6 wider, and 1.8 taller than its predecessor, on a wheelbase of 113.4 in. (a 5.3-in. increase).

While the exterior is evolutionary, the interior is revolutionary. Even though Land Rover claims few parts are shared between the Range Rover and X5, much of the Rover's interior is clearly BMW-sourced. No matter: It all makes for one of the most well-detailed, finely finished sport/utility cockpits ever. Its combination of leathers and woods is superb. The HDC and 4x4 levers mounted just aft of the shifter rate special mention for their ease of use. Interior room has increased, especially in the formerly tight back-seat area. Standard safety equipment includes dual front, front side, and front/rear head airbags, ABS, and Dynamic Stability Control.

The first Range Rover was introduced in 1970; the second-generation came along in 1994. Both were benchmarks of their time, but this newest Range Rover goes far beyond. Where the previous models lacked sophisticated engine technology and on-road driving dynamics, this fabulous Land Rover/BMW/Ford hybrid has it all and will be a sure hit among its affluent buyership. The ongoing challenge for Land Rover will be to produce future vehicles that are as well-engineered and as refined as this one, now that Ford has taken over and the access to BMW and its considerable engineering prowess is gone. Look for the new Range Rover to play in the rarified air between $70,000 and $80,000. TT

A New Dressing Room
For 50 years Land Rover has been building vehicles in Solihull, England. And from the outside, it's like nothing's changed; however, with $300 million of BMW monies, everything inside is completely new. Building each vehicle, essentially by hand, is now a thing of the past. Where two robots helped build the previous Range Rover, close to 130 robots are now responsible for production, assembly, and quality control. Land Rover is looking to produce 700 Range Rovers per week at the Solihull plant, with a little less than half of those coming to the U.S.--M.W.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg truck trend 2003 range rover hse1.jpg (28.8 KB, 449 views)

My next Ford.....
Stacy94PGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-13-2002, 11:00   #2 (permalink)

A pic of the interior....
Attached Images
File Type: jpg truck trend 2003 range rover hse2.jpg (10.5 KB, 12 views)

My next Ford.....
Old 12-14-2002, 07:26   #3 (permalink)

Wheel life: I love this leather-lined bully
(Filed: 14/12/2002) The Telegraph

The latest Ranger Rover is expensive, irrelevant, selfish, lists like an ocean liner and is utterly unbeatable in traffic, says Jason Barlow

I once tried to buy an original copy of The Beatles' White Album off a doctor. Beatles treasure hunters will tell you that a mint copy of one of the first half-million pressings of the Fab Four's confused and minimally-sleeved masterpiece is a copy well worth having. But the good doctor told me I was deluded, then cheekily diagnosed Asperger's syndrome, the symptoms of which are anti-social behaviour, pedantry about speech and an obsessive interest in a narrow range of subjects. He'd met the rest of my family, then. And most of my friends.

Guzzle, guzzle: 'I managed 17.3mpg in the Range Rover, which is not good at all'
Actually, they're a balanced bunch compared with me. I didn't get the cherished White Album in the end, but only because my medical associate refused to sell it to me on the grounds that I already owned two copies. A ridiculous cop-out. As with alcoholism and drug addiction, so the first step to recovery here is to admit to the existence of a problem. I haven't taken that step because I haven't got a problem. What I will concede is that becoming embroiled in the world of Beatles memorabilia has proved to be a fearsomely expensive distraction. Help? They said it. Collecting Picasso would have been a more cost-effective pastime.

Still, there are compensations to having a brain addled by useless obsession, especially at this time of year. I think it was writer Nick Hornby who first dragged the list-fixated Nineties male out of the half-light and gave him a designer anorak to wear. I remember practically weeping when I read Fever Pitch and High Fidelity. Suddenly, it wasn't just all right to be a pathetic trainspotter (that's a generic term, obviously, your actual trainspotter being beyond help), it was almost fashionable. Men the nation over were seen openly rejoicing in their hopelessness. We couldn't bang a nail into a wall straight, but we could tell you who was number one in April 1971, or what colour racing overalls Ayrton Senna was wearing when he scored his maiden F1 victory in Portugal in 1985. Women just groaned and battened down the hatches. Again.

So, gentlemen, spare a thought for the ladies. December, by some margin, has to be the most trying month. All those lists. Music lists. Movie ones. Sports personalities graded according to the magnitude of their achievement. News events compiled in order of apocalyptic portent. It might be freezing cold outside, but I could fashion a nice, snug little shelter out of all the lists I've accumulated in the past couple of weeks. Right now, the whole world has Asperger's.

I've boiled it down to this. Album of the year is unquestionably The Flaming Lips' Yoshimi Battles The Pink Robots. Actually, that's album title of the year, too. It's a haunting meditation on life and death disguised as one of those Japanese manga science fiction tales, and a beautiful, accessible, heart-warming record. Best film of 2002 has a similarly disturbed but arcadian rhythm to it, Wes Anderson's astonishing The Royal Tenenbaums. Listen to the former after watching the latter and you'll feel inspired by the everyday, truly elevated. Finally, my car of the year is the latest Range Rover. It's a selfish, self-centred, loathsome bastard of a car.

I shouldn't like it, I really shouldn't. It's sitting outside at the moment, and blends into my street with all the steely finesse of the monolith whose presence on primeval planet Earth kick-starts 2001: A Space Odyssey. It is very expensive - £60,000 for the range-topping V8 Vogue model - and is masterful at doing things only a minuscule number of owners will ever ask it to do. So it's 2002's most irrelevant car, too.

And yet, the Range Rover is magnificent. People say Smarts are the thing to have for driving around London, but they're wrong - the Range Rover beats everything else on the road into stunned submission. Urban driving isn't about nip and tuck or stealing a cheeky advantage wherever you can. It's about physical intimidation. The Range Rover excels at this - it's legitimised, leather-lined bullying. This morning I barged my way into some stationary traffic and got away with it with ridiculous ease. If London cruelly dismantles your driving etiquette, London by Range Rover finishes it off completely. I'm not proud of myself. In fact, I'm a git. So be it. I've gone over to the dark side. But if I drove a Smart, I'd be scared to step out my front door. A passing Nissan Micra might do me over.

Then there's the Range Rover's legendary thirst for fuel. Drive Honda's brilliant Insight or VW's impressive Golf PD TDI 150 and you become fixated with fuel economy, obsessed with stroking their ingenious engines into ever greater feats of parsimony. This is good for you, good for me and good for the planet. I managed 17.3mpg in the Range Rover, which is not good at all. In fact, I should have been able to get that down to at least 12mpg.

The Range Rover's heated steering wheel must account for at least one mpg of that overall figure. Yes, I did say heated steering wheel. Wait 30 seconds or so, and this little beauty warms the hands more effectively than a small industrial furnace. It's not just the wheel that pampers you, though. The rest of the interior revamps all the tired old wood and leather cliches and repositions them in an appealingly modern idiom. All the hard work was done by BMW when it still owned Land Rover, so its high quality feel will be entirely alien to long-term Range Rover owners. I've driven six different examples now, and nothing has fallen off any of them. Amazing.

Of course, it rides beautifully for such a corpulent beast, and its (BMW) engine and transmission move the 2.5-ton mountain with the expected aplomb. Granted, it still doesn't much care for corners, and it lists like an ocean liner in a force 10 if you overdo it, despite the clever suspension hardware underneath. But I don't care. Because I've got to go out now, and I'm not going to a corner or a racing circuit, I'm going to get stuck in a load of traffic like I usually do.

Tonight, though, I'm really going to enjoy myself.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg emrbarl14.jpeg (5.4 KB, 10 views)

My next Ford.....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Fordforums Community > Latest Ford News and Racing News > Ford Worldwide News