Another bill Ford don't need - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
» Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Fordforums Community > Latest Ford News and Racing News > Ford Worldwide News
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-14-2002, 21:18   #1 (permalink)

Another bill Ford don't need

Land Rover could suspend assembly of Discovery sport-utes next month
because of a legal dispute with a supplier. UPF-Thompson, the company that
crafts the chassis for the Disco, is bankrupt and the receiver, KMPG, is
demanding a $65 million payment from Land Rover to keep UPF open for
business. With no other suppliers for the chassis, Land Rover could be
faced with paying the charge or with re-engineering the chassis and laying
off more than 1400 workers until a rework is complete. Rover has offered
some money to KMPG, but talks are still ongoing.
HSE2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-15-2002, 06:17   #2 (permalink)
Capri mkIII Member

More info on this

The chassis they have at present will run out on the 25th of this month and when this happens the sh** hits the fan so there will have to be some kind of resolution to this situ soon .

So watch the press, as to see the demise of the Disco and 1400 jobs aint going to make happy campers all round and someone will have to suggest something soon.

John
The Flying Haggis
28s3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2002, 13:10   #3 (permalink)

This is one hell of a mess. I wonder will the Government step in?

1400 jobs is a significant number. Thanks for the update. Look forward to keeping an eye on this thread for any news that breaks in the UK on this issue
Old 01-15-2002, 15:20   #4 (permalink)
Capri mkIII Member

Not really sure what the government will do but the only thing I can think of is that Land Rover stump up the money and then get a better deal of them in future???? Its possibility????

John
The Flying Haggis
Old 01-16-2002, 15:03   #5 (permalink)
Ford Member

roll

I actually hope Ford quits making Range Rovers and the Discovery. Not only are these things an eyesore for our American cities, but they have pollution comparable to the Chevy Suburban or Excursion. Ford needs to focus on the new small Rover introduced at the autoshow and ditch the others. Those big boxy looking things are certainly not meant for some new soccer mom to haul around groceries in the suburbs. Ford: Please add the Range Rover and Land Rover Discovery to the vehicles that will bite the dust, and concentrate on quality vehicles. Those 1400 workers could be used for a whole new generation of small sport utes. No jobs lost-only bad vehicles.
fedup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2002, 17:43   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally posted by fedup
I actually hope Ford quits making Range Rovers and the Discovery. Not only are these things an eyesore for our American cities, but they have pollution comparable to the Chevy Suburban or Excursion. Ford needs to focus on the new small Rover introduced at the autoshow and ditch the others. Those big boxy looking things are certainly not meant for some new soccer mom to haul around groceries in the suburbs. Ford: Please add the Range Rover and Land Rover Discovery to the vehicles that will bite the dust, and concentrate on quality vehicles. Those 1400 workers could be used for a whole new generation of small sport utes. No jobs lost-only bad vehicles.
Fedup

While I respect your opinion on this issue and you are certainly entitled to it, the only comments you make on this board are of a negitive manner on this issue.

The fact the new Range Rover uses motors from BMWs car options means they too should be baned or discontinued.
Old 01-17-2002, 11:37   #7 (permalink)
Capri mkIII Member

HSE its ok , what this guy needs is a dose of me and what he doesn't realise is that Land Rover make possibly the best 4x4's in the world !!!!

Time to put on the preachers outfit!!!!LOL

Not until the japanesse got in on the game did the dominince in the world market ebbed . Oh and please don't use the argument the jeep was first as that was built out of a neccesity of war , not to bring forward the frontiers of engineering . Land Rovers engineering skills were copied the world over . Remember the exercise where Mazda put the stats of a Lotus elan into a computer and came out with the MX5 , do you think that was the first time the japanesse had done that, where do you think the Land Crusier came from ?????

The Disco was not designed for school runs but for farmers who want a bit of comfort thats why the insides are full of hard durable plastics and it has the highest ground clearance and the best off roading abilities in its class . As for the emmission question I suggest check the stats there not that bad and pass even your stringent American emmisions tests .

As for the Range Rover this was a first and every one copied it so no questions over its design or its intent . Even the mighty Mercs cannot beat it !!!

So in all , all I can think of is that you are a jeep owner (ex owner) and bitter about it and see this as revenge or better still you live near a school and can't get to work in the morning because of them .

By the way the 1400 jobs are not just Ford , theres the plant that make it for them (they are a seperate company) , the comunity that supports this factory so this is quite a serious matter for Ford to resolve especialy since the lay offs in the states .

some may say I'm being harsh here but why not go tell Newton the apple did not hit his head , why not tell Pascal he got his sums wrong , why not tell Jimi Hendrix he's playing the wrong cord and why not dig the knife into Land Rover ... because they are damn good at there job, making good 4x4's!!!!!

John
The Flying Haggis

P.s. 4 door ??????? Civic??????? Hybrid???????
Please! at least suggest you might want a vtec and have fun .

P.P.s do you actualy like Ford's, really , genuine qurstion?? Do you like or have owned a Ford ????
Old 01-17-2002, 13:05   #8 (permalink)

Part of Fed ups arguements, or at least some of the ones I have read is that he/she objects to the way and number of SUVs in heavily populated areas. I don't live in such an area so I can't really imaging what that must be like but I image it might be over kill and potentially dangerous.

But the problem here isn't the manufactures. All they are doing is catering for a demand. To make a difference you have to convince people that they don't need SUVs. Once that happens companies like Ford will have no choice but to modify the dynamics and change direction.

Like it or not Land rover was a very smart buy by Ford. In the 4x4 world it is the strongest brand with the most heritage.
In some ways Fedup is right to point the finger to Spen Kings Range Rover because without a shadow of doubt this is the car that gives us what we have today in the SUV market.
Old 01-17-2002, 13:56   #9 (permalink)
Capri mkIII Member

I do agree with the school run(4x4 crowd) problem these people want there heads looking at and to a further point even small mpv's . they have the car the length of a 5 series , the hight of a 4x4 and the passengers can't see over the window they are that young or worst still once they drop them off they then create a traffic jam going to work and no passengers , it is stupid but I just look upon it as a waste of money on there part , and they are the ones paying the price not me . There car cost more to run on insurance , fuel , parts , repairs and all the rest and they are loosing money each year on depreciation .Why because they want to see further , they feel safer , question , ever been in a serious road accident ?? it doesn't matter if you drive a tank , I still get jittery passing big trucks.

Whats even better is that the attitudes of people today aren't going to change until they come upon an emergancy situation and something happens . The 4x4 rolls and kills them , a kid runs out and they never seen them they were to high up , they hit someone elses car and kill that person ??? anything ???

And these people will have to live with that scar because of there own personal choice.

Its a shit world and we live in it, just avoid the idiots on route and life does get better .

P.s i'm planning to get a place in the country so I can avoid all this garbage and no need to deal with rush hour again .

Fedup I suggest you do too

John
The Flying Haggis
Old 01-18-2002, 01:42   #10 (permalink)

An update on the situation

The Ford subsidiary threatened to suspend Discovery production and lay off 1,400 workers earlier this week, due to a legal dispute with KPMG. The carmaker has taken legal action against the auditing firm after it demanded payment of some 45 million from Land Rover to secure the future of British engineering group, UPF-Thompson, its sole supplier of chassis for the Discovery model. KPMG are acting as receivers for the insolvent UPF, which has debts estimated at more than 50 million.

The Ford subsidiary has invited GKN to consider tooling and supply arrangements for its Solihull plant in the Midlands. It is understood that GKN could emerge as a possible buyer for UPF. KPMG has reportedly had meetings with GKN about taking over the insolvent engineering group, which employs more than 600 workers at three plants in the Midlands. The combined value of the Land Rover contract and other assets at UPF is put at 51.3 million. But even if GKN is interested in a takeover of UPF, it would take several months for GKN to develop and deliver an alternative chassis for the Discovery. (Financial Times) (17/02/01)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Fordforums Community > Latest Ford News and Racing News > Ford Worldwide News