British Show Spotlights Performance, James Bond - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
» Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Fordforums Community > Latest Ford News and Racing News > Ford Worldwide News
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-22-2002, 13:16   #1 (permalink)

British Show Spotlights Performance, James Bond

Posted 10/22/02
From cars.com reports

BIRMINGHAM, England — With the newest James Bond flick “Die Another Day” set to open on Nov. 22, it’s no surprise that 007 played a dominant role during the media preview of the 2002 British International Motor Show.

James Bond will drive the Aston Martin Vanquish (foreground) in “Die Another Day” while his enemy will drive the Jaguar XKR (middle) and Bond babe Jinx (played by Halle Berry) will drive a Ford Thunderbird (rear) in the film.

The biennial show featured three of the vehicles — an Aston Martin Vanquish, a Jaguar XKR and a Ford Thunderbird — that will be driven by Bond, his nemesis Zao and Jinx, the requisite Bond babe, respectively. Because they’ll be driving on ice in the movie, each vehicle sports snow chains and studded tires. As is customary with all Bond vehicles, each features guns, missiles, rocket launchers and other gee-whiz gadgets that could all be activated with the push of a button.

“Die Another Day” represents the first Bond movie since “Goldeneye” in 1995 to feature Aston Martin vehicles. Since then, 007 has fancied BMW models.

“It’s great to see Bond back in a British car,” said Bob Dover, chief operating officer of Aston Martin, Jaguar and Land Rover. “He’s back where he belongs.”

While Aston Martin featured the Bond vehicle, Jaguar rolled out its newest model, the XJ6. First seen last month at the Paris Motor Show, the XJ6 features an all-aluminum body and a V-6 engine capable of producing 240 horsepower. Inside, a three-way, multimedia entertainment system comes with screens installed in the front-seat head restraints.

Honda also played up performance as it unveiled the Civic Type-S, its newest five-door hatchback. Built solely for the British market, the Civic Type-S will feature a 2.0-liter, 16-valve engine capable of reaching 130 mph. Its zero-to-62 mph acceleration time of 8.5 seconds puts it in the “hot hatch” category.

Struggling British carmaker MG Rover took the wraps off its new sports car, the MG XPower SV. “All MGs are about risk, excitement and driving pleasure, and the X-Power SV is an example of an extreme MG — it’s got great potential for both the road and the track,” said Peter Stevens, director of product and design for MG Rover. The 2+2 sports car employs a 326-hp, 4.6-liter V-8 engine. Customers seeking more power can have the engine upgraded to as much as 965 hp, thanks to tuners and factory-approved nitrous oxide injection kits. Prices begin at £65,000 (about $100,500).

The British Motor Show opens to the public on Friday, Oct. 25 and runs to Sunday, Nov. 3 at the National Exhibition Centre in Birmingham, England. Show hours are from 9:30 a.m. to 7 p.m.

Pierce Brosnan will drive the Aston Martin Vanquish when he stars as James Bond in “Die Another Day”. Although he has been driving BMWs recently, Bond has historically been an Aston Martin fan. Missiles and Bond girls not included.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg 1022vanquish_girls310.jpeg (16.5 KB, 245 views)

My next Ford.....
Stacy94PGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-22-2002, 13:19   #2 (permalink)

Invicta S1

Although major European and global automotive companies featured debuts and introductions, two independent British automakers garnered attention for their premieres. After two years of speculation and secrecy, Invicta introduced its S1 supercar. The S1 features a one-piece, carbon-fiber bodyshell bonded to a steel-tube, spaceframe chassis. A 4.6-liter, V-8 engine, developed by Ford’s Special Vehicle Team, produces 320 hp and 300 pounds-feet of torque. Overall, the S1 weighs 1,100 kilograms (2,420 pounds), which is about 600 pounds lighter than the Ford SVT Mustang Cobra. Invicta engineers predict the S1 will reach 60 mph in 5 seconds and 100 mph in 11. The S1 costs about £70,000 (around $108,000) and will start tearing up British roadways in early 2003.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg 1022invectasupercar310.jpeg (15.6 KB, 12 views)

My next Ford.....
Stacy94PGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Fordforums Community > Latest Ford News and Racing News > Ford Worldwide News