BUILDING NEW POWER TRAIN: Ford's 3-valve engine packs more power, torque for F150 - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
» Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Fordforums Community > Latest Ford News and Racing News > Ford Worldwide News
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-05-2002, 19:13   #1 (permalink)

BUILDING NEW POWER TRAIN: Ford's 3-valve engine packs more power, torque for F150

November 6, 2002
BY MARK PHELAN
DETROIT FREE PRESS BUSINESS WRITER

Ford Motor Co. counts on a new, optional engine to drive even more profits to its best-selling vehicle, the F150 pickup.

The updated engine, a 5.4-liter V8 that has three valves per cylinder rather than two, gives the F150 the most horsepower and torque of any light-duty pickup, Ford says. The engine is made in Windsor and will be available next year.

Ford sold about 250,000 F150s with the old two-valve 5.4-liter in 2001. It has capacity to build about 350,000 of the new engines. The 5.4-liter powered about 71 percent of all F150s sold last year. "We expect the three-valve to make our product mix a little richer" as customers choose the more powerful engine instead of a V6 or smaller V8, said Dave Szczupak, vice president of power train operations.

The three-valve engine produces 300 horsepower, 15 percent more than the two-valve it replaces, and 365 pound-feet of torque, a 5-percent improvement. It is also the first full-size pickup engine to offer variable valve timing, which helps improve fuel efficiency.

"We've got more torque at 1,700 r.p.m. than most of our competitors have at their peak output," Szczupak said.

Ford will add three-valve heads to its 4.6-liter V8 and 6.8-liter V10 within several years. Torque is a big selling point for full-size pickups because it reflects towing capacity.

The engine also has an electrically controlled valve in each of its air-intake passages that opens or closes depending on engine speed. The valve helps ensure that the engine receives the right amount of air for optimum power and fuel efficiency. Szczupak said the engine is noticeably quieter than the model it replaces.

My next Ford.....
Stacy94PGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-07-2002, 05:55   #2 (permalink)

NEW TRITON V-8 POWERING ’04 F-150

Gary Witzenburg/TCC/11-07-02

LAS VEGAS – At a media dinner following a long and busy day at the annual Specialty Equipment Market Association convention here, Ford Motor Co. Powertrain Operations vice president Dave Szczupak unveiled the next-generation Ford Triton light-truck V-8 engine.

After entering stage right in dramatic fashion, driving a bright yellow 2003 Mustang Mach 1 into the room and revving its 305-hp engine for effect, Szczupak discussed Ford’s global powertrain strategy and other new and soon-to-come engines, transmissions and advanced powertrains. Then he enthused about this new 5.4-liter SOHC three-valve per cylinder Triton V-8, which will power the next generation of Ford’s best-selling F-150 pickups due next fall.

With a stiff cast-iron block, lightweight aluminum heads, magnesium cam covers and composite intake manifold, it is the latest member of Ford’s modular V-8 family (launched in the early 1990s), the first three-valve and the first to use variable cam timing (VCT). To optimize actuation of the single exhaust and twin intake valves across the rev range, VCT shifts their timing up to 50 degrees relative to the crankshaft angle, depending on engine speed and load conditions, and has the added advantage of reducing pumping losses.

Using two intake valves to increase airflow into the cylinders for improved top-end power, Ford engineers say they were able to get many benefits of a four-valve design – including a symmetrical combustion chamber and central spark plug – without the added package size, cost, weight and complexity of adding a second exhaust valve per cylinder and a second camshaft per head. The result is a best-in-class 300 hp at 5000 rpm and 365 lb-ft of torque at 3750 rpm (with 90 percent of that torque available between 2250 and 4750 rpm), improvements of 15 percent in power and five percent in peak torque vs. the 5.4-liter two-valve engine it will soon replace.

“Our new three-valve, 5.4-liter Triton engine, to be launched in our next-generation 2004 F-150 pickup, provides more of the qualities our customers love in a V-8 engine – plenty of power, with instant gratification when you push the accelerator pedal,” says Pete Dowling, Ford’s manager of Modular Engine Programs. “To this, we’ve added a new level of smoothness, quiet operation and efficiency. It’s the best of all worlds.”

Other interesting features include charge-motion control valves – which create a small, computer-designed opening for the air-fuel mixture at low speeds to induce turbulence for improved atomization and burn efficiency – and an easy-to-access air-filter element in a pullout drawer on top of the engine.

The new Triton V-8 will be produced in Ford of Canada’s two largest engine plants, which have undergone a massive three-year, $485 million expansion program for that purpose. The three-valve cylinder heads will be built by the Windsor Engine Plant and shipped to an all-new production line at the Essex Engine Plant for final assembly. Interestingly, one other major automaker making use of SOHC three-valve heads today is Mercedes-Benz.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg 6373_image.jpeg (6.1 KB, 35 views)

My next Ford.....
Old 11-08-2002, 13:58   #3 (permalink)

ARE YOU JEALOUS??

FROM THE LAND DOWN UNDER...
WE ALREADY GOT IT....ALL OF IT AND MORE SO MUCH MORE!!!
tx3dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2002, 08:13   #4 (permalink)

(08:50 Nov. 25, 2002)
Ford Motor designs a new V-8 for next-generation F-150 pickup

By RICHARD TRUETT | Automotive News

LAS VEGAS -- The Toyota Tundra stands virtually no chance of knocking off the Ford F-150 as the nation's top-selling pickup.

Yet, Ford Motor Co. engineers used it as a benchmark when they designed a 5.4-liter V-8 for the next-generation F-150.

Ford took a page from Toyota's playbook and declared war on noise, vibration and harshness. It's yet another indication that automakers are making pickups more carlike. "That's what customers told us they wanted," said Ford Powertrain Chief Engineer Dan Kapp.

To do so, Ford chose to design a multivalve powertrain - a common engine design for cars but still unusual for torque-hungry pickups.

Ford's Triton powertrain is the only three-valve-per-cylinder V-8 truck engine on the market. It has two intake valves and one exhaust valve per cylinder. The Triton engine delivers 300 hp and 365 pounds-feet of torque at 3,750 rpm.

That's a significant improvement over Ford's current 5.4-liter V-8, which produces 260 hp and 350 pounds-feet of torque at 2,500 rpm.

Pete Dowding, manager of Ford's modular engine program, said, "You really don't want to keep increasing cubic capacity of engines all the time."

Ford's clean-sheet approach required a major investment; the tooling alone will cost the company $485 million.

Moreover, it led Ford to diverge from the more conventional powertrain strategies of its rivals, General Motors and the Chrysler group, which continue to equip their pickups with pushrod engines. The new Dodge 5.7-liter Hemi V-8 uses two valves per cylinder, as does GM's Vortech V-8.

An innovative spark plug allowed Ford to boost Triton's power without making the engine larger. The plug's 10-millimeter diameter is smaller than a regular spark plug. And the electrode extends about 2 inches past the threaded area. That allows bigger engine valves, which in turn increases power.

Other technological features include:

Variable valve timing on both intake and exhaust valves.

An induction system with electrically controlled butterfly valves at the ends of the intake runners. The valves speed the flow of air and fuel into the engine, causing a tumble effect that improves combustion and boosts torque at low engine speeds.

Unique deep-reach spark plugs with special tips that do not intrude into the combustion chamber.

A more rigid cast-iron block. Additional ribs make the engine block more rigid, reducing vibration. The powertrain's aluminum heads, composite oil pan and magnesium valve covers also reduce weight and muffle noise.

Ford will need the additional power to fend off competition from the new 5.7-liter, 345-hp Hemi engine in the Dodge Ram truck.

The Triton engine is built at two plants in Windsor, Ontario. One factory makes the heads, while the other assembles the engines. Ford invested $485 million in both plants to prepare for the new engine, which is expected to be a workhorse in the company's truck lineup. The 2004-model F-150 is scheduled to go on sale late next summer.

My next Ford.....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Fordforums Community > Latest Ford News and Racing News > Ford Worldwide News