E.U.:Ford workers strike over job fears - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Fordforums Community > Latest Ford News and Racing News > Ford Worldwide News
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-06-2003, 06:58   #1 (permalink)

E.U.:Ford workers strike over job fears

BBC News UK Edition

Workers at Ford's plant in Genk, Belgium, have launched a 24-hour strike in protest at the elimination of 3,000 jobs.

The US car giant last week started to detail plans for up to 12,000 job losses worldwide, part of a programme to get its finances in shape in the current sluggish market.

The firm has called off plans to produce its Focus model at Genk - a severe blow to the plant, leading to the loss of almost one-third of its 9,500 staff.

A Ford spokesman confirmed that the plant was not operating, but said that unions had promised to have workers back at their posts for the first shift on Tuesday.

Even then, however, staff will continue a blockade of deliveries to and from the plant, which was launched when the news came out last week.

The spokesman said he had no idea how long the blockade would persist, or how Ford would be able to keep production going when its factory gates were barred.

(Photo)The Genk plant will not now produce the Focus
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg _39417102_ford_203.jpeg (11.7 KB, 3 views)

My next Ford.....
Stacy94PGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-08-2003, 07:57   #2 (permalink)

Re: E.U.:Ford workers strike over job fears

Auto.com

Belgians return to Ford

Ford Motor Co. employees resumed work at their Belgian plant Tuesday but planned intermittent stoppages to protest the elimination of 3,000 jobs and the cancellation of promised investment.

Tuesday's morning shift had to start late because parts were delayed. Unions had blocked off the factory since the job cuts were announced last week.

Unions still will oversee what equipment and production parts leave the plant, in hopes of assuring that Ford doesn't take its production elsewhere. Unions also hope to affect production at other plants by keeping some parts in Genk.

The 9,500 workers at the Genk plant held a 24-hour strike Monday, and production had been stopped since the cuts were announced last Wednesday.

My next Ford.....
Old 10-11-2003, 07:27   #3 (permalink)

Re: E.U.:Ford workers strike over job fears

Unions stage a new 24-hour strike at Ford Belgian plant

Autos Insider
By Associated Press

BRUSSELS, Belgium -- Ford Motor Co. workers started their second 24-hour strike in five days at a Belgian plant on Friday, continuing their labor action over the company's decision last week to eliminate 3,000 jobs and cancel promised investment.

The daylong strike was called early Friday following newspaper articles highlighting rumors the plant in Genk, which employs 8,300, would have to close over the next years.

"The articles were quickly known and work at the plant subsequently stopped," said union spokesman Gerard Ignoul.

Over the past days, the workers had already shortened their shift by two hours and, by blocking the gate and keeping out car parts, they also affected production at the plant.

Unions said Ford managers had warned this week they would start sending workers home without pay unless production returned to normal.

Production was interrupted as of Oct. 1, when unions blocked the delivery of parts from suppliers.

Ford cited sagging sales and rising costs for the job eliminations and investment cuts of some $1.05 billion at the Belgian plant.

My next Ford.....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Fordforums Community > Latest Ford News and Racing News > Ford Worldwide News