E.U.: Frankfurt 2003 Auto Show - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
¬Ľ Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Fordforums Community > Latest Ford News and Racing News > Ford Worldwide News
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-07-2003, 22:14   #1 (permalink)

E.U.: Frankfurt 2003 Auto Show

Automotive News Europe

Aston Martin

The Aston Martin DB9, is the replacement for the DB7, the biggest selling car in Aston Martinís history. The DB9 is crucial for the small British sports car firm, owned by Ford Motor Co. The DB9, a 2+2 sports car, will be the first car built at Aston Martinís new factory in Gaydon, England.

Production begins at the end of this year, and Aston Martin plans to build 2,200 of them annually.

The DB9 is built on Aston Martinís bonded aluminum VH (vertical-horizontal) platform.

All future Aston Martin models, including the V9 Vantage will be built on the same platform. The aluminum is bonded with strong adhesives, which will be applied by the only robot in the plant.

The DB9 will still be built by hand. Each car will take about 200 hours to build. The body shell is 25 percent lighter than the DB7.

The DB9 will be powered by a 450hp, 6.0-liter V-12 engine. Top speed is listed at 186mph (299kph).

Two transmissions will be offered: a ZF drive-by-wire six-speed automatic with a Touchtronic mode and a conventional six-speed.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg astondb91400.jpeg (14.1 KB, 8 views)

My next Ford.....
Stacy94PGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-07-2003, 22:17   #2 (permalink)

Ford

Ford isn't talking much about the Visos concept it is showing at the IAA, but advance materials say: "There's a feeling inside Ford's inner sanctum that this might just be one of its most significant projects ever."

Auto magazines have linked Visos to the Ford Capri 2+2 sports car from the 1970s and 1980s, but Ford officials say such talk is speculative.

Though there are no plans to produce Visos, the concept car could easily be manufactured, a Ford official said.

Ford officials say Visos points the way to its future European design language.

"The vehicle is very dramatic, drawing inspiration from some of the well-loved European Fords of the past," said Chris Bird, Ford's European design chief.

"Yet it isn't a retro design; rather, it takes aspects of what made those designs so emotional and wraps them into a dynamic, forward-thinking look, designed to bring a smile to your face."

The Visos has "customizable displays, user-adaptable engine modes and technology that enables it to display more than one personality," he said.

Ford will also show its C-Max compact minivan with a new 1.6-liter gasoline engine. The C-Max already has a 2.0-liter diesel, with a 1.6-liter diesel on the way. In addition, the C-Max will get a continuously variable six-speed transmission. Also on display will be face-lifted versions of the Mondeo and Galaxy.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg Fordvisos1400.jpeg (4.7 KB, 5 views)

My next Ford.....
Old 09-07-2003, 22:18   #3 (permalink)

Jaguar

Purists may complain that tradition is being cast aside when Jaguar unveils its new station wagon but the company hopes the model will bring a sales boost for its slow-selling X-type series.

Jaguar enthusiasts will be upset that the station wagon is too much of a break from the company's classic models of the past.

But station wagons currently account for more than a quarter of sales in the X-type market in Europe and Jaguar aims to capture a large share for itself.

Aftermarket coachbuilders converted the occasional Jaguar XJ into a station wagon in the past but the forthcoming Jaguar X-type Estate will be the first production Jaguar station wagon.

It will be called the X-type Estate in most European markets, with a couple of exceptions, where it will be known as the X-type Wagon.

Designed at Jaguar's styling center in Whitley, England, the X-type Estate will feature integrated roof rails and a rear window that opens separately from the tailgate.

The station wagon will have the same powertrains as the X-type sedan including the 2.0-liter V-6, 2.5-liter and 3.0-liter gasoline engines and the 2.0-liter diesel.

The IAA will mark the first show where Jaguar has displayed its X-type diesel-engine cars.

Jaguar will present a new design study showing the direction of future models. The company is already looking at entering the booming sport-utility market.

Jaguar also will show a concept called RD-6. It will be an all-aluminum car with a V-6 turbo diesel engine from the S-type model as well as features from the XJ.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg Jagxtypeestate1400.jpeg (36.7 KB, 4 views)

My next Ford.....
Old 09-07-2003, 22:20   #4 (permalink)

Land Rover

Land Rover's face-lifted version of the Freelander compact sport-utility will have a more premium feel -- and the price is likely to go up accordingly.

Although the underlying mechanicals are basically the same as the outgoing model, the new Freelander takes design cues from its big brother, the Range Rover.

On the outside, the most striking difference will be the front and rear light clusters, closely resembling those of the Range Rover.

The interior has been upgraded, with switches arranged more logically. The electric window switches, for example, will be on the doors instead of next to the emergency brake.

Aware that many owners of sport-utilities seldom take them off-road, Land Rover also will make a new derivative -- the Freelander Sport. The Sport model will have a lower suspension and will be geared to sportier on-road performance.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg landroverfreelander1400.jpeg (31.1 KB, 2 views)

My next Ford.....
Old 09-07-2003, 22:22   #5 (permalink)

Mazda

Mazda will unveil a concept car, the Kusabi, alongside its new Mazda3, right the Japanese carmaker's rival to the Volkswagen Golf and Opel Astra.

The Kusabi -- a small, lightweight, diesel-powered sports car concept -- clearly indicates Mazda's current direction in its bid to expand its future presence in the compact car segment.

Kusabi is Japanese for "preparing the way for something new."

The Mazda3 is the latest chapter in the Japanese brand's Millennium Plan revitalization.

The upper-medium Mazda6 was primarily responsible for kick-starting Mazda's comeback in Europe this year. Mazda hopes the 3 will continue the success in the lower-medium sector in 2004.

The Mazda3 is also an important car because it is derived from the next-generation Ford Focus platform.

The Mazda3 will go on sale in left-hand-drive markets in October, and will appear in right-hand-drive markets in December or January.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg Mazda31400.jpeg (33.0 KB, 5 views)

My next Ford.....
Old 09-07-2003, 22:25   #6 (permalink)

Volvo

The all-new Volvo S40 will be the first Volvo built on a Ford platform -- Volvo's version of the next-generation Focus platform, known internally as P1.

The outgoing S40 and its sibling station wagon, the V40, share a platform with the Mitsubishi Carisma and are built alongside the Japanese car at the NedCar plant in Born, the Netherlands.

Premium versions of the old S40 and V40 will continue to be built at Born until about June 2004 while Volvo ramps up production of the new car.

The S40 will go on sale in Sweden before the end of the year and in most other European markets early next year.

The sales target is 70,000 for 2004 including 20,000 in the USA, the largest market for the car.

The new S40 will be built at Volvo's Ghent, Belgium, plant, which has been renovated and refurbished at a cost of e340 million.

The station wagon, to be renamed the V50, will follow next year, probably at Geneva.

The S40's design evolves from that of its big brother, the S60. The S40's interior has a new free-floating center console, a first for Volvo.

The S40 will be introduced in premium versions with two five-cylinder gasoline engines including a 220hp, 2.4-liter turbo and a 170hp non-turbo version. There also will be a 136hp, four-cylinder turbodiesel. Further engine offerings will come later.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg volvoS402400.jpeg (25.3 KB, 4 views)

My next Ford.....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Fordforums Community > Latest Ford News and Racing News > Ford Worldwide News